Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Murray is British again

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If (and it's a huge if) we win The Davis Cup, Murray deserves a knighthood. To have got this far as a one man team is already a stunning achievement. Has he even dropped a rubber yet?

I know some people are still holding a joke he made 10 years ago against him but is there a British sportsman of his era to admire more?

He's not the most talented player out there at the moment but through sheer dedication and force of will has made himself much more than a footnote in an era of tennis that will be remembered as one of the best ever.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Murray has won Olympic Gold, and 2 Grand slams right? He's never been ranked number 1 in the world. Several have done better, like Bradeley Wiggins, Chirs Hoy, Ben Ainsley, Steve Redgrave, Rory McIlroy.

Steve Redgrave isn't Murray's era.

Wiggins and Hoy are lucky enough to be in a sport that Britain has invested heavily in and dominated in their time.

McIlroy's been lucky to play in an era where there isn't really a great deal else about. Let's see how he gets on with some real competition in Spieth.

Ainsley's a bloody good shout though.

Part of my point is that Murray isn't the most naturally talented. His success is down to hard work and determination. Notice I said 'to admire' not 'the best.'

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wiggins and Hoy are lucky enough to be in a sport that Britain has invested heavily in and dominated in their time.
Hmmm, so Wiggins winning an Olympic gold medal in 2004 before any funding, then going on to win more Olympic medals than any other Brit as well as scores of professional road races and the Tour de France in a professional career spanning 11 years, was lucky.

Yet poor little Andy Murray, who is regularly beaten by the worlds best has reached the dizzying heights of not quite good enough, with no support or investment.

If his success is down to hard work and determination, he clearly needs to work harder and be a little more determined.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If (and it's a huge if) we win The Davis Cup, Murray deserves a knighthood. To have got this far as a one man team is already a stunning achievement. Has he even dropped a rubber yet?

I know some people are still holding a joke he made 10 years ago against him but is there a British sportsman of his era to admire more?

He's not the most talented player out there at the moment but through sheer dedication and force of will has made himself much more than a footnote in an era of tennis that will be remembered as one of the best ever.

He is the best British sportsman still active at the moment, Wiggins a close second

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hmmm, so Wiggins winning an Olympic gold medal in 2004 before any funding, then going on to win more Olympic medals than any other Brit as well as scores of professional road races and the Tour de France in a professional career spanning 11 years, was lucky.

It's a sport where he gets to sit down all the time, how hard can it be.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Yet poor little Andy Murray, who is regularly beaten by the worlds best has reached the dizzying heights of not quite good enough, with no support or investment.

If his success is down to hard work and determination, he clearly needs to work harder and be a little more determined.

Fair do's, wasn't aware of quite how far Wiggins success went back.

Winning what Murray has in an era of greats is an awesome achievement. If he somehow managed to get us over the line in the Davis Cup it would be an unbelievable achievement.

You talk about him like he'd won nothing a la Henman.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont look on cycling as a sport as everybody learns to ride bike when they are about 3 years old. plus the budding Bradley Wiggins hold me up when I am in a hurry. I dont like tennis either butt would put Murray above Wiggins in any vote.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair do's, wasn't aware of quite how far Wiggins success went back.

Winning what Murray has in an era of greats is an awesome achievement. If he somehow managed to get us over the line in the Davis Cup it would be an unbelievable achievement.

You talk about him like he'd won nothing a la Henman.
Just responding to you belittling everyone else who are actually great, as opposed to 'almost but not quite'.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I dont look on cycling as a sport as everybody learns to ride bike when they are about 3 years old. plus the budding Bradley Wiggins hold me up when I am in a hurry.

Most kids learn to kick a ball as soon as they can walk, guess we can rule football out of what you consider to be a sport too then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is not the same as to me riding a bike is riding a bike just faster and for longer periods of time. Football requires skill.which is not natural. I hate cyclists they should be all put on a track not the highway.if they want to race. Send them round Goodwood or Brands hatch or similar as per Formula 1.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Murray was not deprived.

McIlroy's been lucky to play in an era where there isn't really a great deal else about.
I think that's very harsh, there are plenty of good golfers still, and McIlroy's still young and will achieve more.

Ainsley's a bloody good shout though.
Thanks.

Part of my point is that Murray isn't the most naturally talented. His success is down to hard work and determination. Notice I said 'to admire' not 'the best.'
True, but which you admire the most is too subjective, there will be plenty who have achieved a lot for the talent they had, but it's hard to know who they are. I don't know if Murray would like that accolade, he probably thinks he's quite talented. I agree that he's very good and he has played at a time when there have been a couple of exceptional players, but I doubt he'd have had much joy against Sampras either.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He is the best British sportsman still active at the moment, Wiggins a close second
Oh please. Wiggins is miles ahead of Murray. Ben Ainsley is still active isn't he? Turned around the US team in the America's Cup 2 years ago from 8-1 down (or so) to win 9-8. He's brilliant. And Rory McIlroy is better than Murray too.

I dont like tennis either butt would put Murray above Wiggins in any vote.
Yeah but you're an idiot.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here