Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings - Rotherham (H)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Stockdale - 6 - silly booking, some poor communication with the back four
Bong -7 - solid
Bruno - 8 - will forgive a couple of shaky defensive moments and instead praise that volley and sublime first half flick
Greer -7 - wonderful first half, dodgy second
SFG - 8 - a commanding, combative performance. His kind of game
Kayal - 8 - could have scored a couple, should have scored with that header. Everywhere as usual
Stephens - 9 - great strike and another terrific performance. Best I've seen from him
Murphy - 9 - MOTM - quick feet, takes on players, alwats a threat. Fantastic signing
March - 6 - surprised he lasted as long as he did. Will hopefully learn from the likes of Murphy
Hemed - 8 - a poacher. Always likely to score.
Baldock- 8 - another energetic performance. Deserved a goal

Zamora - 7 - held the ball up well
Ince - 6 - a bit sloppy

Thought the ref was very lenient on a very physical Rotherham side

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Stockdale - 8
Bong -8
Bruno - 8
Greer -6
SFG - 8
Kayal - 9
Stephens - 9
Murphy - 9
March - 6
Hemed - 8.5
Baldock- 8.5

Zamora 7
Ince - 6 Only March and Greer let the side down a bit and yes Ince poor in the time he had

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We should really have won by a clearer margin. We bossed the game for long periods, but far too many poor passes and questionable decision making.

Stockdale 6. Did what he had to ok, but a stupid booking for time wasting (any clown could have seen that coming) followed by a pathetic free kick into touch.
Bruno 8. Some sublime stuff again and a wonderful volley in the 2nd half which deserved a goal. However one or two of last season's frustrating faults crept into his game in the 2nd half.
Greer 7. OK performance.
Hunemeier 8. Solid defensive performance.
Bong 7. OK, but another foul throw, the second I've seen from him this season. A professional footballer should never take foul throws. Surely it's not that difficult to get it right?
Kayal 7. Great central midfield partnership developing with Stephens.
Stephens 8. MOM. Strong performance, great goal.
Murphy 7. Not sure I was quite as impressed as some on here and the match sponsors. He played very well and set up the first goal, but in the second half always took the ball inside and cannot remember him beating his man on the outside. Not yet up to Kazenga's standards, but a much better option than March.
March 5. Did some good stuff in flashes, but very poor decision making and end product needs a lot of work. Weak link tonight and surprised he wasn't subbed earlier.
Hemed 8. Keeps scoring goals. When did we last have a striker who did that? Not since the Man from Argentina.
Baldock 8. Having a great season, but tonight his ball control let him down a couple of times. Deserved a goal.

Subs:
Zamora 7. Held the ball up well and one superb shot on target.
Ince 8. Imposed himself on the game and shored up the defence.
Rosenior. Not on long enough to rate.

Whichever of our defenders was responsible for letting them score deserves to lose a point.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Stockdale - 7 - Meh.
Bruno - 8 - THAT VOLLEY.
Greer - 7 - Positioning is perfect, but lacks concentration sometimes. However, his leadership is key.
Uwe - 8 - Solid. Can't see Dunk getting first team football for a while injury permitted.
Bong - 8 - Yet again another solid and intelligent performance. Absolute steal.
March - 6 - Looks deprived of confidence. Never tries to beat his man and get a shot off like his first few first team appearances.
Kayal - 9 - One of the best box-to-box midfielders I've seen play for the Albion. Lovely touch through to Murphy for the first goal as well.
Stephens - 10 MOTM - Absolute class, calm and collective on the ball. Gerrard-esque finish as well.
Murphy - 9 - Everything that March wasn't. Looks like he'll only get better.
Hemed - 7 - Scored, but is very selfish in positions where other team mates were in more space. Still, can't complain.
Baldock - 7 - Completely different player from last season. Like the Hull game, some very nice touches. Goals will come.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Stockdale - 8
Bong -8
Bruno - 8
Greer -6
SFG - 8
Kayal - 9
Stephens - 9
Murphy - 9
March - 6
Hemed - 8.5
Baldock- 8.5

