Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains were an utter Joke!.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I've just posted this in the club line, but it seems a forgotten dungeon with a few posts a year. So I've also posted it here to get other people's opinions!.

I have to say this, But, What the hell is going on with the trains!.

I couldn't believe it on the eastbound platform on Tuesday after the Rotherham game,
People on here moan about people leaving the game early, But do they really want to know or even care why!.

On tues, realising that trains were very poor anyway on a midweek game, I decided it best to leave the game 5 mins before the end!. (Which i really don't like doing! BTW).
Trying to run for the train for seaford, like many others, When I looked down towrds the platform, it was an 8 carriage train.! Ideal for supporters to get the first big wave away!,

But it pulled away with less then 40 people on board before the official 90mins were played!. What the hell I thought!. The next train isn't until 20 mins after the final whistle!.
This, I was told by the platform guard, Would be a football special!.

I was relieved that maybe the club or the rail authorities had agreed to get there heads together and done something at last!.

With 5 mins to go before the train arrived, The platform was now shoulder to shoulder, and the que was now tailbacked up the ramps!
Announcer!. "The next train, is a football special, It willl be calling at lewes and Newhaven Stn!."
HUH! What about seaford!.
Announcer!. "The next train is 3 carriages, and supporters who want Eastbourne should change at Lewes on this train. ."

WHAT, Are you friggin kidding me!. I would be safer walking the channel tunnel at night!.
Is the train company really this ignorant!. or is there a problem between the club and the rail!.

I was expecting screaming during the push and rush!. How can the club let it's supporters be treated like this!.

Another point to make here!.
Why oh why!. do you have a frigging ramp lane for wheelchairs so wide, that you could drive a smart car down!

This is my suggestion.

Seperate the eastbound supporters that require two different trains.
One que up the ramp for seaford
And another for Eastbourne!.

Why is this necessary you ask!. Well, I'll tell you!.
it must be pretty obvoius by now that whichever train pulls in first, be it eastbourne or seaford. You are leaving behind 100's of people that cannot get
on the train, because those already on the platform don't want the bloody train!. if you have a single line of people it takes twice as long to clear the station!.

For the love of god. PLEASE do something about this!..

Or at least for the time being!., Ask the rail company to provide a train that leaves just a few mins after the final whistle, NOT BEFORE!.

regards!
Gully

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dont the majority on that platform get off t Lewes so perhaps you need 3 queues.:lolol:

What would ease the congestion would b if the bus company ran buses 1st stop prison then the Bus Station in Lewes and then on the return Ist Sotp St Peters church theen back again. This would allow drivers who park in Lewes and get the train there the opportunity to get to their cars and leave the trains to those going home by train.

Last edited:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
seaford-sussex.-vintage-southern-railway-travel-poster-by-leslie-carr-505-p.jpg

Separating Eastbourne passengers from Newhaven/Seaford passengers at Falmer is a STUPID idea. The quickest way to get to Eastbourne from Falmer is often to get on a Seaford train and change at Lewes on to a Victoria - Eastbourne train. Hanging back at Falmer for a direct train to Eastbourne just clutters up Falmer and delays EVERYONE.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've just posted this in the club line, but it seems a forgotten dungeon with a few posts a year. So I've also posted it here to get other people's opinions!.

I have to say this, But, What the hell is going on with the trains!.

I couldn't believe it on the eastbound platform on Tuesday after the Rotherham game,
People on here moan about people leaving the game early, But do they really want to know or even care why!.

On tues, realising that trains were very poor anyway on a midweek game, I decided it best to leave the game 5 mins before the end!. (Which i really don't like doing! BTW).
Trying to run for the train for seaford, like many others, When I looked down towrds the platform, it was an 8 carriage train.! Ideal for supporters to get the first big wave away!,

But it pulled away with less then 40 people on board before the official 90mins were played!. What the hell I thought!. The next train isn't until 20 mins after the final whistle!.
This, I was told by the platform guard, Would be a football special!.

I was relieved that maybe the club or the rail authorities had agreed to get there heads together and done something at last!.

With 5 mins to go before the train arrived, The platform was now shoulder to shoulder, and the que was now tailbacked up the ramps!
Announcer!. "The next train, is a football special, It willl be calling at lewes and Newhaven Stn!."
HUH! What about seaford!.
Announcer!. "The next train is 3 carriages, and supporters who want Eastbourne should change at Lewes on this train. ."

WHAT, Are you friggin kidding me!. I would be safer walking the channel tunnel at night!.
Is the train company really this ignorant!. or is there a problem between the club and the rail!.

I was expecting screaming during the push and rush!. How can the club let it's supporters be treated like this!.

Another point to make here!.
Why oh why!. do you have a frigging ramp lane for wheelchairs so wide, that you could drive a smart car down!

This is my suggestion.

Seperate the eastbound supporters that require two different trains.
One que up the ramp for seaford
And another for Eastbourne!.

Why is this necessary you ask!. Well, I'll tell you!.
it must be pretty obvoius by now that whichever train pulls in first, be it eastbourne or seaford. You are leaving behind 100's of people that cannot get
on the train, because those already on the platform don't want the bloody train!. if you have a single line of people it takes twice as long to clear the station!.

For the love of god. PLEASE do something about this!..

