Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three games in 8 days

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
After a fantastic start and some effective transfer trading, we have a little run of games coming up, that I think might change the way a fair number of people seem to be viewing our team selection.

Firstly the spine of the side looks strong and is developing a good understanding. The front 2 and the central midfield 2 are getting through a huge workload especially when we don't have possession. I suspect we will see some rotation and maybe even changes to the starting line up for the Rotherham game, in order to keep key players fresh. I expect similar changes with the 3 centre backs.

Wingers and wide men. Isn't it great to have options ? My gut feel is that Elvis will be tried as a 433 supersub if we need to chase games. The others will start based on form and I suspect a more cautious approach away from home.

Whilst for many Kayal is our outstanding player, for me Bong is the only un-droppable right now. There is therefore a lot of scope for managerial tactical nous (when it works) or unnecessary fiddling (when it doesn't). Just how rigid is CH's thinking ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, you think King Kayal is droppable?!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think I am right in saying that Bmouth kept the same side as much as they possibly could throughout the season, the only changes made were due to injury or suspensions. As long as things are working then I like this philosophy.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I wouldn't be surprised to see the first sub(s) coming on on the hour mark, especially if we're winning. The likes of Ince to give Kayal/Stephens (whichever has been booked/is most likely to be booked again) a breather

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Rotherham is eminently winnable so the last game you would change things for. If you want to adopt a slightly different (potentially more defensive) style it is probably at Wolves where a point would be a good result.
That said it isn't long since we changed things for Walsall with players not used to working together in match play and that wasn't a great success :lolol:
Think I'd go with a settled starting line-up for as long as we can and use subs earlier in the game if players tire.
The time to make changes is if individuals lose form.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If things go to plan, you want to play your back five throughout games. I can see some rotation in the back five between games, but the only one that looks undroppable is Stockdale.
As for the front six, that's where there's bound to be more rotation, especially within games. Those changes should be dictated according to form, fitness, and the requirements of games. But, following on from this thread's title, when we have three games in eight days, it'd be surprising if any of the front six played the full 270 minutes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think I am right in saying that Bmouth kept the same side as much as they possibly could throughout the season, the only changes made were due to injury or suspensions. As long as things are working then I like this philosophy.
I think you are right. Burnley had a similar approach the season before.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
We'd be stupid to change the defence, Greer/Uwe look to be forming a very strong, organised partnership, long may it continue. Playing 90 minutes on Saturday and again Tuesday is really not that much to ask, Greer has shown many times that he is more that capable of doing that, proving many in here wrong.

We are in great form, and just had two weeks off. We really do not need to rotate the squad now. The only position i think that should be up for grabs is right wing. Rosenior/Elvis/Murphy/March all in contention.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We'd be stupid to change the defence, Greer/Uwe look to be forming a very strong, organised partnership, long may it continue. Playing 90 minutes on Saturday and again Tuesday is really not that much to ask, Greer has shown many times that he is more that capable of doing that, proving many in here wrong.

We are in great form, and just had two weeks off. We really do not need to rotate the squad now. The only position i think that should be up for grabs is right wing. Rosenior/Elvis/Murphy/March all in contention.

I kind of agree re not changing Greer (yet), although in the long run he will be changed. Dunk is a better player and the BFG looks good. Time will tell, I do expect a Greer moment to come soon unfortunately...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Barry Lloyd was also very fond of this philosophy - it can work well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Am I right in thinking that when Aston Villa last won the league they did it using just 14 players all that season? If so, that is an incredible feat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here