Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugby World Cup rip off - food & drink prices to increase

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
As reported in The Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...it-by-hidden-price-increases-at-stadiums.html

Some of the quotes:

"Eleven of the 13 RWC venues or their catering suppliers provided some degree of information about their food and drink prices, with only Leeds United and MK Dons failing to co-operate at all. Twickenham was the sole stadium that reported no increases, although it already has some of the most expensive prices of any UK sports ground, with a pint of beer costing £5 and a pie £6."

"Among those charging more for these products – calling into question the staging of rugby’s crown jewel at football grounds – were Wembley, Aston Villa, Newcastle United, Leicester City, and Brighton & Hove Albion, or their respective catering partners. Manchester City and their suppliers did not respond to requests for the same information."

"A spokeswoman for the tournament organiser England Rugby 2015, said: “The prices for food and drink at all our 13 venues are set by the catering concessions at the venues. We have urged them not to raise prices for the Rugby World Cup.”

"The other 10 venues or catering providers to respond confirmed beer price increases of up to £1, with almost all attributing it to being forced to stock Heineken, which is more expensive than many lagers. Hikes in the cost of hot food of up to £1.50, meanwhile, were put down either to increases in the size or quality of items."

So £10 for a pie & pint anyone!

Jul 7, 2003
Good - those snobby egg chasing fans who look down on football fans can increase our income.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As reported in The Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...it-by-hidden-price-increases-at-stadiums.html

Some of the quotes:

"Eleven of the 13 RWC venues or their catering suppliers provided some degree of information about their food and drink prices, with only Leeds United and MK Dons failing to co-operate at all. Twickenham was the sole stadium that reported no increases, although it already has some of the most expensive prices of any UK sports ground, with a pint of beer costing £5 and a pie £6."

"Among those charging more for these products – calling into question the staging of rugby’s crown jewel at football grounds – were Wembley, Aston Villa, Newcastle United, Leicester City, and Brighton & Hove Albion, or their respective catering partners. Manchester City and their suppliers did not respond to requests for the same information."

"A spokeswoman for the tournament organiser England Rugby 2015, said: “The prices for food and drink at all our 13 venues are set by the catering concessions at the venues. We have urged them not to raise prices for the Rugby World Cup.”

"The other 10 venues or catering providers to respond confirmed beer price increases of up to £1, with almost all attributing it to being forced to stock Heineken, which is more expensive than many lagers. Hikes in the cost of hot food of up to £1.50, meanwhile, were put down either to increases in the size or quality of items."

So £10 for a pie & pint anyone!

It hardly matters.

Sodexo will only stock 1 pie anyway for the 1st lucky customer, and the beer will soon be 'off' before anyone can moan about the price :lolol:

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
God really? Those prices are well reasonable, given the fact that Rugby is a fairly expensive game to watch.

The entitlement level in the public these days drives me insane!! If people can't afford it, watch in the pub, on the telly or in the cinema.

People need to get a fair business head on and do their research before plunging in and saying stuff's a rip off.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Why the fuss, I used to pay £6 in the Pink coconut 25 years ago.
Be good to get a count of staff numbers in each counter compared to last. What's the betting they have a dozen more in each?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
It hardly matters.

Sodexo will only stock 1 pie anyway for the 1st lucky customer, and the beer will soon be 'off' before anyone can moan about the price :lolol:

I believe Heineken is by the bottle in a 'special' rugby world cup bottle. Even Sodexo should manage to deal with bottled beer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Being as you can drink in your seat whilst watching the game, Sodexo (if they are covering these games) are going to have to get their fingers out their arses and stock up properly this weekend. If they give their usual levels of "service" and run out of beer by half time, then we could end up with the stadium getting trashed.

el punal

Good - those snobby egg chasing fans who look down on football fans can increase our income.

Some of those snobby egg chasing fans are Albion fans as well. I somehow don't think they look down on football fans and are certainly not snobby.

By the way, have you ever been to a rugby match and spoken to any fans? Your image of snobby, yah-hoo rugger buggers went out with the ark. :annoyed:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Being as you can drink in your seat whilst watching the game, Sodexo (if they are covering these games) are going to have to get their fingers out their arses and stock up properly this weekend. If they give their usual levels of "service" and run out of beer by half time, then we could end up with the stadium getting trashed.

They've already hosted a rugby match (the england u20s) on a Friday night back in the spring which allowed beer in your seat and presumably the normal levels of "service". Stadium remained untrashed.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/20/england-win-under-20-six-nations-title

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It needs to be bought for price to matter...I rarely buy Pint at Amex these days,if the price was reasonable say £3.50 it would cost me more..If they put price up to £10 pint, beer at Amex would cost me nothing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

SAC

May 21, 2014
God really? Those prices are well reasonable, given the fact that Rugby is a fairly expensive game to watch.

The entitlement level in the public these days drives me insane!! If people can't afford it, watch in the pub, on the telly or in the cinema.

People need to get a fair business head on and do their research before plunging in and saying stuff's a rip off.

Love the feck em attitude. £5 a pint is well reasonable?

I can't stand egg chasing but can't see why people who do should be fleeced to the hilt due to market forces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here