Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton rules out Republic of Ireland link-up [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion*boss Chris Hughton has ruled out an imminent return to international management with the Republic of Ireland.
Even if Martin O’Neill’s position again comes under scrutiny if they fail to qualify for next year’s Euro finals in France.
Hughton played for his country and was No.2 to Brian Kerr earlier in his managerial career.
His pedigree and experience would make him an obvious contender if O’Neill ends up leaving.
But Hughton is happy at Albion and has no burning desire to test himself again in the immediate future on the international stage.

He told The Argus: “Lots of people have said that to me but I don’t have any ambitions to manage at international level, only because of where I am at the moment.
“I think as a manager you want to manage at the highest level possible and international management is one of those higher levels.
“But I think always the best way to approach your work is to concentrate on what you are doing.
“What I’m doing here takes up so much of your time and your thoughts and so much of your life that you don’t really think about too much outside of the job here at Brighton.”
Albion youngster Glen Rea, who is currently on loan at Southend, was substituted in the second half as Republic of Ireland under-21s won 2-0 in a Euro qualifier away to Andorra last night. Crawley’s Shamir Fenelon was an unused substitute.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here