Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the quickest player to ever wear the Blue & White stripes?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
In an episode of 'Superstars' in the late 70's perhaps early 80's didnt Malcom Mcdonald win the sprint race with a time that would of got him in the GB Olympic squads 4 by 4 relay, that was on an old ash track wearing a trusted pair of old Adidas Gazelles !!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Undoubtedly it has to be Dick TIGHT at the Chelsea FA Youth Cup match when he was TIMED at 100mph LEGGING it down Tongdean Lane with the BUCKETS of CASH. Even Usain BLOT couldn't KEEP up with the potless pillock.

As a GROUP being QUICK it would have to be the CROWD at Withdean LEAVING as Atilla started to RECITE another POEM and thank GOD he didn't START singing the RED Flag as Speed World RECORDS would have been broken.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Will Buckley, Gotsmanov, and David Armstrong for me.

Nice one Perseus you've managed to name check Will Buckley again :thumbsup:

I had actually overlooked him but you are right. So many being mentioned on here were 3rd or 4th division footballers from way back and we are now playing at a higher level than most mentioned played at. Football and footballers are much faster and fitter these days, I imagine Kaz and Buckley would have left most of the speed merchants of the past looking like they were running in treacle.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
Will Buckley was lightning when he was fit. I don't think Kaz is actually that fast - quick acceleration over the first 5 yards, but his top speed isn't that fast

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Not suggesting he was the fastest but Neil Smillie must have been pretty rapid as his main strength was just knock it past the full back and run like buggery. As I remember it - it was a long time ago.

Same as Dean Saunders then

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just going by that run he made to the ball that was going out near the corner flag a couple of years ago, and his splendid centre for the goal, I'd have to suggest that former England international Wayne Bridge could motor a bit too.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Will Buckley was lightning when he was fit. I don't think Kaz is actually that fast - quick acceleration over the first 5 yards, but his top speed isn't that fast

Sprint speed: Buckley

Acceleration (12 yards): Buckley

Acceleration start up speed over six yards: Gotsmanov, Peter Ward, Lualua,

Opponents: lots, but I don't think any were as fast as Buckley: Walcott ?

Mike Williamson (Newcastle) did well to nearly catch Buckley and to get back when Wayne Bridge was motoring.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
From memory, his other variant was to over-run the ball.

He had to wait around for Alex Dawson to amble up to the attack.

Lee Steele had a turn of pace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here