Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aston Villa vs Brighton U21

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Looking forward to seeing our team selection today. Will Hambo or Harper feature today? I fully expect Crofts to get another 90 mins under his belt.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Looking forward to seeing our team selection today. Will Hambo or Harper feature today? I fully expect Crofts to get another 90 mins under his belt.

I doubt Hambo will be ready yet. According to an article on a Finnish news site published on August 27 - Brighton-kärki Vahid Hambo: "Näytön paikka tulee"

[Google translation] Three months on the sidelines

Team Practice will have to wait.

- Let's look at a moment yet, the ankle will certainly withstand stress. Two to three weeks, so I'm the team involved.

Hambo wants to play no later than a month's time.

And last Monday, in the Argus, Hughton explained about Hambo:-

He came back to fitness and then just rolled his ankle a bit. But it was nothing serious. We said with Harper when he signed that he was going to be two to three months. Hambo is different and I know he is close.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Monakana is now back with Albion, so I wonder if he will be involved (seeing as he didn't get much playing time at Bristol Rovers).

Aug 21, 2011
I see that the U21's play at the Lancing training ground now as opposed to Culver Road. Can we still go and watch or are they all played behind closed doors as its at the training ground??

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I see that the U21's play at the Lancing training ground now as opposed to Culver Road. Can we still go and watch or are they all played behind closed doors as its at the training ground??

U-21 matches at the Lancing training ground usually have 100 tickets available on a first-come-first-served basis to season-ticket holders only (they have to be booked in advance and printed at home).

However, from the provisional minutes of the Supporters' Club AGM last month (attended by Paul Barber):-

Albion are looking to build a 500-seat stand at the training ground to give spectators more comfort and to allow disabled supporters to enjoy games. Hope this will be in place mid-season. Tickets will still have to be collected from Amex Stadium, although also looking into possibility of print-at-home. Print-at-home can give rise to problems which are difficult to resolve where, unlike the Amex Stadium, there is no ticket office.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
U-21 matches at the Lancing training ground usually have 100 tickets available on a first-come-first-served basis to season-ticket holders only (they have to be booked in advance and printed at home).

However, from the provisional minutes of the Supporters' Club AGM last month (attended by Paul Barber):-

Thats brilliant news, originally they said no one could go, then families, this must be getting in line with other Premiership facilities in the U21 leagues.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

How do you book in advance as cannot see anything indicating this on the web site or do you have to ring up ?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Monakana is now back with Albion, so I wonder if he will be involved (seeing as he didn't get much playing time at Bristol Rovers).

Monakana can't seemingly get regular game time for any league club. Is there much point in persisting with him?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Shame they didn't stick with Culver Road, great little ground for dev games.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just go to the u-21/DS fixtures on the club's website. I did it for the (postponed) last match, and it was easy.

I have and clicked the link and it just goes to the tickets and know realise how stupid I am as it is an away game - DOH !

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Being used by the Women's team now, the premiership seems to want these games played either in the main clubs stadium (currently 3 a season as part of terms) and at the performance centres. I agree, both Worthing and Lancing were good venues.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

I saw Hambo on my walk to work this morning. Tall fella - terrible dress sense - glorious hair.
Looked like he was off to Lancing to train and appeared to be fit so no reason why he shouldn't be involved.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I saw Hambo on my walk to work this morning. Tall fella - terrible dress sense - glorious hair.
Looked like he was off to Lancing to train and appeared to be fit so no reason why he shouldn't be involved.

Yeah I saw him a couple of weeks ago walking down middle street, terrible clothes but tall and a great head of hair!!!

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Being used by the Women's team now, the premiership seems to want these games played either in the main clubs stadium (currently 3 a season as part of terms) and at the performance centres. I agree, both Worthing and Lancing were good venues.

As far as I am aware, the club were quite happy using Culver Road. And I am not sure that "the premiership" has any view on games being played at "performance centres" (the game against Aston Villa tonight is being played at Walsall's ground).

I think the explanation for the move from Culver Road is the new artificial pitch that has been (or will be) laid. From the Supporters' Club May newsletter:-

Now some members have commented that more under-21 fixtures are being played at the training ground. This can often be because of the unavailability of Culver Road, or the unsuitability of its heavily-used pitch for, say, a player returning from injury. However, there are no spectator facilities at the training ground – no refreshments, seats or roof – in contrast to the Sussex FA ground, and only limited capacity which must be booked in advance. We made the point re spectators, but it looks like Culver Road is to be converted to an artificial pitch – which would preclude Albion playing under-21 games there. There is therefore a problem of which Albion are aware. We wait to see what the football club comes up with as a solution.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As far as I am aware, the club were quite happy using Culver Road. And I am not sure that "the premiership" has any view on games being played at "performance centres" (the game against Aston Villa tonight is being played at Walsall's ground).

I think the explanation for the move from Culver Road is the new artificial pitch that has been (or will be) laid. From the Supporters' Club May newsletter:-

As an aside I think the thinking behind generally not playing at Academy Centres is to offer the U21 players a more real football experience within a stadium environment and so added are the fixtures within the real stadium too.

I think historically the reserves/U21's have always played within the real stadiums and you do wonder with so much money swilling around at the top end, category one which includes BHA you do wonder if this is a genuine belief then why not play all competitive games at the real stadiums, otherwise just as well save a few quid and play them all at the Academy Training Centres.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here