Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funny. (Might not be suitable for Jimbob5).

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
trouble.jpg

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
You say 'MIGHT not be suitable of Jimbob' but the notice says 'There MAY be trouble ahead'. Surely it should be 'There MIGHT be trouble ahead'.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You say 'MIGHT not be suitable of Jimbob' but the notice says 'There MAY be trouble ahead'. Surely it should be 'There MIGHT be trouble ahead'.

But when Irving Berlin wrote "Let's Face The Music and Dance", he wrote "There may be trouble ahead".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Isn't that what he's just said? ???

Quite possibly. I was just trying to show off my vast musical knowledge..... which I had to check on Wikipedia.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Quite possibly. I was just trying to show off my vast musical knowledge..... which I had to check on Wikipedia.

You would not have to be Irving Berlin to hear that 'there might be trouble ahead' does not roll off the tongue as well as 'there may be trouble ahead'. Musically Irving was definitely right but I've always thought of 'may' as meaning something is allowed,

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You would not have to be Irving Berlin to hear that 'there might be trouble ahead' does not roll off the tongue as well as 'there may be trouble ahead'. Musically Irving was definitely right but I've always thought of 'may' as meaning something is allowed,

Totally agree. I was almost going to make the point that the "may" version just sounds better - rolls off the tongue, as you say. I will never forget Angela Rippon doing it on the Morecambe and Wise Show.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here