Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lots of threads for different players. Let's have one for the main man. I'm not saying it wasn't fair to do so last season, but surely there isn't anybody doubting him any more? ???

An absolute gent, knows the game, and is now getting the best out of players who were average last season. I'm not going to re-write history and pretend Gus's final season was anything other than superb, but honestly, I think Hughton's appointment could prove to be a masterstroke and he could surpass anything Gus managed. And fair play to the board for backing him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has won me over. I was very definitely on the fence before this season and not at all convinced his team would entertain us. It is great to be SOOO wrong. Long may it continue. Top man indeed in every way :thumbsup:

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Finally a human being at the helm. You can keep your Poyets, Mourinhos, Van Gaals, Hyppias, Garcias, Steve Evans, Maclarens, Sherwoods, Pardews, Rogers etc. A more humble, gentle, insightful, level-headed, non-egotistical, nicer, respectful, intelligent tactician you couldn't hope to find. We are very lucky to have you Chris. Here's to the years ahead. Cheers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has won me over. I was very definitely on the fence before this season and not at all convinced his team would entertain us. It is great to be SOOO wrong. Long may it continue. Top man indeed in every way :thumbsup:
There was nothing last season to even get me to the fence.
NOBODY predicted what is happening now, as you say long may it continue.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I always said he should have a whole season with his own signings and I am expecting at least a top 6 finish this season.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Finally a human being at the helm. You can keep your Poyets, Mourinhos, Van Gaals, Hyppias, Garcias, Steve Evans, Maclarens, Sherwoods, Pardews, Rogers etc. A more humble, gentle, insightful, level-headed, non-egotistical, nicer, respectful, intelligent tactician you couldn't hope to find. We are very lucky to have you Chris. Here's to the years ahead. Cheers.

What he said.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He has one job to do last season and he did it. It was not pretty.
The board has backed him, he knows precisely what he is doing and we are seeing the benefits of a pre-season with a manager in place.
He has created a good, effective team out of a shambles - the mark of a very, very good manager.
I think everyone including himself is surprised at our start but the best thing is, he has the experience to keep that going, but also turn things around when things start to go not quite so well, as they inevitably will in this league. He will not panic, he will keep everyone on an even keel and I am starting to believe that we will do extremely well this season.
Onwards and upwards with a solid man at the helm!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
He can be as dull as he likes as long as he keeps producing these results.

The surprises for me are
- just how organised he has got his teams compared to last year,
- the ability so far this season to get his selection absolutely spot on
- his flexibility in working with a completely different formation (I know he has the squad to enable that)
- he is neither overly defensive minded nor do his teams play turgid football as warned by Norwich fans.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There was nothing last season to even get me to the fence.

Almost nobody. I wrote this

https://brightononlyathome.wordpres...year-present-from-tony-welcome-chris-hughton/

on the day he was appointed. Admittedly it doesn't say "we will sign Zamora and several internationals and be five points clear at the top in September" but he was always my preferred choice and I've always backed him.

We genuinely don't know how lucky we are having such a top bloke as manager. He has led the change.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He can be as dull as he likes as long as he keeps producing these results.

The surprises for me are
- just how organised he has got his teams compared to last year,
- the ability so far this season to get his selection absolutely spot on
- his flexibility in working with a completely different formation (I know he has the squad to enable that)
- he is neither overly defensive minded nor do his teams play turgid football as warned by Norwich fans.

It's a this to this from me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Barely anyone predicted top of the league, but I think a LOT of us thought we'd be far better this season (i.e. top 8), once he'd had a settled pre-season and some of his own signings.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I particularly enjoyed the juxtaposition of two managers last night. Rotherham have a morbidly obese, scruffy, sweaty angry *******, Brighton have a suave, articulate gentleman at the helm.

Hughton's given us our identity and pride back, I'm very grateful for that.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Certainly loving what he has got the team doing. Good football and good results. Will be interesting to see how he deals with the inevitable downturn in form that every club has during a season. If he can manage to keep that short and change things to turn it around then that will be true promotion quality

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Certainly loving what he has got the team doing. Good football and good results. Will be interesting to see how he deals with the inevitable downturn in form that every club has during a season. If he can manage to keep that short and change things to turn it around then that will be true promotion quality

Yes, he has been a real success this year -so far! And as you write, that will be the big test. I was rather concerned prior to the match last night that we would be too cocky and specifically wrote that keeping the team in the right frame of mind would test his managerial capabilities, and he certainly passed that test.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Here is the thing that has surprised me about what has happened.

Normally, Chris teams start very slowly in matches and very often go behind because he is usually too cautious in the opening 20 minutes or so - This happened a lot when he was in charge if both Birmingham and Newcastle in the Championship. Newwcastle I think actually came back from losing positions and won 5 or 6 times in that season.

This year his team get on the front foot right from the first minute which is very good to see. I watched both his seasons with Newcastle and Birmingham and saw quite a lot of the games during those seasons. Newcastle accumulated over 100 points when they went up.

I havn't actually been down for a match at Brighton this season but I did promise to do so when Jamie was playing so should do so soon; however, I actually think that this is a better side than both his Newcastle and Birmingham teams. Newcastle had better individuals and Birmingham was a very hard work ethic team but this team he has put together at Brighton has both individuals and a good work ethic. So for that reason, I think they could even be one of the best sides he has put together.

Norwhich was actually the best side he had put together as far as I have seen but the Norwich Board and fans never appreciated what he had put together in terms of a team. I think they actually saw themselves as a team which should be top 10 team in the Premiership with the smallest playing budget. Very delusional as they will find out this year. Their loss is Brighton's gain

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Here is the thing that has surprised me about what has happened.

Normally, Chris teams start very slowly in matches and very often go behind because he is usually too cautious in the opening 20 minutes or so - This happened a lot when he was in charge if both Birmingham and Newcastle in the Championship. Newwcastle I think actually came back from losing positions and won 5 or 6 times in that season.

This year his team get on the front foot right from the first minute which is very good to see. I watched both his seasons with Newcastle and Birmingham and saw quite a lot of the games during those seasons. Newcastle accumulated over 100 points when they went up.

I havn't actually been down for a match at Brighton this season but I did promise to do so when Jamie was playing so should do so soon; however, I actually think that this is a better side than both his Newcastle and Birmingham teams. Newcastle had better individuals and Birmingham was a very hard work ethic team but this team he has put together at Brighton has both individuals and a good work ethic. So for that reason, I think they could even be one of the best sides he has put together.

Norwhich was actually the best side he had put together as far as I have seen but the Norwich Board and fans never appreciated what he had put together in terms of a team. I think they actually saw themselves as a team which should be top 10 team in the Premiership with the smallest playing budget. Very delusional as they will find out this year. Their loss is Brighton's gain
Interesting post. What do you do for a living that you watched Chris at Newcastle and Birmingham? Scout/agent/his mum?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Interesting post. What do you do for a living that you watched Chris at Newcastle and Birmingham? Scout/agent/his mum?

LOL LOL LOL LOL...........................We have been friends for years but I do also work with a lot of people in football, including Chris

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I havn't actually been down for a match at Brighton this season but I did promise to do so when Jamie was playing so should do so soon; however, I actually think that this is a better side than both his Newcastle and Birmingham teams.
Stop it, that's too much. We've got a long way to go yet. Despite our great start and healthy lead, we're still only joint 3rd favourites to go up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here