Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings - Wolves (A)

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Apologies if fixtures but cannot see this anywhere.

Ratings from those at the game please.

Particularly interested in how Elvis played when he came on.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Bump.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I think the lack of ratings is due to it being hard to rate a poor performance without sounding too harsh on the players. Dunk and Bruno stood out for me as our best players today and Kayal was good today but not brilliant.

Stockdale - can't really rate as he had nothing to do except catch a few crosses, wasn't tested

Bruno - 7.5
Greer - 6.5
Dunk - 7.5
Bong - 6.5

Rosenior - 7
Stephens - 7
Kayal - 7.5
Murphy - 6.5
LuaLua - 5

Hemed - 5

Elvis - 6
Zamora - did nothing so can't rate

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A very frustrating performance for a number of reasons.

Stockdale - 6 - Handling and distribution good, but very little to do..
Bruno - 7 - Another steady performance with good defensive and offensive work.
Bong - 7 - See Bruno
Dunk - 7 - Did little wrong
Greer - 6 - Incredibly shaky in the first half, much better in the second.
Kayal - 7 - got through a lot of work
Stephens - 6.5 - good first half, tired in second
Rosenoir - 6 - okay
KLL - 5.5 - Stupid booking - nothing of note
Murphy - 6.5 - Very direct and played quite well, but, he needs to shoot when well placed, twice prior to the penalty he could have got a shot off.
Hemed - 6 - missed penalty, however clearance off the line was important

Elvis - 5.5 - think the pace surprised him, but to be caught offside 3 times, twice because he was ambling back is not good enough. He'll be better for a game and took a nasty kick to the face. Got one shot off, but it lacked power.
Zamora - 5.5 - Little time to make an impact, wondered if he should have come on for Hemed.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Stockdale - 6.5 - Had very little to do, confident on crosses but hard to give any higher as don't think he made a save.

Bruno - 8 - Once again, superb. Didn't get beaten once, and very good on the ball.

Dunk - 7.5 - Solid.

Greer - 7.5 - As above. Both made Afobe look very average, and ALF was completely outmuscled all day.

Bong - 6.5 - A lot quieter than usual, but still played ok.

Rosenior - 6 - Didn't offer a great deal going forward, but links well with Bruno defensively. Would've sacrificed him earlier after the red card for a forward, and moved Murphy back earlier.

Kayal - 6 - Didn't play badly, but not the usual high standard he's set himself.

Stephens 6.5 - Slightly better than Kayal, but no real creativity from either today.

Lua Lua - 6 - pretty quiet. But seems to be being double marked now.

Murphy - 6.5/7 - Brightest winger/forward, one of the few players out there willing to run at his man.

Hemed - 5 - Poor today, poor pen, and could've tested the keeper with his other chance.

SUBS:

- Elvis - 6 - looks very pacey, but looks far more of a winger than a striker. Will certainly need time to get use to the physicality of this league.

- Zamora - 6.5 - won a couple of free kicks in great areas simply with his experience, but not much time for much else.

Last time I ever go to Wolves away for a long, long time. Horrible place, and I'd say the worst all round away day i've ever done potentially. Police wouldn't let us into the ladbrokes/Mcdonalds or anywhere in the town centre, forced into one bar which was Oceana, charging £7 a pint, walked straight back out. Just an absolute sh*thole, with horrible fans, and a horrible attitude to away fans. Place is stuck in the 70's, as are it's people.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Any reason why they wouldn't let you in to the McDonalds in town? Saw a few Brighton shirts in there between 1.30 and 2pm myself

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Any reason why they wouldn't let you in to the McDonalds in town? Saw a few Brighton shirts in there between 1.30 and 2pm myself

Went into Faces, walked back out (was pitch black, £7 pints), tried to walk onto the high street to pop in Ladbrokes and police outright refused to let us past. Also stopped a number of other away fans. Were told that they had been ordered not to let anybody walk past and down the high street, although as you say it sounds like some managed to.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Murphy surely worth an 8. As were Greer & Dunk who bossed it. Bruno classy 7.5. Stephens & Kayal bossed it again so 8s. Others 6.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Always find it bizarre people rate goalkeepers low because they had nothing to do. Either start from ten and deduct points for mistakes or don't rate at all as the sensible RM Taylor has done.

Where does a 6.5 come from for a quiet day ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Always find it bizarre people rate goalkeepers low because they had nothing to do. Either start from ten and deduct points for mistakes or don't rate at all as the sensible RM Taylor has done.

Historically, the Sunday papers certainly in 70s and 80s started from average and worked marks up or down accordingly.

I use 6 as average and my expectation of how they should play.

Stockdale caught crosses, kicked the ball out well, all of which he is employed to do.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Historically, the Sunday papers certainly in 70s and 80s started from average and worked marks up or down accordingly.

