Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conservatories

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just saw Big Gully make a flippant comment about conservatories on the queen thread, and it got me thinking...

Who on earth has a conservatory fitted these days? They are shite. They cost a lot of money to install, they eat up a lot of your garden (which admittedly isn't a problem if you have a big garden I guess), and they are feckin freezing in the winter and sweltering hot in the summer, thus only useable six months of the year. Then there's the glass cleaning and maintenance to think about too.

What a shìt idea.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We had a conservatory built 10 years ago which meant we got a dining room to add to our living room and a kitchen. Without it we couldn't have the family or friends round for dinner as we would have nowhere to put a dining table. When we bought our house we couldn't afford to buy one with a dining room as that normally means there would be 3 bedrooms rather than the 2 bedroom house we could afford.

In 10 years we have paid £20 to somebody to adjust the doors so very little maintenance and we have a radiator for winter and windows and doors to open in the summer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When I saw the thread title, I thought please let this be a Simster rant and not a request for advice!

Not disappointed in the slightest! :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
losing a bit of garden might be a good thing for some (less upkeep) and its a cheap way to add an extra room. with a sensible design roof you can fit blinds that make use in the summer convenient, though poor desgin/no blinds can render them bloody useless on proper hot days (guess which i have)

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Just saw Big Gully make a flippant comment about conservatories on the queen thread, and it got me thinking...

Who on earth has a conservatory fitted these days? They are shite. They cost a lot of money to install, they eat up a lot of your garden (which admittedly isn't a problem if you have a big garden I guess), and they are feckin freezing in the winter and sweltering hot in the summer, thus only useable six months of the year. Then there's the glass cleaning and maintenance to think about too.

What a shìt idea.

It might be an idea to chat with someone who has a conservatory before ending up with your astute summary. We have a radiator along one side so I use it most nights to watch footy - and with winter sun, it is quite usable during the day in winter. In summer on very hot days, you open up the window and the doors. The window cleaners do the glass, and it costs us £10.00 every 2 months. It would also add value to your property, if this were a priority.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It might be an idea to chat with someone who has a conservatory before ending up with your astute summary. We have a radiator along one side so I use it most nights to watch footy - and with winter sun, it is quite usable during the day in winter. In summer on very hot days, you open up the window and the doors. The window cleaners do the glass, and it costs us £10.00 every 2 months. It would also add value to your property, if this were a priority.

Heating a conservatory under current building regulations is not allowed if its connected to the central heating system. Just as an informative for people.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have had one with a radiator in the past, and can't say I was impressed. And I have one now, without a radiator although it is a very basic structure. So do I still need to ask someone or am I allowed to form my own opinion?

And it might be an idea for you to chat to an estate agent before your own astute summary. Like swimming pools, conservatories don't necessarily add value to your property at all I'm afraid.

Personally speaking, I'd have a conservatory if it was in the right place, and the garden was big enough. But as a general rule, I find them too cold and often quite unnecessary in the context of additional space downstairs. The worst thing is where people have installed them such that the garden is massively compromised.

Overall, in the black and white world of Internet message boards, I think they're gash. [emoji106]

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Then one of these might be for you.

http://www.samsonawnings.co.uk/

One of these would do just as well too:

beach_chair_umbrella_quad.jpg

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I have had one with a radiator in the past, and can't say I was impressed. And I have one now, without a radiator although it is a very basic structure. So do I still need to ask someone or am I allowed to form my own opinion?

And it might be an idea for you to chat to an estate agent before your own astute summary. Like swimming pools, conservatories don't necessarily add value to your property at all I'm afraid.

Personally speaking, I'd have a conservatory if it was in the right place, and the garden was big enough. But as a general rule, I find them too cold and often quite unnecessary in the context of additional space downstairs. The worst thing is where people have installed them such that the garden is massively compromised.

My friend, it was the manner of your summary. If you come up with such a statement, then at least qualify it as you have now done. And please don't give me such nonsense as you not being able to give your own opinion. My son in law is an estate agent, and his advice is in direct contrast to your assertion. You might not get back every penny you spend, but it clearly adds to the value of your property -given that it is in effect an extra room, of course it would.
As you write, it also depends on what is more important to you , if it cuts down garden space. Regarding the radiator, we have a brick support of about nine bricks high, and the rad is a small one which does however stretch along one side, being about 4 metres in length. On the bitterest nights it will not heat the whole conservatory, granted, but it is perfectly OK when sitting next to it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Save up for an extension or don't bother.

If a conservatory was a footballer, he'd be Leon Best. Useless most of the time.

ferris_ferrit

Feb 1, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here