Zamora 7
Ince - 6 Only March and Greer let the side down a bit and yes Ince poor in the time he had

I don't understand how Greer could be considered as letting the team down. It wasn't Greer who conceded the free kick and it wasn't Greer who let his man go for the goal that followed. I noticed a couple of dodgy moments from Hunemeir when in possession, but he was his usual solid self when challenging the strikers. I didn't notice Greer do anything that let the team down. The defence was organised and rarely threatened. Greer looked to me to be as solid as he has been all season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stockdale - 6.5
Bruno - 8 - that volley !
Greer - 7.5
Honeymonster - 8 - pure class this lad
Bong - 8
March - 6
Stephens - 9 - outstanding game
Kayal - 8.5
Murphy - 8, great cover for Kaz. Liked him.
Hemed - 8. We actually have a proper striker.
Baldock - 8 loads of great runs, works hard, very skilful

Ince - 6
BZ - 7
Rosenior - not on long enough

CH - 7.5 - not sure we needed to go defensive when we did, and maybe left Solly on too long, but another win. He is the mutts nutts.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bong -7 - solid
Bruno - 8 - will forgive a couple of shaky defensive moments and instead praise that volley and sublime first half flick
Kayal - 8 - could have scored a couple, should have scored with that header. Everywhere as usual
Stephens - 9 - great strike and another terrific performance. Best I've seen from him
Murphy - 9 - MOTM - quick feet, takes on players, alwats a threat. Fantastic signing
March - 6 - surprised he lasted as long as he did. Will hopefully learn from the likes of Murphy

Ince - 6 - a bit sloppy

Spot on. I could have written that myself, although I'd have given Kayal and Stephens 8.5 each.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Some extremely high scores tonight. IMO although we dominated possession I didn't feel we were that great.

Stockdale 7
Bruno 8
Greer 7
Hunemier 7
Bong 7
Kayal 7
Stephens 8
Murphy 8
March 6
Hemed 6
Baldock. 7

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Bong -7 - solid

Ince - 6 - a bit sloppy

Can't disagree with the majority of these.

I would mark March as a 4 as I thought it was a particularly poor performance and he looks desperately short of confidence. I would also downgrade Uwe to a 7 and push Ince up to a 7.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Stockdale - 6

Bong - 7
Bruno - 7
Greer -7
UWE - 7

Kayal - 6.5
Stephens - 8
Murphy - 7
March - 5

Hemed - 6.5
Baldock- 6

Zamora - 6
Ince - 6

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Stockdale being moaned at for timewasting. Couldnt make it up. A booking which will Mean very little in a game where we just needed to see out a few minutes but out defence failed to keep hold of the ball and instead launched it straight back to Rotherham. Followed by a free kick which was put out by there corner flag.

Seriously WTF? Just get on with it and take it like Ankers did against Leeds a few years ago. Take the booking slow down play job done.

As for the ratings:

Stockdale 7
Bruno 8
Greer 7
BFG 8
Bong 7
March 5
Stephans 9 MoM
Kayal 8
Murphy 9
Hemed 8
Baldock 7

Ince 6
Zamora 6

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We should really have won by a clearer margin. We bossed the game for long periods, but far too many poor passes and questionable decision making.

Stockdale 6. Did what he had to ok, but a stupid booking for time wasting (any clown could have seen that coming) followed by a pathetic free kick into touch.
Bruno 8. Some sublime stuff again and a wonderful volley in the 2nd half which deserved a goal. However one or two of last season's frustrating faults crept into his game in the 2nd half.
Greer 7. OK performance.
Hunemeier 8. Solid defensive performance.
Bong 7. OK, but another foul throw, the second I've seen from him this season. A professional footballer should never take foul throws. Surely it's not that difficult to get it right?
Kayal 7. Great central midfield partnership developing with Stephens.
Stephens 8. MOM. Strong performance, great goal.
Murphy 7. Not sure I was quite as impressed as some on here and the match sponsors. He played very well and set up the first goal, but in the second half always took the ball inside and cannot remember him beating his man on the outside. Not yet up to Kazenga's standards, but a much better option than March.
March 5. Did some good stuff in flashes, but very poor decision making and end product needs a lot of work. Weak link tonight and surprised he wasn't subbed earlier.
Hemed 8. Keeps scoring goals. When did we last have a striker who did that? Not since the Man from Argentina.
Baldock 8. Having a great season, but tonight his ball control let him down a couple of times. Deserved a goal.

