Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is relegation still a possibility?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My heart doesn't think about such things. My brain tells me that we need 20-25 points to stay up, and that we'll get them, but that's not guaranteed. I've also just posted this on another thread:

My current thinking is:
55 more points gets us in the play-offs (i.e. from remaining 37 games = 74 points)
65 more points gets us promoted automatically (i.e. etc = 84 points)

People can trade past points tallies for play-offs and automatics, but this season's Championship is even more competitive, which means there are more fancied teams taking points off one another and, especially, drawing games (this has happened already).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know its fashionable to play down our chances, but seriously, there is no chance whatsoever of the Albion being relegated. In fact, I'd say there is a higher chance of Rotherham finishing in the top six.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Okay, yes I know mathematically we can definitely still go down, but in your heart and your brain do you really think there is any chance at all of us free-falling into a relegation battle this season?

Don't take anything for granted until Ernest has given his views on this thread. Once he says we are safe then we are definitely safe

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I know its fashionable to play down our chances, but seriously, there is no chance whatsoever of the Albion being relegated. In fact, I'd say there is a higher chance of Rotherham finishing in the top six.

If that's the case, it is simply impossible for us to get relegated this season then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I explained my rationale in the post. What's yours?
I think the standard of several teams is very high this year, but I don't think it's one of those years where everyone will take points off of each other week after week. A few seasons back, there were just a couple of games to go and all but a few teams could still get either promoted or relegated. I do expect results to be somewhat unpredictable (as is the Championship way), but not as much as in some previous seasons. 84 points would do it in several seasons, I just think there are a few teams that will push the line a bit higher this season. I hope you're right though.

Zickro

Aug 9, 2015
really? seriously? so positive this season over last! the club have done an outstanding job so far!

Zickro

Aug 9, 2015
Yes, that was my point in asking the question.

Both my head and heart say no chance of relegation this season! I know its early days but i'm confident we will be in the top six! - i'm new to posting on any forum not just NSC so prob be my fault if we end up where we did last season I just cant see it!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I really can't get my head around anyone being negative, or at least anxious after the start we have had. Yes we could be demoted, though it's an ever decreasing possibility.
But how does defeat enter ones mindset, when you're winning...anything?
I hope that if I suffered from any generalised anxiety disorder, and became concerned when everything was rosy, I'd refrain from any connection to its source, otherwise how in pity's name could I get any joy from it? :facepalm:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Mathematically, yes; we have only between 1/3 and 1/2 the points we need to avoid the drop. Emotionally, and intellectually, no, I don't think we have a chance of relegation this season. There are just too many things going right atm; it would take 4 or 5 season-long injuries, no replacements for them, and Hughton to leave in order for me to get worried and I can't see all of those things happening.

Promotion chances? That's much harder to predict. All I'm prepared to say on that is that extrapolation after tonight's game gives us 125 points at the end of the season, which would probably be enough! Extrapolation's great, isn't it?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Can we not rejoice in the best start to a Championship season for ages and don't start worrying about this sort of thing until February? Not that we will need to worry about it this season of course.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think the standard of several teams is very high this year, but I don't think it's one of those years where everyone will take points off of each other week after week. A few seasons back, there were just a couple of games to go and all but a few teams could still get either promoted or relegated. I do expect results to be somewhat unpredictable (as is the Championship way), but not as much as in some previous seasons. 84 points would do it in several seasons, I just think there are a few teams that will push the line a bit higher this season. I hope you're right though.

I said on another thread that the teams I'm worried about are the obvious ones (or at least the ones favoured by the punters at the bookies): Boro, Derby, Hull and Burnley. I'd be surprised if at least three of those don't make the top six. So that does fall in line with your rationale. But the Championship throws up surprises, and it's not just us. There are a whole host of teams that are also challenging for the play-offs. Glancing at the table, I'd say everyone in the top 15 (bar Leeds :D) could get there. Birmingham are the ones, for instance, that are out-performing expectations.
So I still expect 84 to be sufficient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here