Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any mechanics on here?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I have a V reg Peugeot 206 and recently, when the engine is turned off, the rev counter needle sticks at 3,000 rpm. When the engine is turned on, the needle doesn't return to 0 so instead of reading 4,500 rpm it goes past the redline. Whilst it isn't an issue for me too much I'm hoping to offload the car soon and no doubt any new buyer would be concerned by it.

Any ideas?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Yes, as I explained, I'm hoping to sell the car soon as I'm getting a company car. A bit hopeful I know but I'm sure I'll find a taker somewhere!

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Sounds like a faulty rev counter, of which you'd need to look up how much one was!

Buyers don't like problems on cars, and there's probably enough around to find one without the problem unless your willing to drop the price

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
An old french car with an electrical problem..........

Sorry bud, but it could be literally anything and almost certainly something that will be uneconomical to fix.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Cheers mate. Was hoping to avoid having to replace it but looks like it may be the only option.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
likely to be the engine sensor or the rev counter. Sensor's are fairly cheap on ebay i beleive, but no gaurantee which it is. Also, its French, aka crap wiring!

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Most likely be the speed sensor on top of the gearbox, also what condition is the battery in?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Does anyone actually take any notice of their Rev counter?

I never take any notice of the Rev counter on my van, apart from counting revs what's it's job?. :shrug:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Notoriously unreliable when they get older. I have fitted numerous complete instrument clusters,they come as a complete unit,take 2 minutes to change and automatically adjust to the correct elapsed mileage the vehicle has covered. Apparently, there is a firm near Waterlooville who do a "while you wait repair if you remove the unit. I have known the needle on the rev counter bend away from the dial due to prolonged exposure to hot sun. Does it drop back to zero/rest if you thump the top of the dash?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

I never take any notice of the Rev counter on my van, apart from counting revs what's it's job?. :shrug:

Yes i do, probably take more notice of it that the speedo. It lets you know how much power you have at you disposal and how hard the engine is working.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Notoriously unreliable when they get older. I have fitted numerous complete instrument clusters,they come as a complete unit,take 2 minutes to change and automatically adjust to the correct elapsed mileage the vehicle has covered. Apparently, there is a firm near Waterlooville who do a "while you wait repair if you remove the unit. I have known the needle on the rev counter bend away from the dial due to prolonged exposure to hot sun. Does it drop back to zero/rest if you thump the top of the dash?
Yeah I tried tapping the perspex and thumping the dash and it doesn't move a millimetre. Think maybe it's time to check the scrap prices........

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

I don't normally but when you do catch sight of it moving past the redline, you take a bit more notice.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
My mother is deaf, and so the rev counter tells her when she is in the wrong gear! And why people are staring at her with the engine screaming.

Seriously, just google your symptoms. There is a multitiude of technical forums out there, such as Honest John, etc and there is bound to be a Peugeot users specific forum.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have a V reg Peugeot 206 and recently, when the engine is turned off, the rev counter needle sticks at 3,000 rpm. When the engine is turned on, the needle doesn't return to 0 so instead of reading 4,500 rpm it goes past the redline. Whilst it isn't an issue for me too much I'm hoping to offload the car soon and no doubt any new buyer would be concerned by it.

Any ideas?

It's French, consider it a selling point that it still runs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here