Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sign Petition against the Trade Union Bill

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm all up for the political debates and threads on here, but don't like party political petitions being posted on here.

I reckon if people want to use NSC for this then they should pay - same as people who want to post adverts.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I'm all up for the political debates and threads on here, but don't like party political petitions being posted on here.

I reckon if people want to use NSC for this then they should pay - same as people who want to post adverts.

I don't really agree, you don't have to sign it...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
A clear attack on workers and worker rights. Agency staff allowed to break strikes. The never ending race to the bottom will speed up considerably if this bill gets passed.

Please sign here:

http://www.labour.org.uk/w/trade-union-bill-petition

Sorry but I'm not too much genned up on these matters as, while I understand the union point of view, I also understand that strikes, by certain unions, tend to blackmail ordinary members of the public who, depending upon the specific 'action' or should it be 'inaction' , are prevented from attending their legitimate employment. As said, depends on what union and what action.

By the by, I was a member of Unison for years who, sadly, in my time of need failed to respond to emails despite having accepted my membership subscription which, of course, included the political levy.

Can anyone please explain ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Won't be signing I'm afraid - firstly it's only right that Unions get a decent majority of ALL their members voting for strike action before doing so. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with an employer being allowed the use agency workers in the event of a strike. A worker has decided to withdraw their labour - that is THEIR decision - if the job needs doing then the employer should have every right to get it done ( albeit it will be more expensive for them ). I've never seen anyone object to the Army covering for striking firemen in the past.

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
A clear attack on workers and worker rights. Agency staff allowed to break strikes. The never ending race to the bottom will speed up considerably if this bill gets passed.

Please sign here:

:wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:
No.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
No from me as well. When I was in a closed shop union back in the early eighties, I resented being forced out of work and when a couple of years ago I could only get agency work etc. etc.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Like all walks of life there are those in industry who are happy to be apathetic and let others do the thinking for them. In the same way as we do in referendums and elections, their vote should be considered an acquiescence to the decision of those who do.

Having said that, I am not sure that is actually a petition so much as a sneaky way for the Labour Party to get people's email addresses.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No way am I signing.

No way back to the 80's and their terrible strangle hold.

We do appear to heading through a worm hole back to the early 80's but it's Corbyn instead of Foot. Not good news unless Albion's top division status is copied too!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

agree with thatt, also neither the thread starter or the petition actually bother to provide any information on the bill or why its bad. it might be terrible, but if they dont say why, why should anyone sign it?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Won't be signing I'm afraid - firstly it's only right that Unions get a decent majority of ALL their members voting for strike action before doing so. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with an employer being allowed the use agency workers in the event of a strike. A worker has decided to withdraw their labour - that is THEIR decision - if the job needs doing then the employer should have every right to get it done ( albeit it will be more expensive for them ). I've never seen anyone object to the Army covering for striking firemen in the past.

I see what you are saying from a legal point of view but in the case of unskilled workers they can always be replaced by temp workers. So you would be completely nullifying the only real weapon they have in order to maintain their own rights.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What actually are you opposing, the link only takes you to page which says 'I oppose the government's Trade Union Bill and I will stand up for rights and freedom at work.'

So if are unaware of the detail within the bill you are being asked to sign a petition supporting rights and freedom at work, which most would not object to. This is clearly Labour and Trade Union spin without mentioning the detail of the Bill.

It seems in todays world a few trade union activists and an inner clique control the union and in calling for strike action from the membership are aware that most members will not vote for whatever reason and therefore can hold out for retaining outdated practices.

While unions have brought about improvements in workers rights, conditions, pay and safety over the years, as has been said by others no one really whats a return to era of the miners strikes and the violence that brought.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
"rights and freedom at work". Does that mean they will let workers who did NOT vote for a strike go to work if their union goes on strike?

No other election works that way though - "I didn't vote for it so I am going to ignore the outcome".

To be fair, in my line of work when we strike many staff choose to ignore it, take a day's pay, and nothing is said. I don't feel they should, mind.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No other election works that way though - "I didn't vote for it so I am going to ignore the outcome".

To be fair, in my line of work when we strike many staff choose to ignore it, take a day's pay, and nothing is said. I don't feel they should, mind.

You can't really compare a strike vote with an election of a representative though ( and I've had a small bet with myself of a Jammy Dodger that someone will mention that MPs don't need an overall majority to win ! ).

A strike doesn't HAVE to be held regardless - it would be rather poor that voters aren't represented because no candidate could gain a 51% majority. So voting for representation is completely different to voting to withdraw your labour.

Are you really telling me that if your union held a ballot that resulted in a strike being backed by a minority of the overall membership but you disagreed with the reason to strike that you'd still strike ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Don't see your problem. Just ignore the thread if you don't like it.

FWIW, I've signed. Not a great fan of trade unions, but respect their right to exist, and the right of workers to have a union they can join. This legislation is just pure Tory spite - and they know their supporters and those people that bankroll them will just love it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here