Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sensible use of public money?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34278538

Madeleine McCann case has cost the UK taxpayer £10 million so far, another £2 million already budgeted for next year, WTF? Are the investigating officers enjoying a bit too much golf on the Algarve? How long should this investigation continue to be funded for?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No, unless the investigators can demonstrate to us they have credible leads and reason to further the investigation it should have been halted years ago.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Would be interested to see comparable figures from other missing children cases- I would be willing to bet the cost of those is nowhere near as much as £10m

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If it was your daughter, how long would you like it to be funded for ?

As long as it seemed there was a reasonable likelihood of a conclusion being reached, which is a decidedly difficult and emotion filled decision to take hence my question. What is your considered opinion?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As long as it seemed there was a reasonable likelihood of a conclusion being reached, which is a decidedly difficult and emotion filled decision to take hence my question. What is your considered opinion?

Even if they can't find the poor mite alive, it is in the interest of everyone that the evil scum who abducted her are brought to justice and locked away for the rest of their lives.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

Madeleine McCann case has cost the UK taxpayer £10 million so far, another £2 million already budgeted for next year, WTF? Are the investigating officers enjoying a bit too much golf on the Algarve? How long should this investigation continue to be funded for?
I was under the impression the average spend on the investigation of a murder in London was around £500,000 so it does seem particuarly high, this is a much wider search and all abroad paying for accomodation and living expenses I suppose. I do wonder what they hope to find that they haven't found so far, unless its for further indepth sweeps of waste ground etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very difficult to tell without knowing the kind of work they are doing and the likelihood of any substantial leads/progress.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
If it was my child I wouldn't have left them alone without an adult and gone out for a drink and a meal while abandoning my parental responsibilities.

Agreed, I maybe wrong but didn't the complex also offer a babysitting service that they failed to avail themselves of. Personally I can't imagine why anyone on holiday would think it was important to have an evening meal without your kids

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If it was my child I wouldn't have left them alone without an adult and gone out for a drink and a meal while abandoning my parental responsibilities.

This - the case is being driven by the guilt felt by two articulate and media savy doctors.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This - the case is being driven by the guilt felt by two articulate and media savy doctors.

You can get your bottom dollar this would have been put on the shelf years ago had it been a working class family.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What's the 2 million for next year?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

Is the correct answer.

I remember a TV interview with them a short while after the incident. Kate was saying about all the messages of support they had received from other parents who said they had done the same thing with their kids, and that this was something of a comfort to them and eased their guilt. I thought at the time that a more appropriate response would be to implore those parents to think long and hard about what they had done and to take it as a warning to be more careful in future.
:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeh, police should have just given them a crime number..............

.....by phone: cheaper.
:facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here