Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official NSC swimming thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC seems to be missing a specific thread for one third of a triathlon.

I get the feeling this may well sink quickly (see what I did there) but I'm hoping there's some serious NSC swimmers, of whom I can ask some advise.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I swim three times a week, wouldn't classify myself as that serious though, freestyle 1,000 m in about 19 minutes. I want to start doing more open water swimming outside of the summer months so need to invest in a wet suit!

Self taught myself about 4 years ago.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wouldn't say I was serious but I enjoy swimming outdoors. First time in about ten years I've not been in the English channel though :( (bloody weather). Fortunately did a little in the Atlantic (in Spain) and less fortunately the Med (in Spain) where I was stung by a jellyfish.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I swim three times a week, wouldn't classify myself as that serious though, freestyle 1,000 m in about 19 minutes. I want to start doing more open water swimming outside of the summer months so need to invest in a wet suit!

That's pretty good.

I swim at least twice a week - do either 40 lengths (1k) or 64 (a mile) depending on how long I've got.

I can't quite get under 20 minutes for 1k - but use the fact I'm almost 54, and apart from holidays didn't swim for years as an excuse

Great form of exercise, so much better for your body than running.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ah you might just be the man. We swim for the same amount of time and I'm 'only' 500 metres slower :lol: :facepalm:

While taking Lil Miss Stat to her swimming lessons, I swim in the 'grown ups' lane.

My thing is I know I'm a very basic swimmer, but occasionally I'll swim a 25m length really easily, quickly, and without tiring.
I genuinely feel like 'I'm here already' after the length.
But then that technique is gone again and I'm back to swimming through treacle.

I know I'll get better with time, but I also know if I start getting frustrated I'm find excuses not to swim.
Today I even inquired about "swimming lessons for people who can swim".

Am I just trying to run before I can walk? (so to speak)
Would learning to swim properly make a big difference?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I swam Lake Coniston in the 1st weekend of September training the best part of a year to do so. Heres my top tip

1. Swim 4 lengths front crawl. Time yourself.
2. Swim 4 lengths again at the same pace with a pull buoy in between your legs. Time yourself.

Chances are your times will be similar if not quicker with the pull buoy. Loads of swimmers have draggy legs whereby they expend a lot of energy dragging thier slumped unaerodynamic legs along behind them. Sorting that out will improve your speed and technique.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
About 15 years ago I had a bad back problem and my chiropractor suggested that, along with his manipulation, I should swim 3 times a week. Those were dark days, swimming is a miserable and boring existence. I will never have a bad back again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
About 15 years ago I had a bad back problem and my chiropractor suggested that, along with his manipulation, I should swim 3 times a week. Those were dark days, swimming is a miserable and boring existence. I will never have a bad back again.

That is my other issue.
I swim 2 x breaststroke followed by 2 x front crawl.

So for 500 metres all I have to do is count to 5, then I know I'm done.
It's scary the amount of times I have to double check in my head, 'is this 3 or 4', I assume that'll be the boredom.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ah you might just be the man. We swim for the same amount of time and I'm 'only' 500 metres slower :lol: :facepalm:

While taking Lil Miss Stat to her swimming lessons, I swim in the 'grown ups' lane.

My thing is I know I'm a very basic swimmer, but occasionally I'll swim a 25m length really easily, quickly, and without tiring.
I genuinely feel like 'I'm here already' after the length.
But then that technique is gone again and I'm back to swimming through treacle.

I know I'll get better with time, but I also know if I start getting frustrated I'm find excuses not to swim.
Today I even inquired about "swimming lessons for people who can swim".

Am I just trying to run before I can walk? (so to speak)
Would learning to swim properly make a big difference?

I think you need to mix it up a bit and don't just swim freestyle ad nauseum.

Watch YouTube instruction videos, use a pull bhouy so you can focus on your arms and vice versa with a float.

Try and look at a few different routines on the Web swimming different sets at different paces.

I don't think swim classes will help much but having someone come watch you swim and point out where your form is going wrong will help. Or join a swim club and someone there will help.

It seems like you are an above average swimmer anyway so it depends on what your aims are.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That is my other issue.

It's scary the amount of times I have to double check in my head, 'is this 3 or 4', I assume that'll be the boredom.

You can buy a poolmate watch for £50 that will count lengths for you.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I swam Lake Coniston in the 1st weekend of September training the best part of a year to do so. Heres my top tip

1. Swim 4 lengths front crawl. Time yourself.
2. Swim 4 lengths again at the same pace with a pull buoy in between your legs. Time yourself.

Chances are your times will be similar if not quicker with the pull buoy. Loads of swimmers have draggy legs whereby they expend a lot of energy dragging thier slumped unaerodynamic legs along behind them. Sorting that out will improve your speed and technique.

Agree with this if you are tiring quickly it is likely to be something you are doing wrong with your legs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is my other issue.

Welcome to the world of swimming. I used to run a bit to get fit and at least you can change your route to prevent boredom. Swimming destroyed me utterly.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If you find swimming boring chances are you are doing the same thing week in week out, aren't swimming against the clock and are just plodding aimlessly up and down (accepting that anyone can find any exercise boring).

Running and Cycling threads are littered with stats yet people don't use the same disciplines in the pool. Change what you do, race the clock, do sets, Google training sets. If you plod up and down chances are you will lose interest quickly. Same as if you cycled the same road or ran the same route without timing yourself.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks chaps, some great stuff already.

This is the first period of time I've ever swum regularly and certain the first time I've been swimming to the point of out of breath tiredness.
Once I've got a little more confidence in my abilities I'll certainly be following plenty of this advise.

Thanks again, it'll be nice if NSC has another good ongoing exercise thread.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I started swimming regularly about 18 months ago after a short (28 years lay off). I was encouraged to do a mini triathlon last year and enjoyed the swimming so kept it up. 100 lengths in about 55 mins but mixed up 70% freestyle and 30% breaststroke. I cannot use my legs though at freestyle which I know is holding me back!

I do have a waterproof ipod promised to for a birthday in November if anyone has used one?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody know the ultimate quiet period, if indeed there is such a thing, for the Prince Regent? I've tried 7.30am but that's full of gung-ho poor-technique lane-thrashers who direct a veritable tsunami towards the lanes either side of them. Where's the sweet spot in the day when the pool is near-enough empty?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks chaps, some great stuff already.

This is the first period of time I've ever swum regularly and certain the first time I've been swimming to the point of out of breath tiredness.
Once I've got a little more confidence in my abilities I'll certainly be following plenty of this advise.

Thanks again, it'll be nice if NSC has another good ongoing exercise thread.
Careful Stat, you're creeping into the multisport that dare not speak it's name!

I've been swimming a couple of times a week now for about 6 months as triathlon training and I'm around the 2 Mins per 100m pace. I did my first sprint tri after going swimming 6 times and managed 7.57 for 400m in a pool so I'm not getting any quicker!

Have booked a coaching session in a few weeks to see where I'm going wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here