Subs:
Zamora 7. Held the ball up well and one superb shot on target.
Ince 8. Imposed himself on the game and shored up the defence.
Rosenior. Not on long enough to rate.

Whichever of our defenders was responsible for letting them score deserves to lose a point.

Where do you sit? I'd forgotten my glasses and really couldn't see well but trust me Murphy beat his defender(s!) countless times on the outside in the second half. He was absolutely class tonight!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sounded like Uwe made a massive howler in the second half on the radio. Was that not the case?

Not sure but there were a couple of times we got a bit complacent and sloppy with our play. Although, on the flip side our passing is on the whole so much crisper and direct than it was last season. Deserved the win, should have been by 3 or 4 goals but the main thing was we saw the game out pretty well again!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Sounded like Uwe made a massive howler in the second half on the radio. Was that not the case?
Yep can't believe the high marks for uwe. Thought he was sloppy tonight. He is too lackadaisical and keeps giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Will forgive as he's still acclimatising. But a few more performances like that and dunk will be in.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Scores so far are generally too high - we had a panicky last 10 holding on to a 1 goal lead against a side that is definitely going down. Yeah yeah we had 20 odd shots but we gifted them a goal and two great chances whilst not being ruthless at the other end.
V happy that our worst home performance ended in 3 points, but let's not kid ourselves it was not a vintage performance. So...
Stockers 4 - nothing to do except play a couple of dodgy passes to defenders with attackers breathing down their neck and pick up a stupid booking whilst prolonging the game by a minute.
Bruno 6 - great start to the season and did well again tonight going forward but....Derbyshire got between him and Greet for their only 1st half chance, and he let the cross come in too easily for the great chance they had early 2nd half.
Bong 7 - run for the 2nd goal was great. Strong and quick, but like all the back four marked down for dicking about and losing possession in our own half far too often.
BFG 5 - horrible error for the chance at start of 2nd half. Guilty of dicking about on occasion, but not as bad as GG on that count
GG 5 - good first half, second was best forgotten
King Kayal - 7 did ok but overshadowed by Stephens
Stephens - 8 MoM. Grabbed the game by the scruff when we were dithering at 1-0
March - 3. Low on confidence, totally one footed, no end product. Just confirmed to CH. that he's last in the pecking order amongst our widemen
Murphy - 8. Grew in confidence and a fair shout from sponsors as MoM
Baldrick - 6 think he is having a fine season but not his very best tonight.
Hemed - 7-and-a-bit: goal and assist but should have hit one chance 1st time and I still would like to see more from him - eg win the odd header outside the box?

Subs
BZ - 5. Added little but on his own upfront at the end. For those marking 7 and saying 'held the ball up well' I hope you were giving COG 8's for his sub appearances earlier in the year.
Ince - 5 some good some not-so. Will be important for us this year so happy to see him get game time, but needs to learn not to retreat back between the centre halves and invite pressure when we're defending a lead.
Liam - n/a. I would pick him for Wolves and Bolton. Astonished he didn't replace Solly by the hour mark.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Yep can't believe the high marks for uwe. Thought he was sloppy tonight. He is too lackadaisical and keeps giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Will forgive as he's still acclimatising. But a few more performances like that and dunk will be in.

You're so wrong! He is brilliant! Won every single ball in the air tonight, continuously. He's a boss. Greer has improved dramatically but Dunk & Uwe would be unbeatable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here