Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever applauded an opposition goal against the Albion?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just watched that Rohan Ince goal against Swindon last year again, & it was the sort of goal that had even some of the home fans applauding.

So I was wondering if anyone had ever found themselves applauding an opposition goal against the Albion, home or away? I mean due to the sheer brilliance or flair of the goal rather than its significance (ie a goal that meant Palace got relegated or whatever...I wish). One of those "Arse, they scored...but you have to give the guy some credit" moments.

I'm pretty sure I have done once, probably at the Goldstone, but I can't remember anything about it. Was Warren Aspinall's mazy run for Carlisle at the Goldstone? I might be imagining that.

Or are you the sort that can never, ever look beyond your blue & white striped existence & give the opposition the slightest credit (that's perfectly fine too)? :)

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I don't recall applauding an opposition goal but the only time I've ever applauded the opposition team off the pitch was at the Amex when we beat Yeovil on the last home game under Garcia, touching stuff.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Gazza hit a free kick one down the South Stand end in Moseley's Testimonial had me acting like a demented seal . Most of the North even applauded.

In competitive games, cannot recall one as I might usually be looking for the guilty party.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For the fine quality of strike, the sheer unstoppable power, I had to take my hat off and applaud Dean Hammond's goal against us for Blackpool.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Yes. I remember a game at Withers, may have been Notts County, when they scored from a super volley. I certainly applauded, as did many others around me, in fact Pasty sitting next to me got to his feet and clapped if I remember correctly.

I nearly said that but I recall it as a stand out goal rather than one I clapped. Believe it was in the 89th minute to make it 2-2 in our Div 2 winning season.

I was working in Kings House at the time and remember leaving work on Friday and Notts were training opposite on Hove lawns!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, never a goal. But I stood and clapped Murray when he was subbed off here last season (I think it was last seaon - all a blur these days). I probably wouldn't have bothered but I don't like seeing one of our ex players booed, especially when one who has always behaved with dignity. Pleasingly I was not alone in my stance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't remember ever doing this, not even when I was in amongst Spurs fans when Robbie Keane scored that cracker against us at White Hart Lane in the FA Cup in 2005.

My cover had already been blown by that point, when Richard Carpenter scored.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Robbie Williams free kick for the town against you soft southern shandy drinking blouse wearing poofs at withdean. Absolutely brilliant 35 yarder!

Mick mills goal for Ipswich at the goldstone. Brilliant long range shot that nearly took the net off in front of the north stand.

On a similar vein, anyone remember Charlie George's shot for arsenal that scraped the cross bar and disappeared into the north stand like an Exocet missile....seeing the fans scatter trying to get out of the way.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I remember John Sheriden getting applauded by much of the crowd when being substituted when Sheff Wednesday won 4-0 at the Goldstone. He absolutely ran the game that night..

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
Chris Eagles' goal for Watford at the Withdean. A fantastic strike from a couple of yards short of the half-way line. Very generously applauded by many Brighton fans.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, Derby and Watford spring to mind

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I remember watching Lee Trundle at the Racecourse and thinking he is head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch and he will no doubt score...........and he did but my hands didn't hit, just admiration.

Danny Wallace's goal against us in the coca cola cup had the north stand clapping back in the day. Stunning strike it was.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Loads of times. I have always applauded good play from the opposition.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Still remember one evening, standing in the North Stand, singing "you'll never beat John Keeley , you'll never beat John Keeley" when all of a sudden a shot from a full 30 yards sails in. Oldham if I remember correctly. Could only stand there and clap it.

Keeley was inspired that night. That and a lazer guided missile were the only two of things that could of beaten him that night.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Chris Eagles' goal for Watford at the Withdean. A fantastic strike from a couple of yards short of the half-way line. Very generously applauded by many Brighton fans.

Got my applause and in my view the best ever goal scored at Withdean in a league game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here