Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Too Much Fighting on the Dance Floor...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Great little article and programme by the BBC last night...
Would love to see this visually...

This is taken from the BBC

In the 1970s and 1980s rock concerts - like football matches - could be dangerous events to attend.
These days gig-going is a generally peaceable business. Dads go with lads, mums with their daughters, or vice versa - to quote Sly Stone, it's a family affair. But it wasn't always like that.
In the late 1970s and 80s rock concerts were almost still exclusively youth events - anyone over 30 would have been regarded as a "weirdo" - and violence was commonplace.
"There were riots all the time at gigs," recalls Peter Hook, former bass player with New Order and before that Joy Division. The worst he saw was at Bury Town Hall.
"There was a massive riot there and I got beaten up. I got beaten up all over the place," he ruefully adds.
Trouble at a Slits gig, sometime in the 1970sImage copyrightRex Features

Trouble breaks out at a Slits concert in the 1970s: "There were riots all the time at gigs"
1976: Fans at a gig featuring the Clash and the Jam rip up the seats at the Rainbow Theatre, North

1976: Fans at a gig featuring the Clash and the Jam rip up the seats at the Rainbow Theatre, North London
"It was tribal in all sorts of ways… it was very, very aggressive. It's hard to rationalise."
Too Much Fighting on The Dance Floor is broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on Thursday 10 September at 11:30

The era was defined by industrial strife and the politics of class and race, with the far-right National Front enjoying high levels of support, as Neville Staple of multi-racial ska band The Specials recalls.
"At the time it was 'no Blacks, no Pakis, and no Irish'. It was the National Front against us - black and white joining and being on stage together. We used to get a lot of conflict at our gigs."

As Britain's traditional industries declined throughout the 1970s and early 80s and the old certainties of life and politics started to splinter, so did the music scene - prompting an era of unprecedented tribalism in youth culture.
If punk's breakthrough in 1977 represented an acrimonious divorce with rock tradition it also heralded a seemingly never-ending wave of new and increasingly polarised music cults.

By the early 80s "psychobillies" soul boys, trendies, goths, skinheads, rockers, and mods all co-existed, often uneasily. They were followed by new romantics and electro kids. Different musical tastes were amplified by clothes and haircuts.
There were no computers, no internet or social media back then and fans lived for the weekly updates and style tips offered by the music press.
According to former NME journalist Paul Morley, that lent a peculiar intensity to the pop world: "The kind of music you liked was a matter of life and death. You really made a commitment to it. It wasn't just about taste or lifestyle, it was really about who you were."

New Romantics, 1980: "If someone wore the uniform of a different tribe there's no way you'd even consider going out with them"
And if you were a music fan, you were liable to make instant judgements about people, based not on what they were like or what they said but on their record collections. In 1982, Bernie Woods was an 18-year-old mod.
"Music defined who you were… You very quickly associated with people who had the same record collection as you. Everyone is wearing a kind of uniform and you're easily identifiable like that."
This even extended to potential boyfriends: "If someone wore the uniform of a different tribe there's no way you'd even consider going out with them."
This tribalism had a positive side, allowing music fans to choose from a wide palette of styles and ideas. For Clare Grogan, then a young gig-goer from Glasgow, it was an empowering time, giving her the confidence to form her own band Altered Images.
"It was coming out of that Charlie's Angels era... There was a notion of what was attractive or interesting and suddenly it was OK to not look a certain way. It was really liberating"

But if it was a time of liberation it could also be dangerous - sometimes absurdly so.
"I remember going to a Secret Affair show at the Rainbow," says Morley. "I was going as a reviewer so I wasn't part of the tribe that had gone - they were the post-Paul Weller mods. I left early and was slashed by a gang of skinheads with a Stanley knife who assumed I was a mod. Rather futilely as I fell to the floor with my lip bleeding I said, 'I'm not a mod, I'm post -punk!'"
Some of the fighting at gigs in the 80s spilled over from football rivalries where trouble on the terraces was commonplace. And Peter Hooton, lead singer with Liverpool band The Farm, argues that violence was generally more accepted in British culture.
"The security wasn't great. There was no real CCTV. It had just been introduced in football grounds, probably not in concert halls and definitely not in pubs so there was an acceptance that you would see on a night out casual violence, sometimes extreme violence. It was almost par for the course."

