Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Eastbourne, advice needed pls!

zara23

Sep 14, 2015
Hi all,

I know this isn't football but I could really use a bit of help/opinions here. I am considering moving to Eastbourne, East Sussex as I've been offered a position there. I have no experience of the cost of living there so I can't quite work out if the offer is decent of not. What they have offered me so far is a 2 bed flat rent free (don't know exactly where yet though) and £3000 relocation package. The salary, however, is only about £18,000 p/a.

I am meeting them in 2 weeks to find out all of the rest of the details but I just don't know if this is a good deal? Should I try to negotiate more money at the meeting? I have a 9year old daughter as well, can we live on this salary in this area comfortably?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Zara

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Find out roughly where the flat is and post on here. Like most places Eastbourne has a wide range of quality in areas of the town.

Rent on a 2 bed flat could be as much as £800-£1000 a month (?) in a nice area so your £18K would look more like £30K+ which is a reasonable mid-range income for the town, I would think.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
e2d34a2d19f00afc6c31113ca9616b90.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The 2011 census had Eastbourne as the first town to exceed 70 as the average age. There are a lot of pensioners in Eastbourne, there probably wouldn't be if it was an expensive place to live.

that applied to one little area, Meads.

zara23

Sep 14, 2015
Depends what and where you are now, have you a secure job and place at the moment?

Nope! I'm living in Ireland at the moment- originally from Liverpool but parents moved me here when I was 13. 28 now and was laid off in June- absolutely no work going here so sent some CV's out and Eastbourne came in with an offer

zara23

Sep 14, 2015
Ha I've heard this! But then there are others saying it's full of youths and thugs.. Is there no in between? Is it really that bad..

zara23

Sep 14, 2015
Find out roughly where the flat is and post on here. Like most places Eastbourne has a wide range of quality in areas of the town.

Rent on a 2 bed flat could be as much as £800-£1000 a month (?) in a nice area so your £18K would look more like £30K+ which is a reasonable mid-range income for the town, I would think.

That's what I was thinking too. So from my research, it's a decent offer in say, Old Town, Lagney Point and Meads but not so good in Shinewater?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The youngsters got very upset about that story it seems...

well it was rather daft. looking at the actual demographics the family cohorts (under 16 and 35-64) are increasing, while the over 65 is decreasing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ha I've heard this! But then there are others saying it's full of youths and thugs.. Is there no in between? Is it really that bad..
Of course there is pretty much everything in between the teenage yobbo and the retired High Court judge..!!

It is a lovely place to live and work. The wonderful and easily accessed surrounding areas of Sussex make it even better.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Go for it - Not having to pay rent etc will save you a fortune and Eastbourne's alright, no better or worse than anywhere else. Plus it gets you back in work. Others can advise on the area where the flat is, so if it is dodgy then you can perhaps negotiate.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That's what I was thinking too. So from my research, it's a decent offer in say, Old Town, Lagney Point and Meads but not so good in Shinewater?
The decentness of the offer obviously depends also on the job, what is normal pay and what you are used to. In relative terms I would say that an effective salary of something like £25-30K would be absolutely fine to live reasonably comfortably in a 2 bed flat in a nice part of the town. Not going to feel rich but not like London (or Brighton?) where the cost of living would be a struggle.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Under no circumstances take a flat in Pevensey Road or Langney Road

Old Town is nice but not the Cavalry Crescent side

avoid Southern Road area of Hampden Park

please don't let these comments put you off,I lived in Eastbourne for 15 years,it's a really nice town

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here