Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Constipated CHICKENS

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Does anyone here on the good ship NSC own a fleet of chickens?

My old mum has been keeping them for a few months and they have STOPPED delivering eggs. Any suggestions how to resume the production line?

Ta very much

EP x

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Did you visit after watching animal farm? That'll certainly put them off.
It could be a number of things, the shorter day just taking a temporary effect, a mite infestation or if they are losing feathers they could just be going through their annual moult. It would be unusual for them all to stop laying though.
I read all sorts of things when I kept chickens but one thing I often read was to put a little apple cider vinegar in their water. Perks them up a bit apparently.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Hello, NSC's resident chicken keeper here.

In contrast to popular belief, chickens don't lay all year round. Like mammals, they have seasonal moults. I suspect that, like my girls, yours have stopped producing because the temperature's dropped a bit in recent weeks. If they are eggbound the advice above from rool regards to apple cider vinegar is good, it's a bit of a magic tonic to chooks.

If you need any further advice Pres PM me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Chickens don't lay whilst in moult ( which can take up to around four weeks ). Also overfed chickens don't lay and nor do stressed chickens.

If they have bald patches then they are in moult - nowt you can do but wait.

Stress can be overcome by letting them run round the garden or giving them food to play with - hang a lettuce up in their run if they have one.

Also, chickens only have a certain amount of eggs in them from birth - you hit that limit then that's it.

Try giving them a few treats ( not too many ) mine love tomatoes.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
As it gets colder and darker they will reduce the number of eggs they are producing. Also they will stop / reduce as they get old or have been scared (a low flying helicopter near us used to reduce the eggs. Maybe they are just getting anxious about tonight's game?

If they are really constipated (vs reduced egg production) then you are lucky because they produce a lot of cr*p!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hello, NSC's resident chicken keeper here.

In contrast to popular belief, chickens don't lay all year round.
Not entirely true. For some years I used to re-home ex-battery hens, and they laid right through - spring, summer, winter - pretty much as long as they lived.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Slightly OT - I'm moving into a place with sufficient garden for some chickens. I've always wanted a few (well, their eggs, tbh), but know sod all about it. Can anyone point me to a decent website &/or book(s) please? I'm guessing that, like most things, it's rather more complicated than you'd initially think - hence no request for a detailed blow by blow account of what I need to consider - not that I wouldn't read and appreciate such a script, you understand...

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Chickens generally need 14 hours of daylight to keep laying. Your chickens ceasing to lay coincides pretty much with when the daylight hours dropped below that minimum.

If you want them to continue laying, install a light on a timer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why don't you try getting hold of a massive cock?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Not entirely true. For some years I used to re-home ex-battery hens, and they laid right through - spring, summer, winter - pretty much as long as they lived.

True! I keep a few breeds, generally speaking most have an egg break period.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Slightly OT - I'm moving into a place with sufficient garden for some chickens. I've always wanted a few (well, their eggs, tbh), but know sod all about it. Can anyone point me to a decent website &/or book(s) please? I'm guessing that, like most things, it's rather more complicated than you'd initially think - hence no request for a detailed blow by blow account of what I need to consider - not that I wouldn't read and appreciate such a script, you understand...

Is it a decent breeder you're looking for? PM me and I'll point you in the right direction. I can even breed you some to order, all I ask is you take any males as well which is a sticking point for many, especially if you live in a residential area.

As for books, I've a few but have a Google around, any decent book on care and maintenance will help. They are great pets and a lot of fun, my top tips are give them a varied diet and lots of excercise, also please do take into account foxes, they are incredibly clever and will try every trick in the book to get at your birds. Most of it is common sense, the amount of people I know who have had a fox attack because they left them out in the garden til dusk really saddens me.

edit: This is a good website to start you off https://www.omlet.co.uk/

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

a) It's dead easy to keep them

b) This website is great and also you get rescue chickens from them - http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The website Westdene Seagull recommends is excellent. Starting off with ex-battery hens is really rewarding - watching them start to enjoy freedom, fresh air, sunshine and rain is just wonderful.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The website Westdene Seagull recommends is excellent. Starting off with ex-battery hens is really rewarding - watching them start to enjoy freedom, fresh air, sunshine and rain is just wonderful.

Indeed - and they also re-home ex-free range chickens who normally get the chop after a year. We have 3 and get 3 eggs over two days - just the perfect number for a family of 5.

The chickens are also so friendly and funny. We had a family BBQ this weekend ( no chicken !!! ) and they made all the guests roar with laughter with their antics in the garden.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Also, but I have no personal experience of this, apparently chickens get encouraged to lay eggs if they find other eggs - competitive egg laying if you like. So some chicken owners put ping pong balls or china eggs in the coop. Don't put real eggs in as this encourages them to eat eggs which will mean you get none !

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is it a decent breeder you're looking for? PM me and I'll point you in the right direction. I can even breed you some to order, all I ask is you take any males as well which is a sticking point for many, especially if you live in a residential area.

As for books, I've a few but have a Google around, any decent book on care and maintenance will help. They are great pets and a lot of fun, my top tips are give them a varied diet and lots of excercise, also please do take into account foxes, they are incredibly clever and will try every trick in the book to get at your birds. Most of it is common sense, the amount of people I know who have had a fox attack because they left them out in the garden til dusk really saddens me.

edit: This is a good website to start you off https://www.omlet.co.uk/

Thanks very much. I'll PM you when I've done some basic research - thanks for the offer...

a) It's dead easy to keep them

b) This website is great and also you get rescue chickens from them - http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

Thanks very much. I'll do some reading!

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here