Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's Best Pub 2015 anyone?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not being a Brighton resident I don't have the level of pub knowledge to kick this off, but surely we're due a re-run of the NSC Brighton Pub of the Year? It's been a few years since the Battle of Trafalgar scooped the prestigious title, and I'm sure there are still some scores to settle on here :)

Does anyone have an up to date list of pubs in Brighton (& Hove?)?

Papa

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Great idea, would love to read this thread as the number of new (or adapted) pubs is huge over the last few years. Just this summer I think I went to 5 new or re-branded pubs.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Great idea, would love to read this thread as the number of new (or adapted) pubs is huge over the last few years. Just this summer I think I went to 5 new or re-branded pubs.

Exactly - the pub landscape has changes dramatically in the years since the last one.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not sure I'd nominate it as the Best Pub in Brighton but I paid a first visit to the Dead Wax Social after the Sufjan gig the other night and loved it. Ok it is about as hipster as you could possibly get, but it was lively, records everywhere and a good choice of beers.

Of the more recent entrants to the Brighton Pub scene I'd recommend the Brighton Beer Dispensary never fail to have a pleasant time in this small but friendly establishment. Also they have Beerkins which is simply the greatest pub food ever, FACT!

I have visited the Brewdog and I was impressed, more of a bar atmosphere than I was expecting. Wouldn't be my favourite pub, but it exceeded expectations.

I'm always going to be fan of the Battle, Albert, Nelson, Baskets etc but would like to see some fresher suggestions in this years competition.

And before I go The Watchmakers in Hove, worth a mention just because of Seacider.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The long list from 2013 is below:

The Allen Arms
The Alibi
The Ancient Mariner
The Basketmakers
The Battle of Trafalgar
The Bugle
The Cliftonville
The Colonnade
The Constant Service
Cooper's Cask
The Craft Beer Co
The Duke of Wellington
The Earth & Stars
The Evening Star
The Farm Tavern
The Foragers
The Freemasons
The Good Companions
The Great Eastern
The Hampton Arms
The Hand in Hand
The Heart in Hand
The Mitre
The Montpellier
The Montreal
The Lord Nelson
Northern Lights
The Prince Albert
The Ranelagh
The Regency Tavern
The Shakespeare
The Signalman
The Stanley Arms
The Station Hotel
Robin Hood
The Windmill
The World's End

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Having completed the 2015 Ale Trail I agree that we need to award the prestigious NSC Pub of the Year again and look forward to conducting some research before I vote.

Is the title Best Brighton Pub? or should it be Best Pub in Brighton & Hove ?

Or Should we have Best Brighton? and Best Hove? and then have a play off like the World Series ?

So many great pubs. So little time

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Having completed the 2015 Ale Trail I agree that we need to award the prestigious NSC Pub of the Year again and look forward to conducting some research before I vote.

Is the title Best Brighton Pub? or should it be Best Pub in Brighton & Hove ?

Or Should we have Best Brighton? and Best Hove? and then have a play off like the World Series ?

So many great pubs. So little time

Well, it is a single City now, so B&H would be more inclusive.

Perhaps we need to produce our full list of entrants NOW, and wait 2 months to allow as many 'judges' to sample the entrant pubs, before we vote :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Another recently revamped pub is The Seven Stars. A really good range of beers on draught (I was only there briefly, but the Pale Ale I had was great), and food by Little Blue Smokehouse.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If The Stanley was on the last long list then it's Brighton, Hove and Portslade. On that note an honorable mention to The Railway on Boundary Road. I foresaw that falling flat on its face but I was wrong. They've done a great job on it and its now a treasured local. Not sure I can claim its the best in the whole city but three cheers for decent beer and a welcoming atmosphere in a place that is chiefly making its money from families eating.

And I'd like to say nice things about THE CYCLIST on the station. Always been good when I've popped in before or after matches. It's even getting some TOILETS soon so I'm told.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Went to The Exchange near Hove station a couple of weeks ago, pretty impressed with it. There seem to be a fair few decent pubs in Hove these days

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Exactly - the pub landscape has changes dramatically in the years since the last one.

This is because they're all being taken over by Drink In Brighton or Indigo and homogenised.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Doesn't it just involve people nominating a pub, and that pub being seconded in order for it to be included in the competition? Then form groups from the nominees and let the voting commence.

Or I can see if I've got time to get a new trophy this week and drop it into the BoT pre-match on Saturday, and just cut out all the huffing and puffing that normally takes place first.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Doesn't it just involve people nominating a pub, and that pub being seconded in order for it to be included in the competition? Then form groups from the nominees and let the voting commence.

Or I can see if I've got time to get a new trophy this week and drop it into the BoT pre-match on Saturday, and just cut out all the huffing and puffing that normally takes place first.

Only if you make the Honey Badger the de facto World's Hardest Creature using the same process.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Let's do that :)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Not sure I'd nominate it as the Best Pub in Brighton but I paid a first visit to the Dead Wax Social after the Sufjan gig the other night and loved it. Ok it is about as hipster as you could possibly get, but it was lively, records everywhere and a good choice of beers.

I really liked this place too, enjoyed having a good snoop about at the vinyl whilst supping a pint.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I really liked this place too, enjoyed having a good snoop about at the vinyl whilst supping a pint.

it's certainly different. Was buzzing on friday, it's practically a club at the back. I shall definitely return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here