Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gosbts

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Might just have been my ears but on Saturday was Sussex by the Sea sung more loudly than usual and with the right words from everyone (no der-dee-der)?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It's because they put the words on the screen so people know them. Not cringy at all and seems to be working. I say keep the words.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Keep the words but lose the soprano. Ruins it for me every time. Get the tenors back. They were much better imho.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Keep the words but lose the soprano. Ruins it for me every time. Get the tenors back. They were much better imho.

Agreed. It's not a ******** aria, it's a marching song.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder if the club will consider using a version on you tube with an infantry band 15th/19th Hussars I think it is, with their band playing it and the unit singing it like a male choir.

Just checked it out it is 14th/20th Hussars not as stated

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Excellent rendition on Saturday in keeping with the general togetherness. For those present, singing "stand or fall" properly might retain some special significance for the next few weeks at least and then become a habit to continue with...?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Do I have permission to chin the two 50-something dads behind me who roar with laughter and exchange playful punches when they see the words "now let your hearts be gay"?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
This made me giggle from Hull fan site @Amber__Nectar on Twitter

"Brighton's club song is essentially Advance Australia Fair with new lyrics. #hcafc"

Interesting blog post here about the game too:

http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2015/09/things-we-think-we-think-197/

That is an interesting read. Hull fans really think their side was terrible on Saturday, don't they? Wait till they acclimatise properly to this league.

Shame the traditional pre-kick-off montage came across as "cynical marketing". Of course it was nothing of the kind and it was really just there to restore a bit of normality ... though in hindsight I can see how an outsider might have thought it jarred.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Do I have permission to chin the two 50-something dads behind me who roar with laughter and exchange playful punches when they see the words "now let your hearts be gay"?

Yes and and anybody who persists with the "going up to win the cup" words instead of "stand or fall" - and I'm a 50-something Dad!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I wonder if the club will consider using a version on you tube with an infantry band 15th/19th Hussars I think it is, with their band playing it and the unit singing it like a male choir.

Just checked it out it is 14th/20th Hussars not as stated
The only problem with that, BG, is that the Hussars are singing their own words, "We are the 14th/20th" ending with the memorable line "You can tell them all that we know f** all of Sussex by the Sea".

But those Lancastrians do show how real men can actually sing the whole song in tune, and in key – well, as long as they do it somewhat gruffly. In other words, as real squaddies on the march would be singing it. Which is infinitely preferable to having some operatic diva ruining it by trilling every single syllable in a horribly exaggerated and irritating manner.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
That is an interesting read. Hull fans really think their side was terrible on Saturday, don't they? Wait till they acclimatise properly to this league.

Shame the traditional pre-kick-off montage came across as "cynical marketing". Of course it was nothing of the kind and it was really just there to restore a bit of normality ... though in hindsight I can see how an outsider might have thought it jarred.

Good post and article from the Hull City fan. Yes, you are right in that he would probably have not realised that about the DVD. Could possibly have been avoided on this particular occasion as it was not quite in keeping with what went on before?? I too was surprised that it was one minute's applause, but this is fashionable these days, and it is not a big deal. And of course the families may have been consulted.
Good that the fan did not just simply say that their poor display made us look good, and he was complimentary about our speed. If this can be a hallmark of our football this year, then that would be a real bonus after the slow build up of previous seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here