Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
ds-180915-l229-2696781_478x359.jpg

David Stockdale
Image by: Tom Irving

PUBLISHED
06:00 19th September 2015
by James Hilsum
I have to give a big shout out to our medical staff, as they set out the programme for me quite early on, at the back end of last season. "
David Stockdale
Brighton & Hove Albion goalkeeper David Stockdale hailed a new fitness regime as the key factor in his impressive form this season.
The Albion shot-stopper revealed that his preparations for the current campaign began during the tail end of 2014/15 and believes all the hard work is paying off.
He said, “I have to give a big shout out to our medical staff, as they set out the programme for me quite early on, at the back end of last season.
“They set out the programme about six to 10 weeks in advance of the pre-season, so for them to take that time and think about my future just shows you the kind of staff we have here.
“They go unnoticed a lot, but there’s a lot of thanks from me and now I‘ve just got to keep that going.
“Hopefully it's helping to get the best out of me now, but there are goalkeepers going on to the age of 42! That means I could have 13 years left.
“I hope that’s the case, but I’ve still got to do the right things over a long period of time.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

uwe-l229-2640239.jpg
Stockdale also praised the quality in the side’s defence this season and explained that Chris Hughton sees the importance of building a successful team from the back.
“Our defence has been brilliant. We’ve done a lot more work on defensive shape and how we want to work as a back five. The gaffer sees it as a stepping stone; if we can keep out as many crosses and shots as possible then we won’t concede many and we can then let our boys up front do the work.
“There’s not much difference in the side in terms of quality, but we do have strength in depth now, which keeps players on their toes.
“You know there is competition for places and that you’ve got people breathing down your neck. We also have a manager who will take you out of the team if you’re not doing your job.”

Stockdale then looked ahead to today’s trip to Molineux, to face a Wolves side that have made an indifferent start to the season; something which Stockdale is quick to dismiss.
“Every team has their peaks and troughs in every league. We are just hoping we can keep our peak and play as consistently as we can.
“We need to improve on Tuesday’s performance and if we can play to the standard we have been, then we’ll give ourselves a great chance of getting a result.
“We play for the win and see how it develops from there. We want to try and extend our lead at the top and put more points on the board.”
[h=3]ALBION V CARDIFF CITY
[/h]SATURDAY 3RD OCTOBER, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V *BRISTOL CITY
[/h]TUESDAY 20TH OCTOBER, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V PRESTON NORTH END
[/h]SATURDAY 24TH OCTOBER, KICK-OFF 3PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here