The development of more professional security arrangements contributed to an eventual decline in violence at gigs, but the real turning point came in the late 80s when a new scene emerged combining Chicago House music with the drug ecstasy. Rave culture saw the nation's youth forgetting its differences and dancing together in "the second summer of love".
Peter Hooton went to one of the first raves. "We couldn't believe what was going on. Everybody was happy... hugging each other… getting on famously. There wasn't a hint of any trouble. It was like a 'Saul on the road to Damascus' experience. It was euphoric."

And since then? Well, there's no doubt about it - going to a gig now is generally much safer than it used to be.
As Peter Hook says: "In [late 1970s and 80s] England the audience was predominantly male. In America it was 50/50 male and female and there was very little trouble there. Nowadays, the audience includes a lot of older people. Young and older people. I regularly go to concerts with my children sharing the music."
And there's a lot to be said for the new world of family-oriented gig going. The violence of the late 70s and 80s should not be romanticised. People were hurt, sometimes seriously, falling victim to a tribalism that spiralled out of control.
Yet there's also a sense that some of the renegade excitement and adrenaline of the music scene has been lost too. And we can reflect now on an often troubled era that, paradoxically, left us with an outstanding musical legacy.

Those who can remember this is what it was like, and difficult to explain to the youngsters today about tribes and the level of violence at nearly every gig, the fear the ran through you was exciting to be honest...

This catches it a bit... around 2.20mins

[yt]IfPxB0mLXX8[/yt]

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
We had a few issues with NF with our soundsystem in the late 70s, early 80s. The two incident I remember most was first, at the old resource center in Queens Road, where a posse of the wankers were waiting outside after a dance. Memorable as one of our sound members grabbed a pole of scaffolding, and swung it, taking out 2 of them with one swipe.
The second was in a hotel, the name of which escapes me. At the end of a dance, we were suddenly aware that there were six of us left, including two women, and 15 men who suddenly started singing 'aint no black in the Union Jack'. We grabbed our weapons from our tool bag, and they decided against anything with us. Left the ballroom, and attacked the Indian staff at the reception.

Other than that, West Street could be a fecking nightmare on a Saturday night. Saw possibly the biggest club fight ive ever seen in Sherries. Seemed like everbody was fighting that night. All the bouncers were out of it fairly early on. People with chairs smashing the bar optics, and people. Left the place thinking it was a bit OTT, saw massive brawl outside the Top Rank, and several skirmishes between there and home. Think it may have been a full moon that night.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pfui! What rubbish. Yes it was dangerous back then, but not normally at the actual gig. Between 74 and 82 I went to close to 1000 gig, and there was 'trouble' at maybe 5 (I mean a actual punch up); The Ruts at Brighton poly, Reading festival 74 (people chucking glass bottles), The Lurkers at the Nashville in Fulham 1978 (the only time I was caught up in a bit of handbags myself), The Stranglers at Brighton Top Rank 77, and The Jam at the Embassy 77 springing to mind.

But it was mayhem outside on occasions. As a 'punk' in the late 70s I was a target for 'teds'. I was hit walking down Wardour street in Soho by a ted (from behind, then he ran away), and in the middle of a Saturday afternoon near Great Portland street station by a skinhead, while crossing Euston Road (there were two of them; one said 'what do you think of the British Movement, pal? while the other hit me quite hard from behind on the back of the head. Brave boys. Then they ran away.) My brother had his leather jacket mugged off him outside a Killing Joke gig by a gang of skin heads. I was chased by a group of Teds from Portslade station one night in 76. I managed to avoid anything serious (others didn't) but you had to keep your eyes open all the time.

When I moved to Vancouver in 82, I was amazed to find a mixed scene without any violence at all. It was quite liberating, and it made me realise how much crap we put up with in the UK. I have a sense that things have imporoved here quite a bit.

But as I said, the gigs themselves back in the late 70s were generally safe. Shame if this interesting story has been undermined by a touch of hyperbole . . . .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But as I said, the gigs themselves back in the late 70s were generally safe. Shame if this interesting story has been undermined by a touch of hyperbole . . . .

There was a massive barney at The Clash in Crawley: the support act was forced off the stage and several people in the audience were hurt - bloke in front of me got absolutely battered - it was like a football match. You mention the Jam at the Embassy but I've also seen fights at Sham 69 (twice) and the Specials - and a few minor skirmishes. Attila has stories of lots of trouble at his gigs - including getting his mandolin smashed. I don't think the article exaggerates too much - it wasn't all-out war but I think it was more prevalent than you indicate.

