Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Brighton boy Luer ended up at Hull - by the men who made it happen [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
The scout who told Hull City about Greg Luer reckons it was a “no-brainer” for a high-ranked professional club to sign the Sussex boy.
Dean White is just surprised Albion did not snap up the former Brighton Schools striker.
The 20-year-old former Hangleton Rangers hotshot could be part of the Tigers’ 18 which takes on the Seagulls at the Amex in the Championship’s match of the day.
Two goals in two games in the Capital One Cup and a bright pre-season have marked him out as a talent very much worth watching for Tigers boss Steve Bruce.
Which delights White, the former Albion coach who now works for Hull, and Burgess Hill manager Ian Chapman, the man who let him go midway through last season.
White put his old mate – and former Gillingham colleague – Bruce on the case after Chapman had tipped him off.
Luer followed Folkestone Invicta goal machine Johan Ter Horst to Humberside.
White told The Argus: “I was aware of Greg. We knew he had potential but he was a late developer physically.
“When I saw him as a footballer and as a lad I was impressed.
“The second part is important too because he was going to have to move away from home.
“He has got good feet, pace and obviously he scores goals.
“I couldn’t believe Brighton hadn’t taken him. It was a no-brainer for me.
“I phoned Steve and we did the deal quickly. It wasn’t rocket science.”
Chapman believes pace and that ability with both feet are assets – along with his attitude and strong character.
He said: “Greg just wanted to play football. He would go and play with his mates in the park and I told him ‘You can’t do that – we’ve got a game coming up’.
“He had a couple of stern moments from me early on.
“I thought he was being a bit lazy and not working hard enough but he didn’t sulk. He got on with it and showed me what he could do.

“He has got a good mentality and you need that.”At one point, Chapman wondered whether he was getting carried away by Luer’s talent – so he sought an opinion from his former Albion colleague Stuart Tuck, who now coaches at Burgess Hill.
He said: “I asked Tucky ‘Am I being blinded because he is one of our boys? Am I seeing it right?’ “I had to make sure I wasn’t kidding myself but Tucky agreed with me – that he had something different.”
Chapman is not critical of his old club’s decision not to sign Luer – although he would have loved to have seen him in blue and white stripes.
He said: “I know Barry Lloyd came to watch him and liked him.
“When people spoke to me I said he was worth looking at but we didn’t have a phone call until after offers came in from Oxford and Hull.
“That’s okay. It’s a game of opinions.
“I don’t even know what the fee was but we got money for him which was good for the club.
“The main thing for us was young lads here know we will not stand in their way.”
For White, the move made by Luer – who will be 21 in December – underlines the value of searching for gems in amateur football.
He said: “I brought players to Brighton from non-league like Alex Revell, who is still playing in the Championship, and Doug Loft, who is now at Gillingham.
“Sometimes I think it is better for players to come through non-league and get used to men’s football.
“Under-18s and under-21s football tends to be ‘we have the ball, you have the ball’ and there isn’t that physical contact.
“If a 17-year-old comes up against a big, hairy 29-year-old full-back who wants to kick lumps out of him, he learns pretty quickly!”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here