Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ten most crowded trains.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They seem to have missed the train I'm currently sat on to London Bridge. Full by Hove, yet still now people get on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The train that's most crowded is one that leaves at 4.22 in the morning? That looks like a train in need of extra carriages

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The train that's most crowded is one that leaves at 4.22 in the morning? That looks like a train in need of extra carriages

It's crowded far later on the journey when it approaches Manchester during the peak morning commuting time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They should look at any train heading south from London when there are problems on the line and cancellations. i suspect that all regular commuters have been on trains where there was no need to hang onto anything due to being squashed between others standing, and people have missed their stop as they couldn't get to the door.
The only surprise when this occurs is that unlike Japan the platform staff don't push more people on.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The only surprise when this occurs is that unlike Japan the platform staff don't push more people on.

My Mrs was most unimpressed on our last visit to the Amex, when the stewards stopped people from getting on the train saying that it was "full", even though we could quite clearly see people on the train with enough room to READ A NEWSPAPER, LOOK AT THEIR iPHONE and even BREATHE.

"Full" my arse.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Anyone else think the ride on the London-Brighton line has got noticeably more bumpy this year ???

Very much so, especially on Southern trains and when compared with the odd journey the Gatwick Express make down to Brighton

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No surprise to see the 07.24 there. I used to dread that train when I was working at Reigate.

I had an ostensibly simple commute. 07.00 from Portslade to Brighton, 7.14 from Brighton to Gatwick, 7.58 from Gatwick to Reigate.

If 7.00 was late I missed the 7.14 and had to get the 7.24 at Brighton. It was often late.
If the 7,14 was cancelled or delayed more than 10 minutes I had to get the 7.24 at Brighton. It was often cancelled or delayed.
If the 7.58 was cancelled or delayed I had to pick the 7,24 up at Gatwick where it was the 8.01 to Redhill. It was very often cancelled or delayed.

The 7,24 itself would be packed like a Falmer to Brighton special on matchday by Haywards Heath. It then stopped at Three Bridges to pick up the Crawley rush hour and at Gatwick where it had to fit in people with large suitcases and the entire passenger compliment from the cancelled 7.58.

:rant:

****ing train. Just typing this has made me want to throw things at the screen.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No surprise to see the 07.24 there. I used to dread that train when I was working at Reigate.

I had an ostensibly simple commute. 07.00 from Portslade to Brighton, 7.14 from Brighton to Gatwick, 7.58 from Gatwick to Reigate.

If 7.00 was late I missed the 7.14 and had to get the 7.24 at Brighton. It was often late.
If the 7,14 was cancelled or delayed more than 10 minutes I had to get the 7.24 at Brighton. It was often cancelled or delayed.
If the 7.58 was cancelled or delayed I had to pick the 7,24 up at Gatwick where it was the 8.01 to Redhill. It was very often cancelled or delayed.

The 7,24 itself would be packed like a Falmer to Brighton special on matchday by Haywards Heath. It then stopped at Three Bridges to pick up the Crawley rush hour and at Gatwick where it had to fit in people with large suitcases and the entire passenger compliment from the cancelled 7.58.

:rant:

****ing train. Just typing this has made me want to throw things at the screen.

I usually get the 6.04am to London Bridge. Always get a seat, usually with a TABLE so I have room for my PAPER, IPAD, PHONE, COFFEE and BREAKFAST. The aircon always ensures a pleasant ambient temperature, and it's quiet enough to have a KIP if I want one (unless Mr Sniffy or Mr Apple Earphones are there or Mr Jackhammers for For Fingers is on his laptop pounding away). People only usually stand from East Croydon - and we know what a lot of them are so f*** 'em :cool:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I usually get the 6.04am to London Bridge. Always get a seat, usually with a TABLE so I have room for my PAPER, IPAD, PHONE, COFFEE and BREAKFAST. The aircon always ensures a pleasant ambient temperature, and it's quiet enough to have a KIP if I want one (unless Mr Sniffy or Mr Apple Earphones are there or Mr Jackhammers for For Fingers is on his laptop pounding away). People only usually stand from East Croydon - and we know what a lot of them are so f*** 'em :cool:

My current project has seen a much more agreeable commute. Bed to desk via the coffee machine in about five minutes. Good for fitting in a run too :)

Only downside is I may or may not be typing this in my pants.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My current project has seen a much more agreeable commute. Bed to desk via the coffee machine in about five minutes. Good for fitting in a run too :)

Only downside is I may or may not be typing this in my pants.

Spooky....I work from home a couple days a week (and did 10m this morning incidentally). I'm not going to post a picture but I understand your sentiments ENTIRELY :D
There is something deeply satisfying about being on a call with someone very senior when not exactly dressed appropriately :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here