Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows10- any easy way to uninstall?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I went for the free upgrade, after much nagging from the sneakily installed reminder bot, on a laptop that came pre loaded with windows7..

I have found 10 to be sluggish, hard to navigate, and not easy to locate stuff in my folders.

Apparantly after x days, W10 'assumes' you're happy and so removes old OS? I don't think that was ever made clear!

So, i essence, I just need to find how to remove windows 10. I can then reboot pc (hopefully), with the format disc and activation code, unless MS have conveniently disabled that, too?

Ta muchly.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
off_and_on_again.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont think alot about Windows 10 has been made clear, its a pretty sinister little move.

if you have the install media, just boot from that and reinstall, reformating the drive as you go. do back up any data first of course.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good question. It's high time that legislation was introduced to make compulsory for an easily found 'uninstall' or 'unsubscribe' button to be available on every programme or application or website (moneysupermarket.com is (or at least was), I've been told by someone who apparently tried it, a supremely bad example; getting rid after your month's free trial was a hard job for an IT professional).
Just don't install Windows 10 - or anything else that pops up saying please update or upgrade now. If you've already done it, you're probably screwed. Sorry.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I am so glad I ditched windows a few years ago (sorry it doesn't help you)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Have you got a recovery partition on your drive you can install from? Otherwise I think you are shit out of luck, how old is the laptop, can you send it back to the shop and ask them to put it back to factory settings?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Hang on, do you have a full version of Windows 7 that you bought separately or did it come from the manufacturer?

If you have the windows disc and OEM key from the manufacturer you will be able to boot from CD and reinstall windows 7 this would mean deleting everything on your main drive though, so obviously you would need to back everything up.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I had Windows 7 and took the upgrade. It blew access to my Word docs and made the laptop unwieldy and slow. Computer savvy son had backed up everything to a new portable hard drive so suggested wiping laptop clean, downloading 10 again, then retrieving what I wanted from the portable drive. Simples - not! Laptop wouldn't reboot. Took him 48 hours on and off to restart from a downloaded Windows 10 to a memory stick.

So far, it has cost me £49.99 for a portable hard drive for back up, £8.95 for employee discounted Office and, yes £899 for a new laptop with touch screen. Ok, didn't need to spend that much, but it's very shiny, smart and quick. Plus techie son has managed to get my old Dell workhorse fully up and running properly on Windows 10. So may stick it on eBay!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just . . . don't. Windows 8.upgrade is good though. It never unacceptably $.mistakes or slowly thribble.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
My protection against all of this is to not have any of that bloody Windows sh*te in my life anymore. They sell a half finished product, sell it to the public and use them as free testers for future updates. F*** that

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
When you bought your laptop with Windows 7 home premium, there is normally two ways that it will go, you either have a recovery partition or you have to make a recovery disc, it's hard not to notice the continued spam from Windows about the recovery disc. If you failed to make the disc you are well and truly stuck, not sure if it was Windows 7 or Windows 8 where the product key was inserted into your motherboards bios.
Your only option if all the other ideas on this thread fail is a new full copy of Windows 7. Making sure you have any important documents or work backed up before you start the installation.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No disc- windows 7 home premium was pre-installed on pc when I bought it... w10 seems to have forced its way on, despite trying to decline their upgrade nags

You should be able to download Windows 7 from Microsoft and use the Windows 7 key provided by the laptop manufacturer. Or you could also download Windows 10 and do a complete reinstall to see if it helps the sluggishness (you shouldn't need a key for this).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here