Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****ing windows 10 crashed my laptop

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I was quite happily sitting down ready to watch the Newcastle vs West Ham (Ms Spongy) is a Toon fan.

It decided just after kick off to shut down and install the latest set of updates. I came back to it 15 minutes later and it was on my home screen but frozen. I've re-booted it but it won't restart and keeps auto diagnosing itself.

I have 3 options....

Restart and continue to Win10 - this does the same thing, auto diagnose.

Advanced - reset PC, can't do this as have files I need to keep
Reset PC and keep files - just says it can't due to a problem and back to previous screen.
Turn off PC - what a cracking idea! Wish I'd thought of that! See option 1.

In advanced there are more options to go back to previous builds and restore points but it jus says there is an error and throws me back to the advanced settings screen.

Can anyone point me to something I can do that will ensure I don't lose anything or is it a case of taking it to a repair shop?

Bloody Microsoft. Windows 10 was running on my machine perfectly fine with no issues whatsoever until this evening.:censored::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I had windows 7 for years. Windows 10 was perfect. No issues, glitches, bugs or problems. Then this evening happened. I just can't get into it. There must be an issue with a start up file but I'm not techy enough to get into it and have a look. I don't know what I'm looking for.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Windows 8 is awful

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Recently had Vista but after a change of laptop had 8.1 but have upgraded to 10.

However, for some reason, I cannot now crop photos since leaving Vista. Any ideas to remedy?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry to OP.

My Laptop currently runs happily on Windows 7 but I made the mistake of clicking on the Windows 10 'free' update.

Given subsequent information is there any way I can cancel the update or have they got me by the short and curlies ?

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I can't get Sky Go to work.

Therefore, to watch the West Ham/ Newcastle game, I had to ignore the legal app with its inconsistent quality and instead use a 'dodgy' stream with superior image quality and reliability.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I can't get Sky Go to work.

Therefore, to watch the West Ham/ Newcastle game, I had to ignore the legal app with its inconsistent quality and instead use a 'dodgy' stream with superior image quality and reliability.

I had that at the start as the new browser Edge didn't work with SkyGo. It didn't work with chrome either so have been using Explorer and it's fine.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I am not computer savvy AT ALL, I'm just one of those who always clicks "ignore" if an upgrade is suggested as I'm happy as I am.

My ladyfriend however is not. She clicked upgrade and my laptop is now slower than Marcos Painter.

I dared to try and open a spreadhseet yesterday. How silly of me.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Try this.

I couldn't get that to work. But it's now kind of fixed.

I kept going in circles and ending up at the same error page. System restore to an earlier point kind of worked as in I managed to get into other parts of the operating system and managed to "reset" the whole thing with an option to save my files so I haven't lost any photos etc.

But on re boot it has deleted any and all programs that I've installed since I bought it. It won't take long to re install most of them as they're downloadable.

The only major issue I have is that iTunes has disappeared. This wouldn't normally be a problem but I've yet to check if my music is still on the machine. It better be. I have an iPod classic 160gb with nearly 100gb of music. So in the region of 10k songs.

During one of the last iTunes updates all the music in the "my music" folder decided to fracture into individual tracks so now I have 1000 track1's, 1000 track 2's etc not grouped into albums. God knows what song goes on what album etc. it would take weeks to re group it all. Providing it's still all there.

Another issue is if it isn't I can't plug my iPod into iTunes as it will wipe it. Unless anybody knows how to move files from an iPod onto a computer?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here