Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Car Park C on Saturday

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is there really room for all the uni parkers to use Bridge on Saturday (and for Cardiff)? I'm assuming it will be chaos and might use the train instead.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It's an odd one, and I doubt it!

Yep train is definitely the best option.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I got a note at the last game saying the uni disabled car park was closed but when I queried it with the club via Insider on here, email, and a tweet to the Transport Manager I was told it's open as usual!
That may of course only be for disabled parking but it's worth checking

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
My email from the club says disabled parking only at the uni for Hull and Cardiff. All other parking in the Uni inc 1901 is at Bridge for both of these games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is there capacity for all those 500? cars added to all usual Bridge cars?
It seems like a fair few use The Bridge on day passes.

Assuming Curious is right, all the club has to do is not sell individual tickets for this Saturday and it's instantly freed up a decent amount of space.

I got a note at the last game saying the uni disabled car park was closed but when I queried it with the club via Insider on here, email, and a tweet to the Transport Manager I was told it's open as usual!
That may of course only be for disabled parking but it's worth checking

The minibus shuttle between the car park next to the Sussex University Sports Centre and the Stadium Coach Park will definitely be running as usual.

The minibus shuttle between the car park next to the Sussex University Sports Centre and the Stadium Coach Park will definitely be running as usual.

Unfortunately, some disabled supporters who meet the Equality Act's definition of such but not the club's more restrictive disability "checklist" and would normally use the minibus this weekend will be unable to do so or attend the game at all.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Unfortunately, some disabled supporters who meet the Equality Act's definition of such but not the club's more restrictive disability "checklist" and would normally use the minibus this weekend will be unable to do so or attend the game at all.

It's a real issue isn't it. My wife can walk 100 yards slowly and with the help of the minibus from the car park loves not having to use her wheelchair when we come to the Amex. Her words "being free from the chair is like being a real person again." Amen to that I say, especially as my own health doesn't allow me to push a wheelchair too far anymore.
However, the disabled seating areas only allow for a disabled person who is accompanied to be in a wheelchair. They don't get a seat. It's not unfair nor is it an issue I would want to argue. What the club offer is as good as almost all and much better than many. But it is indicative of very narrow definitions/perspectives of disability in society generally. There is a great deal of educating to do

It's a real issue isn't it. My wife can walk 100 yards slowly and with the help of the minibus from the car park loves not having to use her wheelchair when we come to the Amex. Her words "being free from the chair is like being a real person again." Amen to that I say, especially as my own health doesn't allow me to push a wheelchair too far anymore.
However, the disabled seating areas only allow for a disabled person who is accompanied to be in a wheelchair. They don't get a seat. It's not unfair nor is it an issue I would want to argue. What the club offer is as good as almost all and much better than many. But it is indicative of very narrow definitions/perspectives of disability in society generally. There is a great deal of educating to do

It certainly is and I fully agree with you about the facilities available for disabled spectators within the Amex in comparison with other football clubs.
I've had a permit for UoS since the Amex opened supplemented, until this season, by a pass that enabled me to use the car park from where the minibus runs to the stadium. Whilst I haven't always had to use the shuttle, it has been a invaluable at times, now more frequent, when exhaustion from the chemo/radiotherapy, anaemia etc has meant I physically couldn't do the walk from CP1,2 or 3.
Well, there's no such passes this season and I have a letter from the Head of Customer Services on this still to reply to. Some of the "thoughtful" suggestions from her include: "Get a P&R Bus from Mithras House, they're fully equipped for disabled people", "Can you get somebody to drop you off at the stadium early and then pick you up", "Have you considered moving seats?" (quite how this will help me get to the stadium I don't know).

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
It certainly is and I fully agree with you about the facilities available for disabled spectators within the Amex in comparison with other football clubs.
I've had a permit for UoS since the Amex opened supplemented, until this season, by a pass that enabled me to use the car park from where the minibus runs to the stadium. Whilst I haven't always had to use the shuttle, it has been a invaluable at times, now more frequent, when exhaustion from the chemo/radiotherapy, anaemia etc has meant I physically couldn't do the walk from CP1,2 or 3.
Well, there's no such passes this season and I have a letter from the Head of Customer Services on this still to reply to. Some of the "thoughtful" suggestions from her include: "Get a P&R Bus from Mithras House, they're fully equipped for disabled people", "Can you get somebody to drop you off at the stadium early and then pick you up", "Have you considered moving seats?" (quite how this will help me get to the stadium I don't know).

That is shocking! Have you been given a reason why you cN no longer have a pass. Surely that is exactly the scenario for CP5?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Parking at the Uni isn't cheap. Half price for a season ticket on production of your blue badge so comes to a fiver or so a game which has to be paid up front and of course not everyone can do that. But it's a lifeline so well worth it. The sheer physicality and the claustrophobia of using P&R makes them unusable for my wife (we did try) so without the disabled parking service we would have to give up on attending matches.
Of course getting a blue badge these days is much more difficult because of the extent of abuse although fortunately the scheme remains firmly in local authority control so that IDS can't get his hands on it (yet!).

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We park in the uni and my dad who has mobility issues but not enough to get a blue badge uses the shuttle bus.

However this weekend we have to park in the bridge and therefore he can't attend the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Every sympathy with those less able, and doubting if they can attend.

The walk from the Bridge is actually an easier walk than from the Uni in some respects, if a little longer - no stairs, all fairly flat.

I wonder could the club arrange to give one steward a golf buggy thing (not an actual GOLF buggy, but like the ones they use at airports) to assist those in greatest need? Too late to arrange, probably.

We park in the uni and my dad who has mobility issues but not enough to get a blue badge uses the shuttle bus.

However this weekend we have to park in the bridge and therefore he can't attend the game.

I've been getting reports of a number of regular users of the shuttle service who are unable to use the university car park for the next two games. It does seem to be a problem that the use of the university car park is restricted to blue badge holders, when there are other people with mobility problems who need assistance for the last part of their journey, but have been relocated to The Bridge.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here