Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Brian Close

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
A great English sportsman has passed away. Former English cricket captain and stalwart of Yorkshire CCC Brian Close has died aged 84. Close was the youngest person ever to play Test cricket for England after making his debut against New Zealand in 1949 as an 18-year-old. I was fortunate to see him play at the County Ground on several occasions during the 1970s.

Close also played professional football for Leeds United, Arsenal and Bradford City. A remarkable sporting career.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMx7jYZLzAs

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Oh dear. Another icon from my sporting youth gone. :(

I wondered, is my recollection of him using his chest (pre the days of padding) to fend off the Windies' fastest a false one? Great to see that video.
Was that catch rebounding off his forehead apocryphal or did it really happen?
A wholly different era.
Happy memories.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sad news , a truly great man . He didn't bruise easily

[yt]KXsfEdJ_G5w[/YT]

Quite incredible to see how he wouldn't show any signs of pain or fear apart from the initial grimace. The selectors brought him back in that series because to be honest all England's young batsmen were just not up to that. They were terrified.
I might be wrong but didn't David Steele win the BBC sports personality of the year award for grinding out a few 50's in that series. Jesus those bruises.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Quite incredible to see how he wouldn't show any signs of pain or fear apart from the initial grimace. The selectors brought him back in that series because to be honest all England's young batsmen were just not up to that. They were terrified.
I might be wrong but didn't David Steele win the BBC sports personality of the year award for grinding out a few 50's in that series. Jesus those bruises.

No. Steele won SPOTY the previous year, for grinding out a few 50s against an Aussie attack of Lillee and Thommo. Steele actually scored a ton against the WI team.

Close was something else: the toughest cricketer I've ever seen. He used to field so close, he could have picked the batsman's pocket. A great player and an inspiring one. RIP Closey

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
When I was young, my father attended yorkshire nets ran by don mosey at headingly as he was in line to play second X1 cricket ( he played in the central yorkshire league) and Brian close took interest in his development along with chris balderstone, who was dads best mate.

I remember close as a very serious chap and actually very scary!

I suppose he is the last of the great sportsmen that played cricket and football to league level....Compton, balderstone, Sidebottom, Close, Chis Neal....I suppose lineker could be included in that list as he played second X1 cricket for Leicestershire

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Compton, balderstone, Sidebottom, Close, Chis Neal....I suppose lineker could be included in that list as he played second X1 cricket for Leicestershire

Phil Neale, not Chris.

I'm sure that there'll be a few more. Sussex have had two in recent years: Tony Cottey and Joe Gatting (who's still playing county cricket)

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Phil Neale, not Chris.

I'm sure that there'll be a few more. Sussex have had two in recent years: Tony Cottey and Joe Gatting (who's still playing county cricket)

Botham (Scunthorpe) and pretty sure Mike Gatting was on Arsenal's books, though didn't play in the league or for the first team.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think David Steele's famous series was the year before, against Lillee and Thompson, but he did play in the '76 Windies series too.

Brian Close - tough as old boots. Mantis shrimp and honey badger - move over!
RIP sir.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Such as Dennis Foreman, Don Bates and Ken Suttle; we shouldn't be letting the Yorkie migrant get away with this.

Glad you mentioned these three, not least Don Bates and Denis Foreman who were in the Albion side that won promotion in 1957/8. Batesy used to come on as first change bowler to John Snow and Tony Buss for Sussex in the late sixties. He also turned out several times in the early seventies for Keymer and Hassocks CC alongside yours truly. A thoroughly nice bloke.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
came back from Australia battered and bruised................................with the Ashes
RIP Brian

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Such as Dennis Foreman, Don Bates and Ken Suttle; we shouldn't be letting the Yorkie migrant get away with this.

i think it would be impossible thee days with the ridiculous length of the footie season for a dual sportsman like the players of old.

This token migrant is basking in the glory of back to back championships and one without many of our so called " stars"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A great sportsman, a real character. RIP Brian.

Bill Athey not only played cricket for Sussex, to say nothing of Yorkshire and Gloucestershire, he turned out for Ringmer FC in the County League. And Brentford reserves as well.

But let not these quibbles detract from the greatness of Brian Close.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
came back from Australia battered and bruised................................with the Ashes
RIP Brian

think you are right it was ILLY that came back with the ashes and the west indians who battered poor old Close
I still would not have remembered if I had not read up on it
my memory ............although it was a long time ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here