Or at least for the time being!., Ask the rail company to provide a train that leaves just a few mins after the final whistle, NOT BEFORE!.

regards!
Gully

Said it before, say it again; anybody with any sense who wants to go East after a midweek-match should do themselves a favour and get on one of the numerous 8 carriage trains going West into Brighton, then double back on themselves or catch an Eastbound bus from outside Brighton station. Treat the omni-shambles of the three-carriage Eastbound service from Falmer with the disrespect it deserves.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You must realise by now that trains are run for the benefit of the shareholders not passengers. There is a timetable to keep to, and trains can not be held just to let passengers on in case they are delayed.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I could be wrong but I reckon Gully Forever is a second account of a well-known NSCer just moved to Seaford. It's the full-stops after the exclamation marks that's the dead giveaway.

Is that you, Uncle Spielberg?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Said it before, say it again; anybody with any sense who wants to go East after a midweek-match should do themselves a favour and get on one of the numerous 8 carriage trains going West into Brighton, then double back on themselves or catch an Eastbound bus from outside Brighton station. Treat the omni-shambles of the three-carriage Eastbound service from Falmer with the disrespect it deserves.

Or stay for a beer. I just strolled on to a half empty platform and got a direct train within 10 minutes of arriving.

easy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so what you're saying is you didnt leave early enough to get the 21:49, so had to wait for the next one. then believed they put on a football special to Newhaven :lolol:

i do have symapthy. what they should do, seeing as its apparently impossible to put more than 2 trains an hour down the line, is run only Brighton-Eastbourne, with a train waiting at Lewes for Newhaven. then they can run 8 cars through to clear Falmer quicker.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Or stay for a beer. I just strolled on to a half empty platform and got a direct train within 10 minutes of arriving.

Seen one or two people say that in the past. Trouble is, you take one look at the dumb running stampede in the dark after midweek matches and its very very hard to reconcile that with any kind of concept of strolling, unless you happen to maybe stroll down there a few minutes before midnight or something when everybody else is long gone. Stay for a single beer and I'd respectfully suggest you'd be strolling to the end of a hundred yard long queue. For the trains, that is. the queue for the single beer would only be ten yards long.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Despite the tone and style of his post which seems to have offended so many, the OP makes some valid points.

1. Sending an empty 8 car train through just before the rush and a 3 car train just after is pretty f******* stupid
2. Turning a Seaford train around 3 stops before the end of the line is pretty f******* stupid
3. Only allowing as many people on the platform as can fit on a train is very sensible. Allowing 200 of them to stay on the platform so the train leaves half empty is pretty f******* stupid.

1&2 seem to have evolved as elements of a strategy to prioritise Westbound traffic after the game. 3 has been getting more of an issue with every passing season.

Solutions might not be straightforward, especially as there are inter-dependencies between Eastbound/Westbound decisions but none of what has been suggested actually solves the problem:
- going West first and then doubling back clearly takes someone else's Brighton seat
- going into Brighton to get the bus also robs a seat off someone else
- catching the bus outside the ground .... that can already be a long wait and would only get worse if more people abandoned the train
- stopping for a beer has merit but it isn't an option for everyone

OP obviously loves his football and just finds it frustrating that getting home from an evening game can be so difficult. I don't know what the answer is either but by now everyone has worked through the options and decided what works best for them. The issue that won't go away is that, despite everyone's best efforts, there just isn't enough capacity to get people home in a reasonable time after evening games. The cause is a lack of capacity, the result is lower attendances. I don't see anything fundamentally changing until more capacity is delivered when it is needed.

So here's an idea ... £1 a pint after the game. If it happens, keep an eye out for the thread that starts: "it takes too long to get a beer after the game these days. I've started heading down the station 10 minutes after the final whistle to get on one of them early empty trains. They're impossibly full after 10:30 anyway."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I could be wrong but I reckon Gully Forever is a second account of a well-known NSCer just moved to Seaford. It's the full-stops after the exclamation marks that's the dead giveaway.

Is that you, Uncle Spielberg?

He lives in Newhaven.

We have found going back to Newhaven, from a midweek game, it's much easier to get on a Brighton train, and then catch the 12 outside Brighton station. Every train running west is going to Brighton, so there are a lot more of them (stands to reason)
On Tuesday night, we waited for the final whistle, clapped the players, went to the loos, walked down to the station, walked straight onto the 22.03 to Brighton, walked to the bus stop and was indoors at 10.50 (with a very slow bus driver).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He lives in Newhaven.

We have found going back to Newhaven, from a midweek game, it's much easier to get on a Brighton train, and then catch the 12 outside Brighton station. Every train running west is going to Brighton, so there are a lot more of them (stands to reason)
On Tuesday night, we waited for the final whistle, clapped the players, went to the loos, walked down to the station, walked straight onto the 22.03 to Brighton, walked to the bus stop and was indoors at 10.50 (with a very slow bus driver).

Was there any strolling involved? :moo:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wouldn't just going to Lewes and changing there work as suggested ? Several London trains coming through. Personally always drive to Lewes and park there, and never usually have much of a problem getting back. I'm usually queuing on the ramp as the 3-coach train leaves. This week the 22.04 special was delayed by about 10 mins. It's not life-ruining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here