I use 6 as average and my expectation of how they should play.

Stockdale caught crosses, kicked the ball out well, all of which he is employed to do.

Using 6 for average is correct.
The industry standard for rating has always been.....
4) Poor.
5) Below average
6) Average
7) Good
8) Very Good
9) Excellent
10) Out of this world
Too many posters on here mark too highly, whereby too many 7's, 7.5's and 8's are awarded. I was at Molyneux and a number of our players were below average/average. The majority of marks should have been 5's and 6's. If you give 7, it is a high mark. It indicates a good performance.
There weren't too many 7's yesterday.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think the lack of ratings is due to it being hard to rate a poor performance without sounding too harsh on the players. Dunk and Bruno stood out for me as our best players today and Kayal was good today but not brilliant.

Stockdale - can't really rate as he had nothing to do except catch a few crosses, wasn't tested

Bruno - 7.5
Greer - 6.5
Dunk - 7.5
Bong - 6.5

Rosenior - 7
Stephens - 7
Kayal - 7.5
Murphy - 6.5
LuaLua - 5

Hemed - 5

Elvis - 6
Zamora - did nothing so can't rate

Eight players rated above average.....generous in my book.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A very frustrating performance for a number of reasons.

Stockdale - 6 - Handling and distribution good, but very little to do..
Bruno - 7 - Another steady performance with good defensive and offensive work.
Bong - 7 - See Bruno
Dunk - 7 - Did little wrong
Greer - 6 - Incredibly shaky in the first half, much better in the second.
Kayal - 7 - got through a lot of work
Stephens - 6.5 - good first half, tired in second
Rosenoir - 6 - okay
KLL - 5.5 - Stupid booking - nothing of note
Murphy - 6.5 - Very direct and played quite well, but, he needs to shoot when well placed, twice prior to the penalty he could have got a shot off.
Hemed - 6 - missed penalty, however clearance off the line was important

Elvis - 5.5 - think the pace surprised him, but to be caught offside 3 times, twice because he was ambling back is not good enough. He'll be better for a game and took a nasty kick to the face. Got one shot off, but it lacked power.
Zamora - 5.5 - Little time to make an impact, wondered if he should have come on for Hemed.

Six players rated above average....generous.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Stockdale - 6.5 - Had very little to do, confident on crosses but hard to give any higher as don't think he made a save.

Bruno - 8 - Once again, superb. Didn't get beaten once, and very good on the ball.

Dunk - 7.5 - Solid.

Greer - 7.5 - As above. Both made Afobe look very average, and ALF was completely outmuscled all day.

Bong - 6.5 - A lot quieter than usual, but still played ok.

Rosenior - 6 - Didn't offer a great deal going forward, but links well with Bruno defensively. Would've sacrificed him earlier after the red card for a forward, and moved Murphy back earlier.

Kayal - 6 - Didn't play badly, but not the usual high standard he's set himself.

Stephens 6.5 - Slightly better than Kayal, but no real creativity from either today.

Lua Lua - 6 - pretty quiet. But seems to be being double marked now.

Murphy - 6.5/7 - Brightest winger/forward, one of the few players out there willing to run at his man.

Hemed - 5 - Poor today, poor pen, and could've tested the keeper with his other chance.

SUBS:

- Elvis - 6 - looks very pacey, but looks far more of a winger than a striker. Will certainly need time to get use to the physicality of this league.

- Zamora - 6.5 - won a couple of free kicks in great areas simply with his experience, but not much time for much else.

Last time I ever go to Wolves away for a long, long time. Horrible place, and I'd say the worst all round away day i've ever done potentially. Police wouldn't let us into the ladbrokes/Mcdonalds or anywhere in the town centre, forced into one bar which was Oceana, charging £7 a pint, walked straight back out. Just an absolute sh*thole, with horrible fans, and a horrible attitude to away fans. Place is stuck in the 70's, as are it's people.

Eight players rated above average....very generous.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Murphy surely worth an 8. As were Greer & Dunk who bossed it. Bruno classy 7.5. Stephens & Kayal bossed it again so 8s. Others 6.

So five players rated as very good. Thats nearly half the team. Don't think the overall team performance reflected that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

No...you start ( as ' One Teddy Maybank ' rightly says ) from a base point of average..i.e.. 6. It is from there that you mark up or down.
You have to rate a goalkeeper. It is not just about making saves. Its about dealing with crosses/balls in. Its about distribution. Its about managing his area. Its about exuding confidence and looking in control.
I would say that 6.5 was about right....between average and good.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

But if everyone did that today, Stockdale would be rated higher than players who actually contributed to the game. How is that fair?

I prefer instead of automatically giving the keeper 10, give him a team average then adapt. i.e. if the average mark you give the outfield players is around 7, start at 7 for him and mark up or down based on how well he did what little he had to do.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here