Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paula Radcliffe denies cheating after she is "effectively implicated"...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would be amazed if she was involved and simply dont believe she has ever cheated, probably one of the most outspoken athletes against Drug use, even in her prime as an athlete she campaigned against it.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I would be amazed if she was involved and simply dont believe she has ever cheated, probably one of the most outspoken athletes against Drug use, even in her prime as an athlete she campaigned against it.

Just like Lance Armstrong did!!

Seriously though, Lance Armstrong was so convincing to me that he was clean, when in fact he was drugged up to the eyeballs that I never know now if an athlete is clean or not. I just wait until they are found innocent or guilty.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Seriously though, Lance Armstrong was so convincing to me that he was clean, when in fact he was drugged up to the eyeballs that I never know now if an athlete is clean or not. I just wait until they are found innocent or guilty.

he fooled me as well. i remember defending him in the pub on numerous occasions - silly me

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From the article linked above, I'm team Paula:

"But in a 1,700-word statement on Tuesday, Radcliffe gave a detailed explanation for the three 'abnormal' readings referred to by the Sunday Times, saying:
One blood result which fell marginally outside the normal range was explained by having been taken after a half-marathon run at midday in 30-degree heat
The data could also have been affected by the fact Radcliffe was ill before that race and was taking antibiotics
Two of the three readings were taken immediately after races - before the two-hour threshold which is currently required for a valid test
All three readings were taken following periods of prolonged altitude training, which can also affect the values
None of the three readings in question occurred around any of her best performances or races, including all of her London Marathon wins"

The Times were after a story. An in depth analysis of what is ultimately quite a grey area was always going to dilute sensationalist headlines so why bother? Better to ruin an athlete's reputation? Seb has it right: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/seb-coe-brands-doping-allegations-6197548

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From the article linked above, I'm team Paula:

"But in a 1,700-word statement on Tuesday, Radcliffe gave a detailed explanation for the three 'abnormal' readings referred to by the Sunday Times, saying:
One blood result which fell marginally outside the normal range was explained by having been taken after a half-marathon run at midday in 30-degree heat
The data could also have been affected by the fact Radcliffe was ill before that race and was taking antibiotics
Two of the three readings were taken immediately after races - before the two-hour threshold which is currently required for a valid test
All three readings were taken following periods of prolonged altitude training, which can also affect the values
None of the three readings in question occurred around any of her best performances or races, including all of her London Marathon wins"

The Times were after a story. An in depth analysis of what is ultimately quite a grey area was always going to dilute sensationalist headlines so why bother? Better to ruin an athlete's reputation? Seb has it right: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/seb-coe-brands-doping-allegations-6197548

Does anyone know which specific lab test is being used? I know my way around lab data so I'm intrigued.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My heart is telling me she is clean, because she is a proper legend. Would be so disappointed if she has cheated at any point.

Her performance stats are bordering on freakish - without looking them up, I think she has the three fastest marathon times run by a female, and her WR is still over 3 mins quicker than any other woman has ever run. Doesn't sound much but at her pace she'd be well over half a mile ahead of the next best. It's incredible.....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just wondering what to believe, the word of an athlete who has represented her country with distinction and has consistently decried drug cheats................. or the insinuation of a no-name Tory back bencher who has finally managed to push himself into the spotlight?

Tough call :nono:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just wondering what to believe, the word of an athlete who has represented her country with distinction and has consistently decried drug cheats................. or the insinuation of a no-name Tory back bencher who has finally managed to push himself into the spotlight?

Tough call :nono:

Don't forget the Times scientist who "analysed" the data :lolol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Does anyone know which specific lab test is being used? I know my way around lab data so I'm intrigued.

Biopassport data is basically a combination of haemoglobin, haematocrit and reticulocyte count. The last 2 are used to construct an "off-score" - as you may be aware, if you artificially boost your red cells with transfusions, you will decrease your own production and thus reduce your reticulocyte count.

Tracking these over time builds up a picture of an athlete's true values, changes over competition and any potential spikes as a result of EPO/blood doping. It can be gamed, however, by consistent and careful micro-dosing of EPO.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Athletes who use chemical or other means to gain a performance advantage have no option than to deny that they do it, and those who do it on a sophisticated level presumably deny it on the basis that they do it under the best scientific advice they can buy and believe they are safe from discovery, hence their denials and campaigning can be that much more vocal and forceful. Until proven to the contrary I dont trust anyone, including, I'm sorry to say, Saint Paula.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Athletes who use chemical or other means to gain a performance advantage have no option than to deny that they do it, and those who do it on a sophisticated level presumably deny it on the basis that they do it under the best scientific advice they can buy and believe they are safe from discovery, hence their denials and campaigning can be that much more vocal and forceful. Until proven to the contrary I dont trust anyone, including, I'm sorry to say, Saint Paula.

A very dissapointing view, Your saying anyone who excels is cheating...Bolt, Farah, Ennis etc you simply cannot tarnish people who have done nothing wrong.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

he fooled me as well. i remember defending him in the pub on numerous occasions - silly me

Armstrong never came out with anything as definitive as Radcliffe has said here. His favourite line was "I have never tested positive", though in the end it turned out he had and the UCI had covered it up. The thing that most makes me think Radcliffe is clean is her inconsistency, blood dopers normally are remarkably consistent in their performance. See Armstrong's seven successive Tour de France's with only one bad day across all seven years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here