Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugby World Cup Bets

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Looking at placing a few bets on the Rugby World Cup, does anyone have any tips or good value bets. Hard to see past New Zealand winning but at 13/10 to win the tournament doesn't represent value for money. Australia at 8/1 could be a good each way bet.

Also top tryscorer looks a bit one sided with 6 New Zealand players in the bookies top 8. Will Julian Savea play all the group games for New Zealand?

England are 4/1, can they do it?

Not looking to bet big but if anyone has any tips please share.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
England v Fiji over 6 tries at 4/5 looks a decent punt.
Look at the scores every time England have played at home to Fiji: http://www.rugbydata.com/england/fiji/gamesplayed/
England might well put 7 tries on the board of their own, and Fiji always score tries and like to run with the ball.

Also back Japan+43.5 v South Africa at evens.
Don't write off the Japanese - they will lose, but it will be by a score far closer than 44 points - Japan are investing heavily in rugby in preparation for hosting the World Cup in 2019, and are a decent side in their own right - broadly similar in standard to Scotland, Samoa, Tonga and Italy (who they are above in the world rankings).

Also, keep an eye out for some World Cup price boosts - most of the big firms are at it. Personally, I took BetFred's 6/1 (7.0) price boost yesterday on England winning the tournament and then locked in a profit by laying that on Betfair at 5.8. :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One other I like the look of.

England Fiji - England to win both halves.
NZ - Arg - NZ to win both halves.

Skinny odds on both (1.14), but worthwhile if you turn that into a double (accumulator)

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
France to reach the semi-finals at 6/4 is a decent bet - they've got at least that far in the last 4 world cups and seem to find a way of peaking every 4 years.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
France to reach the semi-finals at 6/4 is a decent bet - they've got at least that far in the last 4 world cups and seem to find a way of peaking every 4 years.

they'll do a Cradiff. They haven't been "nearly there" enough to win it yet ;D

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think NZ at 13/10 are outstanding value, they've pretty much got a bye to the Semi Finals and they'll most likely be significantly shorter at that point. I can only see England of the Northern Hemisphere nations doing doing anything and under Lancaster we've not had any consistency, we;ve lost at least one game in every 6 nations and generally struggled against the Southern Hemisphere at Twickers.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Obviously New Zealand will be strong, but I have a feeling about Australia this year. They have a tough group with us and Wales, but if they stay injury free they could through to the knock out stage having had a proper work out in be in top form. New Zeland have an easy group and could go through undercooked.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Can't stand Rugby but as I'll have to put up with people cocking on about it for the next month I had to have a financial interest.

South Africa 1pt win @ 7/1
Australia 1pt win @ 9/1

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Also back Japan+43.5 v South Africa at evens.
Don't write off the Japanese - they will lose, but it will be by a score far closer than 44 points - Japan are investing heavily in rugby in preparation for hosting the World Cup in 2019, and are a decent side in their own right - broadly similar in standard to Scotland, Samoa, Tonga and Italy (who they are above in the world rankings).

A forecast for Group B of South Africa first, Japan second at 33/1, worth a couple of quid?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can't stand Rugby but as I'll have to put up with people cocking on about it for the next month I had to have a financial interest.

South Africa 1pt win @ 7/1
Australia 1pt win @ 9/1

Top tip - if you're going to lump on South Africa, do it with BetBright. BetBright are offering money back on all outrights if New Zealand don't make the final.

But South Africa are likely to play NZ in the semi-final. So at that point, either South Africa lose their semi meaning that you get your money back, or they get to the final themselves and you can lay off your bet to lock in a profit. They are nailed on to top their group, so the only risk seems to be that South Africa don't lose in that quarter final (where they will play the 2nd place team from Eng/Aus/Wales).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A forecast for Group B of South Africa first, Japan second at 33/1, worth a couple of quid?
I think beating Scotland *and* Samoa is beyond them, hence the price. It could happen though. I genuinely believe Japan are being massively underrated.

Certainly that punt is far better value than an equivalent punt in football - Preston to win the Championship is 33/1 and far less likely IMO.

Edit: I am now officially sniffing around this myself, having looked into this a bit more:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/sep/10/rugby-world-cup-preview-japan

"They comfortably beat Samoa 33-14 last year and have defeated the USA in five of the last six encounters."

33/1 seems to represent value.

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Top tip - if you're going to lump on South Africa, do it with BetBright. BetBright are offering money back on all outrights if New Zealand don't make the final.

But South Africa are likely to play NZ in the semi-final. So at that point, either South Africa lose their semi meaning that you get your money back, or they get to the final themselves and you can lay off your bet to lock in a profit. They are nailed on to top their group, so the only risk seems to be that South Africa don't lose in that quarter final (where they will play the 2nd place team from Eng/Aus/Wales).

I did see that but I prefered to take the better price.
I've also backed Nehe Milner-Skudder TTS - if you put a PONY on with Paddy Power you get a CHING free bet for every try scored. The only problem is the max I was allowed on was £7.83 or something.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I did see that but I prefered to take the better price.
I've also backed Nehe Milner-Skudder TTS - if you put a PONY on with Paddy Power you get a CHING free bet for every try scored. The only problem is the max I was allowed on was £7.83 or something.
£7.83? Any chance you've been gubbed?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Jonathan Joseph 33/1 top try scorer. Get on e/w

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] seems to be offering some good researched tips here. I'd go with ones he's suggesting... (always remember a tip is just that of course!) :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Australia E/W represents good value if you ask me. They are only that long because they've got a difficult group but they'll get out of it and from there could easily win the tournament.

Unfortunately.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
£7.83? Any chance you've been gubbed?

It's even worse for racing:

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 20.03.13.png

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I always have a little moment to myself [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] when that restriction kicks in for the first time. My personal favourite was racebets - I lasted 2 bets. What is the point?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here