Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

De Gea signs 4 year deal

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
He may well do but the difference is Man Utd will now get a large fee, if hasn't signed, they would have got nothing. Makes me think he wants to stay as he would have got a massive signing on fee with no transfer fee.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Makes me think he wants to stay as he would have got a massive signing on fee with no transfer fee.

You'd be certified insane if you were Spanish, could play for the biggest team in the world in the glorious weather of your home country and instead wanted to remain in grey, rainy Manchester. Money won't ever be an issue for De Gea in his lifetime, no matter where he plays.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Whatever happens at least from his point of view he's got a massive payrise for as long as he does stay there..

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I imagine United said something to him along the lines of: 'Sign a new deal, play this season and have a good chance of being number 1 keeper for Spain at the Euros and you can leave in summer, or don't sign a new deal, rot in the reserves all season and most likely miss out on playing in the Euros at all'.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I couldn't care less that he has signed a new contract, or if he hadn't signed a new contract.

To be honest, I cant even tell you who has being playing in goal instead of him for Man Utd. I saw the headlines every day for about 3 weeks that he had been dropped but I didn't care enough to read any further because the same news seemed to headline every tabloid newspaper for about 3 weeks.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
He may well do but the difference is Man Utd will now get a large fee, if hasn't signed, they would have got nothing. Makes me think he wants to stay as he would have got a massive signing on fee with no transfer fee.

He'll be off next summer IF Real want him. Contracts are pretty meaningless, but as was said, United now get a fee. Presumably there is also now a set price to trigger a move.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it suits both to sign now, i dont think its a firm commitment (what contract is in football?). the storys i read about the ballsed up signing is that Real Madrid pulled out on the back of fan protests, on the basis of being ex-Athletico; alternativly (or in addition) they were trying to cut the price and bailed when they couldnt, hoping for a reduced/free next year. either way probably left a bad taste for him and maybe he wont be too bothered about going to Madrid anymore.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Makes sense all round.

De Gea gets another £50k a week for his final season at United and Real have to pay United a bit more when they eventually buy him....meaning De Gea gets an even bigger signing on fee when he joins Madrid.

Ultimately, Madrid can afford the inflated price which has probably already been agreed ahead of next summer.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'd imagine Man Utd have paid him an astronomical 'signing on fee' or there is an agreement that he will pocket a percentage of his next transfer fee.

He could easily have seen his contract out and signed for real Madrid next summer for a £10m signing on fee at least, so it makes no sense to sign this contract.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
He'll be off next summer IF Real want him. Contracts are pretty meaningless, but as was said, United now get a fee. Presumably there is also now a set price to trigger a move.

By all accounts I've read somewhere that the buy out clause is now £50million!!!!!

Who on earth would spend that much on a keeper???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd imagine Man Utd have paid him an astronomical 'signing on fee' or there is an agreement that he will pocket a percentage of his next transfer fee.

He could easily have seen his contract out and signed for real Madrid next summer for a £10m signing on fee at least, so it makes no sense to sign this contract.

The risk of that of course, is say he snaps his knee ligament in April and out for a season, he'd not have a contract with United or Real. He wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
By all accounts I've read somewhere that the buy out clause is now £50million!!!!!

Who on earth would spend that much on a keeper???

€50,000 I think.

Buffon went from Parma to Juventus for €52,000 and that was back in 2001, so this isn't particularly overblown in todays market, given that he IS one of the top 2 or 3 keepers in the world and is still only 24.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
€50,000 I think.

Buffon went from Parma to Juventus for €52,000 and that was back in 2001, so this isn't particularly overblown in todays market, given that he IS one of the top 2 or 3 keepers in the world and is still only 24.

Fifty thousand euros for a premier league keeper? We should make an offer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Didn't MUFC moan about Real Madrid/Sergio Ramos using their interest as a bid to get a new and improved contract with the Spanish club?

Oh...

I don't take half of the stuff that happens at that level of football at face value anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if this was all a fabricated story (including the 'mess up' on the faxed documents) as a way of getting column inches and further raising the profile of the club(s).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here