Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Building a polytunnel.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I am in the middle of building my own DIY polytunnel.
My question to anyone who has one or ever built one, is that can I get away with having just one door.:thumbsup:

IMG_20150911_142850.jpg

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
One door is fine, just make sure the plastic covering is thick enough to match your sturdy framework. Even then, don't expect the plastic to last more than a couple of seasons

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've built several polytunnels at work before.
The key word here is ventilation. You want air to pass through the tunnel ideally.
As you've put in two door frames there I'd just board up the bottom half of the one you don't want a door in and leave about a 2' gap at the top. This will keep out badgers and foxes etc whilst letting air and pollinators in and out.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
One door is fine, just make sure the plastic covering is thick enough to match your sturdy framework. Even then, don't expect the plastic to last more than a couple of seasons

I've built several polytunnels at work before.
The key word here is ventilation. You want air to pass through the tunnel ideally.
As you've put in two door frames there I'd just board up the bottom half of the one you don't want a door in and leave about a 2' gap at the top. This will keep out badgers and foxes etc whilst letting air and pollinators in and out.

Thanks guys, I will use your ideas, providing it stops bloody raining :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I forgot to mention that ideally you want your door to be a stable door type so you can keep the bottom half shut and the top half open when you're not about on hot days.
Judging by your efforts so far you'll have no trouble making one of those. Nice effort there so far btw :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

couldnt you stitch together supermarket bags, they tell us they last for decades. :glare:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I forgot to mention that ideally you want your door to be a stable door type so you can keep the bottom half shut and the top half open when you're not about on hot days.
Judging by your efforts so far you'll have no trouble making one of those. Nice effort there so far btw :thumbsup:

Cheers fella :thumbsup:
Good day alround, finished polytunnel and home in time for another Albion victory :albion2:

IMG_20150912_153940.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cheers fella :thumbsup:
Good day alround, finished polytunnel and home in time for another Albion victory :albion2:

View attachment 68440

Nice work!, particularly in the use of netting at the top 2' of the door :thumbsup:

Happy growing... should never have to suffer another blighted tomato again now for starters :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Nice work!, particularly in the use of netting at the top 2' of the door :thumbsup:

Happy growing... should never have to suffer another blighted tomato again now for starters :)

Update on first planting in polytunnel is good.
Toms, peas, broad beans, chillis, celery and celeriac all growing well and fast. :)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here