I'm not sure about the bit about not mixing with other tribes though. In 1977, I was a punk, in full gear. My girlfriend was a hippy, with afghan coats, long flowing dresses, loads of beads and always smelling of patchouli or magnolia. That didn't strike me as weird at all

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Plenty of punks started to turn up at reggae parties/clubs back in those days, probably because a few of the punk bands covered reggae songs.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
There was a massive barney at The Clash in Crawley: the support act was forced off the stage and several people in the audience were hurt - bloke in front of me got absolutely battered - it was like a football match. You mention the Jam at the Embassy but I've also seen fights at Sham 69 (twice) and the Specials - and a few minor skirmishes. Attila has stories of lots of trouble at his gigs - including getting his mandolin smashed. I don't think the article exaggerates too much - it wasn't all-out war but I think it was more prevalent than you indicate.

I'm not sure about the bit about not mixing with other tribes though. In 1977, I was a punk, in full gear. My girlfriend was a hippy, with afghan coats, long flowing dresses, loads of beads and always smelling of patchouli or magnolia. That didn't strike me as weird at all

Suicide

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You know what, actually, I was wrong with what I wrote. Thinking about it . . . . I said there was hardly any trouble at the gigs themselves, and then wrote out a list :ffsparr: I guess the streets were so dangerous that the gigs themselves semed like paradise :lolol:

One thing I have never quite understood is that I used to go to the resources centre (to see the Brighton bands, plus a few others like Poison Ivy) quite a lot, and I never ever came across Attila. It must have been before he started gigging (1980).The resources centre was burned down by NF so I recall, so it wasn't around long. JB just posted me the autobiog, and I'll look forward to starting that on Sunday. :) I must ask him why he sneers at Billy Bragg sometime . . . .

I also stopped going to 'pure' punk gigs a bit earlier (78ish) when it started going a bit 'oi' (Danny Baker's thing at the time). I was at the Roxy to see Sham 69 in 77, and got half a can of lager in the chops for my troubles, and tended to steer clear of what was fast becoming a pastiche. The mosh pits in 77 looked like people fighting, but we weren't - lots of throwing people around, and that, but it was actually a form of dancing. Ahem. It was when the newbies came along in 78 that things got messy (my trouble at the Lurkers gig was because someone took offence to being bumped into, and punches were then exchanged, but it wasn't a real fight as such). By and large after 77 I drifted towards the more arty bands (stilly punky but far away from oi) such as Wire, Magazine (saw their third ever gig), the Soft Boys etc. There was never any trouble at those sort of gigs.

The 'not mixing' thing is, like everything else, a rule that was often broken. John Lydon, dressed in full teddy boy gear, allegedly paid a visit to the legendary ted pub in Portslade (I forget its name) in 76. Here and Now (hippies) made a record with Mark Perry (protopunk) as of course you'd know. I used to go down the Hungry Years in 77 when I had cropped and dyed hair, eye liner and drainpipes. No bother. In fact the DJ there used to play Anarchy in the UK for us (until one night he decided enough was enough and smashed it - worth a fortune too - it was an original). Still, I was a massive music snob in those days, and didn't listen to prog rock any more after 76 (never did till again I discovered Osric Tentacles in the 90s, and have now replenished my CD collection with Wishbone Ash, ELP, Thin Lizzy etc, and listen to anything that takes my fancy, tribalism now completely dead as far as I can tell).

Anyway, a great nostalgia trip on a Friday morning. Cheers :bigwave:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One thing I have never quite understood is that I used to go to the resources centre (to see the Brighton bands, plus a few others like Poison Ivy) quite a lot, and I never ever came across Attila. It must have been before he started gigging (1980).

Attila was in a band called The Brighton Riot Squad with, ahem, me (and Tony Towner's Fridge, also of this parish). And it was Poison Girls.

The 'not mixing' thing is, like everything else, a rule that was often broken. John Lydon, dressed in full teddy boy gear, allegedly paid a visit to the legendary ted pub in Portslade (I forget its name) in 76. Here and Now (hippies) made a record with Mark Perry (protopunk) as of course you'd know. I used to go down the Hungry Years in 77 when I had cropped and dyed hair, eye liner and drainpipes. No bother. In fact the DJ there used to play Anarchy in the UK for us (until one night he decided enough was enough and smashed it - worth a fortune too - it was an original).

I went to the Hungry Years occasionally too - that hippie girlfriend was a regular there - and took me along a few times. It wasn't always my sort of music but it was a great place, really friendly. There was far more mixing among the different 'tribes' going on than that article indicates. Perhaps it was different elsewhere but Brighton punks, teds, hippies, soul boys etc mixed quite a lot - hell, the aforementioned Brighton Riot Squad had a ted drummer

Nearly 40 years ago now, where has that time gone? Thanks for bring back some good memories

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
One thing I have never quite understood is that I used to go to the resources centre (to see the Brighton bands, plus a few others like Poison Ivy) quite a lot, and I never ever came across Attila. It must have been before he started gigging (1980).The resources centre was burned down by NF so I recall, so it wasn't around long. JB just posted me the autobiog, and I'll look forward to starting that on Sunday. :) I must ask him why he sneers at Billy Bragg sometime . . . .

