Crawley
Crofts to slot into his place

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I actually think we would be ****ed.

Kayal and Stephens partnership in the middle is a large part of why we are doing so well. You can only play our formation of you have two fantastic midfielders. They really have to work hard and do their job well. They also have to use the ball wisely.

Ince is okay but doesn't do the same job, the old Crofts could probably replace Stephens but is he going to be as good after so long out? I doubt it.

So wrap him up on cotton wool in between games.

Fortunately he appears to be less injury prone than others so hopefully we can get away with it.

My greater concern is that other teams will start to do what Bruce did after 30 minutes and pack the midfield. That was largely why we struggled for that part of the game and why we had to change the formation. I can see that happening more and more as the season progresses.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I actually think we would be ****ed.

Kayal and Stephens partnership in the middle is a large part of why we are doing so well. You can only play our formation of you have two fantastic midfielders. They really have to work hard and do their job well. They also have to use the ball wisely.

Ince is okay but doesn't do the same job, the old Crofts could probably replace Stephens but is he going to be as good after so long out? I doubt it.

So wrap him up on cotton wool in between games.

Fortunately he appears to be less injury prone than others so hopefully we can get away with it.

My greater concern is that other teams will start to do what Bruce did after 30 minutes and pack the midfield. That was largely why we struggled for that part of the game and why we had to change the formation. I can see that happening more and more as the season progresses.

Good points well made. I felt we were very much second best for long periods of the second half but having said that we defended very well.
IMO we don't have a direct replacement for kayal and think that our set up/ formation would have to change back to a 4-5-1 if he was out.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If he regains his fitness and is back to his old standard. Other than that it would have to be a lone job.

Assuming you mean loan BG, that might take time. Time you don't have to get the right player in. 4/5 games might pass by in the time it takes to get a decent replacement.

This also begs the question of our current squad fighting for that position. Are they not good enough?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We also have JFC who regardless of the criticism he attracts on here is a useful player if he would only remember to pass forward instead of sideways/back. By the time a loan player settled to our style of play you would hope any injury or suspension would be past.
Crofts and JFC as stop-gap for me unless the absence of Kayal (or Stephens) is long term. Ince I would keep as the "third man" when we need to crowd the midfield

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He did for our winner against Fulham.

Indeed.
I think some of the criticism of JFC should rightly be aimed at managers/coaches who have deployed him more defensively.
I'm not sure that's his best role but going forward he has shown at league and international level that he has a good eye for a killer pass

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wonder how much Kayal is worth to the club now? He's bordering on priceless in my view. One hell of an asset.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
If anything JFK would fit in to a 4-4-2 better than last seasons system. It would allow him to get forward more like he did when he first broke through.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Crofts, if back to full fitness and his best. Bit of a big if, that, I know.

Otherwise, I think we'd have to revert to 4-2-3-1 (which wouldn't necessarily be a disaster with the players we've got, IMHO).

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but there is absolutely no way whatsoever that Crofts could 'slot in' to Kayal's position, they are completely different players, the only similarity is that they play for Brighton, to replace Kayal's energy and ability with a limited player like Crofts would be painful.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Didn't Crofts play a similar position at Norwich when they won Championship?. I think Hughton has it covered, just like every other position on pitch. With the exception of maybe 1 striker. Which we can get in on loan if required or wait till Jan...We are in good shape, make no mistake about it. This is no fluke, it's the result of an experienced managerial team at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here