Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion : Getting it right off the pitch ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Albion have outdone nearly all the Premier League clubs and the rest of the Football League in being nominated for 4 Football Business Awards.

- Best Fan Engagement
- Best Marketing
- Best Match Day Experience
- Best Community Scheme.

http://www.footballbusinessawards.com/finalists.html

I know i get a rep on here for being *slightly* over positive about the club but i think the efforts it puts into initiatives OFF the pitch are v.impressive The last couple of weeks illustrate that. But day by day and especially the charity; Albion in the Community , some of the ways it supports first time fans, young fans, and schools are , imo, some of the best in the country. So this is well deserved.

Thoughts ? Does any of this matter ? Is "Fan engagement" a load of marketing b***cks ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's positive, really good and it shows through fan numbers turning up every week for second division football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Albion have outdone nearly all the Premier League clubs and the rest of the Football League in being nominated for 4 Football Business Awards.

- Best Fan Engagement
- Best Marketing
- Best Community Scheme.

I know i get a rep on here for being *slightly* over positive about the club but i think the efforts it puts into initiatives OFF the pitch are v.impressive The last couple of weeks illustrate that. But day by day and especially the charity; Albion in the Community , some of the ways it supports first time fans, young fans, and schools are , imo, some of the best in the country. So this is well deserved.

Thoughts ? Does any of this matter ? Is "Fan engagement" a load of marketing b***cks ?

Who votes/nominates for this?

el punal

- Best Fan Engagement
- Best Marketing
- Best Community Scheme.

There will always be some people who post on this board who criticise the club come what may. Most of us, however, are proud of what the club has achieved in a short space of time both on and off the pitch.

If you bother to read other clubs' fan forums you will find mostly positive comments on the stadium, the facilities, the way they are treated and the whole day experience. Add this to the off-field activities and the way the club has conducted themselves following the Shoreham tragedy makes me proud to be a supporter of the Albion.

Having said that, to some, the be all and end all of Brighton and Hove Albion is what happens on the pitch and nothing else. Fair enough, we are a football club after all. For me though, having endured the worst that the Goldstone and Withdean (and certain away grounds) have had to offer, the Amex is positively luxurious. I enjoy being able to have a couple of pints before and after the game. And, yes, it much more enjoyable when we are producing on the pitch.

For the nay-sayers, just remember where we were twenty years ago and what we had to put up with, similar, I suppose to what Blackpool fans are suffering with now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Great work by the club but, undoubtedly, on-the-pitch is the key matter.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This Tom Gorringe seems very enthusiastic and proactive in his role and it seems to have been noted...

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

- Best Fan Engagement
- Best Marketing
- Best Community Scheme.

Notably this season so far there's been less bullshit corporate sell sell sell which is commendable. The fact that Barber is taking a back seat is a massive result and extends the feel good factor that's come from results so far. Hopefully we can keep it up. Good work Gorringe (and the Canadian chap presumably)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Worst Brand Image Presentation 2015

Nominated : Football Business Awards

For their use of 4 year out of date term 'Premiership' on multiple occasions

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm sorry, I know football is a business now but awards like these just make my heart sink in general.

The club have got it right off the pitch at the moment. Lots of things say so too, not just the Shoreham response. But when I see w**kfests like this my soul dies a little.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Has his activity changed? Isn't more a case of he has got rid of staff who were poor and replaced them with staff who are good.

That's my thought too. I was VERY critical of Paul Barber last season when I felt pretty much everything was going wrong. Ultimately the CEO is responsible for that. It's only fair therefore to give him a large amount of credit and kudos for turning things around. The leader carries the can in bad times so they should get the plaudits in good.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sorry, I know football is a business now but awards like these just make my heart sink in general.

The club have got it right off the pitch at the moment. Lots of things say so too, not just the Shoreham response. But when I see w**kfests like this my soul dies a little.

You are upsetting yourself over nothing - these particular awards are not for your (general public) consumption. These are industry awards, voted for amongst peers, and recognising excellence within their industry. EVERY industry has them.

The particular nature of the nominations recieved, look real feathers in the caps of Tom Gorringe and Paul Beirne. Fair play to them. You might not appreciate the need for people in these roles, but just accept that if we do need them, we might as well strive to have the BEST people we can get, in the roles.

As an aside, in case anyone worries about 'faceless marketing bullshit', etc, its worth noting that before launching his football marketing career with Portsmouth and then Cardiff, Tom Gorringe was a season ticket holder at Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here