Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ear wax. Will your local surgery syringe your lug-holes?

Every few years I get a build-up but the last time, the local practice wouldn't syringe. Is this because of the risk of perforating a drum? I had to use olive oil and it took days to clear, a bit at a time (sorry if you're eating your dinner :sick:).
This time, I don't want to spend days and anyway, I've only got rapeseed oil. :)

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Every few years a get a build-up but the last time, the local practice wouldn't syringe. Is this because of the risk of perforating a drum? I had to use olive oil and it took days to clear, a bit at a time (sorry if you're eating your dinner :sick:).
This time, I don't want to spend days and anyway, I've only got rapeseed oil. :)

These days they get you do do it yourself. Check this out - it worked for me.
http://www.otexear.com/the-otex-range/otex-express-combi-pack.aspx

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, though they don't use a syringe, they use a pump these days which is carefully pressurised to not be too powerful.

By the way, Earol works better than regular olive oil, purely because it directs it into your ear. (Though it's annoyingly expensive for a tiny bottle of olive oil).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You can do it yourself, just be a bit careful.

I use Otex for a couple of days, and then one of these

ear_syringe.jpg

Just use it with warm water and *gently* squeeze it into your ear. Out it comes, and all of a sudden, you'll have spidey-sense hearing.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have quite dry skin and get a build up every 18 months or so. I hate using oil/earex due to the deafness and now go to a private clinic in London that uses microsuction. No oiling, 10 minute appointment and it's all clear. It costs about £45 quid an ear but oh my god it's so much better than walking around for three days or so sounding like you have your head in a bucket. You might have a place near that does it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have quite dry skin and get a build up every 18 months or so. I hate using oil/earex due to the deafness and now go to a private clinic in London that uses microsuction. No oiling, 10 minute appointment and it's all clear. It costs about £45 quid an ear but oh my god it's so much better than walking around for three days or so sounding like you have your head in a bucket. You might have a place near that does it.

Bloody hell, I'm in the wrong profession. Must get the domain earwax2go.com and offer a home visit service.

Fits in with my enima business nicely.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Had mine done yesterday at the Crawley NHS walk in clinic. Make sure you use olive oil/ear drops for a week or so before you go. They use the electronic pumped equivalent of the olden days massive metal syringe.

I have also had the vacuum method, but that has to be done by a GP, and again you need to use drops for a few days prior.

I need this doing 2 or 3 times a year due to having narrow ear canals.

Pardon?

Jan 30, 2008
i have quite dry skin and get a build up every 18 months or so. I hate using oil/earex due to the deafness and now go to a private clinic in london that uses microsuction. No oiling, 10 minute appointment and it's all clear. It costs about £45 quid an ear but oh my god it's so much better than walking around for three days or so sounding like you have your head in a bucket. You might have a place near that does it.
yeah right:facepalm:
regards
DR

SAC

May 21, 2014
There is no reason why your local GP shouldn't syringe your ear/s but they may ask you to sign a waiver in case they accidentally perforate your eardrum. As @Superhill states, you will need to use olive oil drops for a few days before you go.

If you do want a perforated eardrum then buy a DIY kit online and get someone who doesn't know what they are doing to do it.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

I'm in the wrong job:ohmy:
I can come round yours and give you a flush out for £45 the pair:rolleyes:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I open up a paper clip into an arch shape and hook it out once every week or two. Not to be recommended but if you are careful, it works. My GP was horrified and thought I was nuts when I told her what I did. However she did concede that my ears were very clear

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Every few years I get a build-up but the last time, the local practice wouldn't syringe. Is this because of the risk of perforating a drum? I had to use olive oil and it took days to clear, a bit at a time (sorry if you're eating your dinner :sick:).

I am currently suffering ear wax which means I am currently half deaf. Rang the surgery and told it would take 3 weeks to get an appointment. I said not good enough and asked to speak to my GP. Was called in to see GP for a peak in my ears and she booked me in for this Monday to see practice nurse for syringing.

Have been using Otek, Earol etc and not done any good but have kept using same to ensure I have had enough oil in my ears before syringing.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
yes, had to have them done recently. Never used to have problems with wax buildup but after spending seven years on an IT helpdesk with a headset clamped to one ear have had problems ever since, on and off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here