Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best pub in Sussex

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As an extension to the best pub in Brighton thread, what about the pubs across the county, outside of Brighton?

Not living in the area any more, in is a long while since I've visited pubs in Sussex. But having grown up on the Weald I have fond memories of some great pubs in the likes of Fletching, Blackboys, Piltdown, Nutley - plus plenty of other places I will have forgotten.

Blue Ship The Haven.jpg

Blue Ship, The Haven (nr Rudgwick)

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
The Blue Ship at The Haven , The Stag at Balls Cross, Three Moles at Selham and The Noahs Ark at Lurgashall were all Pubs we used to visit on a Sunday Night tour. Not sure what there like now but back in the day they were top Pubs.

Has to be The Griffin at Fletching for me.

Do an excellent barbecue on Summer weekends, served out in a garden with absolutely stunning views.

View attachment 68375
Is
Is that the one with the Piers Morgan connection or is it the other (Red Lion)?

Cricketers at Berwick and, for those at the east end of the County, The Queens Head at Icklesham. Far too long since I visited either so I hope they are still up to standard.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shouldn't this be split into East and West?

Then we can have a grand final.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is
Is that the one with the Piers Morgan connection or is it the other (Red Lion)?

Not sure if Piers Morgan has a connection with Fletching pubs but he's often talked about his love of the Royal Oak in Newick where he was brought up.
Its a lovely village pub. I often go in there for a pint of Harvey's before picking up a takeaway from the (equally fine but a bit pricey) Newick Tandoori.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...e-affair-British-pub-entered-new-chapter.html

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Not sure if Piers Morgan has a connection with Fletching pubs but he's often talked about his love of the Royal Oak in Newick where he was brought up.
Its a lovely village pub. I often go in there for a pint of Harvey's before picking up a takeaway from the (equally fine but a bit pricey) Newick Tandoori.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...e-affair-British-pub-entered-new-chapter.html
Your link states that his mum and dad ran the griffin at fletching from when he was 5 to 13, id call that a connection !! :lolol:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
well let's see,in no particular order

scoring gear
having a scrap
shant
pulling crumpet
barmaid's tits
close prox to taxi rank
Stranglers on the jukebox

ah! that would be the Ship in Newhaven :lol:

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
On the West side:
Duke of Cumberland Arms at Henley (north of Midhurst)
Three Horseshoes at Elsted
Victoria Inn at West Marden
Horse and Groom at East Ashling
Sportsman at Amberley (Cross Gate)
Black Horse at Byworth
For town ones, the Brooksteed Alehouse and the Wandering Goose, both in Worthing

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
well let's see,in no particular order

scoring gear
having a scrap
shant
pulling crumpet
barmaid's tits
close prox to taxi rank
Stranglers on the jukebox

ah! that would be the Ship in Newhaven :lol:

You forgot to mention a nearby kebab shop. :)

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The Lamb in Lambs Green - open fires, uneven floors, dogs, horses, sofas, Dark Star, good food and the decor looks like it has evolved over the last 300 years. Very good.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
On the West side:
Duke of Cumberland Arms at Henley (north of Midhurst)
Three Horseshoes at Elsted
Victoria Inn at West Marden
Horse and Groom at East Ashling
Sportsman at Amberley (Cross Gate)
Black Horse at Byworth
For town ones, the Brooksteed Alehouse and the Wandering Goose, both in Worthing

Not sure that the Duke of Cumberland isn't a Restaurant these days.

Three Horseshoes, Sportsman and Black Horse all favourites of mine but I would say the Five Bells at West Chiltington needs a mention as well.

Third Generation Landlord of a Free House serving a marvellous variety of Beers, there are always five real ales on and that always includes a Mild.

No TV, no Music, dogs and walkers welcome but mobiles banned. My Local. :drink: :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here