Assisted Dying

Do you support the Assisted Dying Bill

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So, finally MPs are discussing Assisted Dying again. What's your view - how would you vote if you were an MP ?

Personally I'd support the bill but I don't think only allowing assisted dying for those with six months to live goes far enough. If I get a horrible fatal condition then I want to die in my home at a time of my calling - not have to travel to Switzerland. We treat animals that have fatal conditions with more respect then we do humans.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Personally I'd support the bill but I don't think only allowing assisted dying for those with six months to live goes far enough.

See that is when you hunt around for a shit doctor who will shorten your life expectancy or failing that move to Scotland where it drops dramatically when you cross the border.... simples

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMHO there is no justification in prolonging the agony. Which is what it is for the sufferer. It's also deeply traumatic for family members to have to watch their loved one go through, powerless to offer any kind of legal assistance to make the suffering stop. You wouldn't put an injured animal through that level of pain. Why knowingly subject a human being to it?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
IMHO there is no justification in prolonging the agony. Which is what it is for the sufferer. It's also deeply traumatic for family members to have to watch their loved one go through, powerless to offer any kind of legal assistance to make the suffering stop. You wouldn't put an injured animal through that level of pain. Why subject a human to it?

Not everyone who dies of cancer dies in pain. Palliative care is very good for terminal patients. I've watched several of my family die of cancer, so it is something I have experienced.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not everyone who dies of cancer dies in pain. Palliative care is very good for terminal patients. I've watched several of my family die of cancer, so it is something I have experienced.

So presumably, someone not in pain wouldn't opt for assisted dying ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I have a close fiend who has watched first her husband, and then her mother, and then her father all succumb to cancer over the past ten years. It's destroyed her. It's just horrible. Who benefits from any of that? The person that dies in the end bears no resemblance whatsoever to the person you knew when they were alive.

Jul 7, 2003
So, finally MPs are discussing Assisted Dying again. What's your view - how would you vote if you were an MP ?

Personally I'd support the bill but I don't think only allowing assisted dying for those with six months to live goes far enough. If I get a horrible fatal condition then I want to die in my home at a time of my calling - not have to travel to Switzerland. We treat animals that have fatal conditions with more respect then we do humans.

I agree with this although I have said if I'm ever diagnosed with something that leaves me with no quality of life and being a burden to others the I'll be on the first flight to Zurich.

I have recently been reading Terry Pratchetts comments on this subject and his views are very well thought through.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So presumably, someone not in pain wouldn't opt for assisted dying ?

Depression can set in without pain. A person can feel very down one day and feel like they don't want to go on, but then brighten up the next day.

Sometimes the person with cancer can die of another cause before the cancer actually kills them. One I knew caught pneumonia whilst dying of leukaemia, and another dying of lung cancer, had a heart attack which was the final cause of death.

It's the thin edge of the wedge for me, as I think pressure could be brought to bear on the dying person. There was a healthy nurse just recently who went to Switzerland to commit suicide, because she didn't want to grow old. How long will it be before that is acceptable?

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
I've been debating this one since my first year of law school and I still can't make my mind up. I don't want people to suffer unnecessarily at the end of their lives, and I don't have any religious convictions that set me against the Bill, but on the other hand, I've seen the scale of incompetence and malpractice in the medical profession through the prism of negligence claims.

My instinct is that it's better to deal with this through a change in prosecution policy (i.e. not going after doctors or relatives who have acted compassionately), rather than set out a statutory right to assisted dying.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I always thought that there was a kind of unofficial euthanasia, when you get to a certain point there are some things that nurses might do to accelerate death.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I voted maybe, but only because I don't know enough about the details of the bill. I would want lots and lots of safeguards built in, but at the same time would trust those in authority not to allow it to become euthanasia or economically driven, as some people seem to fear. If someone is really suffering, what they have is terminal and they want to go.......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd vote for (assuming the bill is comprehensively worded without loopholes and I don't have time or inclination to read it). To me it's humane and a route I'd probably take myself if I needed to. However it needs to be stressed that it is an OPTION.

Just because you are allowed to arrange assisted dying doesn't mean some quack is going to pack you off to Switzerland to die the second you're diagnosed as terminal, just as supporting equal marriage rights isn't going to turn people gay.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's at times like this I wonder what Alan Partridge would say, given he's in favour of the death penalty - for treason and murder.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
MPs have rejected plans for a right to die in England and Wales in their first vote on the issue in almost 20 years.
In a free vote in the Commons, 118 MPs were in favour and 330 against plans to allow terminally ill adults to end their lives with medical supervision

Shame, another 20 years before the terminally ill can die with some dignity then.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have a list of people that I would like to assist with dying. Shall we all prepare a list ?

And before anyone jumps on this comment..............I am only joking.

I do actually agree with ''assisted dying'' but i do concede that there could be major issues with making it law

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
If someone doesn't want to suffer, why should it be the right of someone else to determine if they suffer or not?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
MPs have rejected plans for a right to die in England and Wales in their first vote on the issue in almost 20 years.
In a free vote in the Commons, 118 MPs were in favour and 330 against plans to allow terminally ill adults to end their lives with medical supervision

Shame, another 20 years before the terminally ill can die with some dignity then.

Do you think terminally ill patients don't die with dignity? I have witnessed it both in hospital and at home. It's not pleasant but there wasn't any loss of dignity.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

me too.....cancer is usually relatively quick.....unlike ms , mnd or parkinsons ......i'm for the bill.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think a lot of MPs feared a backlash if they voted for assisted dying.

I find it strange that they think it's ok to force someone to stay alive, effectively saying that it's not your life to do with as you see fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here