Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ron Springett - who remembers?

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Ron Springett, the ex-England goalie has died. Any older Northstanders remember him? He was actually understudy for Gordon Banks in 1966 World Cup. I remember having Springett-endorsed goalie gloves when I played in goal at school. Certainly saved one or two certain goals when I wore them. Great goalie and will be missed.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Ron Springett, the ex-England goalie has died. Any older Northstanders remember him? He was actually understudy for Gordon Banks in 1966 World Cup. I remember having Springett-endorsed goalie gloves when I played in goal at school. Certainly saved one or two certain goals when I wore them. Great goalie and will be missed.

Sad to hear, yes recall him well. Excellent keeper

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb4jotQTDkc

I loved watching this very old video.
England line up:-
1.Ron Springett
2.Jimmy Armfield
3.Mick McNeil
4.Bobby Robson
5.Peter Swan
6.Ron Flowers
7.Bryan Douglas
8.Jimmy Greaves
9.Gerry Hitchens
10.Johnny Haynes
11.Bobby Charlton

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes. Unfortunate for him to be competing with Gordon Banks for the England spot.

Yes, along with player called Layne I think, and Tony Kay
There were at least three Mansfield Town players involved, of whom Jimmy Gauld was the instigator and got the longest sentence of 4 years. I distinctly remember a dressing room scene from this film and thought how authentic it looked with 1960s MTFC shirts. On researching this edit to get names and facts correct, I've just discovered that my landlord in 1981 (Brian Phillips) was one of them! The Forest Green Rovers fan on NSC might be interested to know that Phillips managed the (then) tiny Rainworth Miners' Welfare to the 1982 FA Vase final, which FGR won.

Last edited:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
There was also at least one Mansfield Town player involved. I distinctly remember a dressing room scene from this film and thought how authentic it looked with 1960s MTFC shirts.

Yes there were a number of players involved

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here