Burned down the week after the incident with us. Revenge apparently. The fact that the place was widely used by all sorts of people didnt really cross their minds.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Pfui! What rubbish. Yes it was dangerous back then, but not normally at the actual gig. Between 74 and 82 I went to close to 1000 gig, and there was 'trouble' at maybe 5 (I mean a actual punch up); The Ruts at Brighton poly, Reading festival 74 (people chucking glass bottles), The Lurkers at the Nashville in Fulham 1978 (the only time I was caught up in a bit of handbags myself), The Stranglers at Brighton Top Rank 77, and The Jam at the Embassy 77 springing to mind.

But it was mayhem outside on occasions. As a 'punk' in the late 70s I was a target for 'teds'. I was hit walking down Wardour street in Soho by a ted (from behind, then he ran away), and in the middle of a Saturday afternoon near Great Portland street station by a skinhead, while crossing Euston Road (there were two of them; one said 'what do you think of the British Movement, pal? while the other hit me quite hard from behind on the back of the head. Brave boys. Then they ran away.) My brother had his leather jacket mugged off him outside a Killing Joke gig by a gang of skin heads. I was chased by a group of Teds from Portslade station one night in 76. I managed to avoid anything serious (others didn't) but you had to keep your eyes open all the time.

When I moved to Vancouver in 82, I was amazed to find a mixed scene without any violence at all. It was quite liberating, and it made me realise how much crap we put up with in the UK. I have a sense that things have imporoved here quite a bit.

Same here. Massive overstatement going on here. He's right, it would be hard for the youth of today to understand, because it didn't happen.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
There was a massive barney at The Clash in Crawley: the support act was forced off the stage and several people in the audience were hurt - bloke in front of me got absolutely battered - it was like a football match. You mention the Jam at the Embassy but I've also seen fights at Sham 69 (twice) and the Specials - and a few minor skirmishes. [I]Attila has stories of lots of trouble at his gigs [/I]- including getting his mandolin smashed. I don't think the article exaggerates too much - it wasn't all-out war but I think it was more prevalent than you indicate.

people fighting each other to get to the exits ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Same here. Massive overstatement going on here. He's right, it would be hard for the youth of today to understand, because it didn't happen.

I think it all depends where you actually saw gigs, London and other big cities there were fights on regular basis. I saw fights at gigs in numerous towns from Bolton, Wigan, Manchester, Liverpool down to London ..

Also you take in to account you may not get the same vibe or clientele at a Leo Sayer concert in Shoreham as a Buisness concert in Deptford or the Meteors in Glasgow.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Went to that one. Suicide just about lived up to their name that night. Their music could be pretty, er, challenging at the best of times, but to stand there and keep on playing for WAY longer than was good for their personal health and safety in the face a baying mob who only wanted them to f*ck off ASAP so they could see The Clash took some balls.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I wouldn't say there was too much violence at gigs in the early punk years , except for maybe Sham 69 at the New Regent and the Clash in Crawley. Got chased by Teds a few times in the street.It was the 80's when it really kicked off with the advent of Oi and the second wave of punk, or as Charlie Harper called it, the heavy brigade. The Top Rank was a particular battle ground . UK Subs was probably the worst violence I saw in there. Literally the whole gig. Small gangs of skinheads attacking lone punks, everytime a new song started. It ended with Nicky Garret cracking open a skinhead's skull with his mic stand and jumping into the melee. The police came in , removed all the skins and the Subs played 8 encores....Other memorable scraps in the Top Rank, Stray Cats, Specials , Beat , Chelsea,Selector ,Cockney Rejects (although that was mostly in West Street)...and The Guana Batz (supporting Gary Glitter)......and then the smaller gigs , Teen Beats from Hastings with their coach load of Hasting skinheads and the legendary battle of the Pavillion Theartre with Exploited and The UK Subs. Skins trying to storm the stage numerous times during both sets and the roadies fighting them off. At one stage a fire extinguisher was thrown from the stage into the audience. .......Wasn't just skins ...GBH and Discharge at the Lyceum was pretty hairy as well.And that long walk back along Charing Cross Road was a turtle header for sure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here