Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HMRC - like going back in time 30 years

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know there are a few taxmen that follow the club (yes I know The Cardinal but I'm sure there are others). Does it take special training before someone is allowed to answer the phone there? I have a calculation that I think is wrong and would , at least, like explaining. Just phoned to be told there was a 35 minute wait just to get hold of someone. Also lines close at 4.30 on a Friday still. It's like the last 30 years never happened.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I took 30 minutes the other week but the person was very helpful. Luckily it's an 03 number included in my free calls rather than an 084.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I received an email from them earlier, which I thought was a bit strange as they almost always send post. I need to phone them later to question the validity of the email... I just know I'll be waiting for easily half an hour and I can think of better ways to spend my lunch break!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I received an email from them earlier, which I thought was a bit strange as they almost always send post. I need to phone them later to question the validity of the email... I just know I'll be waiting for easily half an hour and I can think of better ways to spend my lunch break!

HMRC don't correspond by email. The only email correspondence they use is automated emails to acknowledge the receipt on ''on line'' completed forms which taxpayers themselves have completed

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All civil service departments have had their staff numbers slashed. Anyone leaving or retiring haven't been replaced. Those that are left are stretched to the limits.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I get those too telling me they owe me 100k tax refund and they just need my bank account number to transfer the money into! Do you think I should respond?

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
All civil service departments have had their staff numbers slashed. Anyone leaving or retiring haven't been replaced. Those that are left are stretched to the limits.

Maybe they need to think about modernising their systems to help compensate? Also given the political imperative to catch tax dodgers cutting back on staffing in HMRC would seem, at first glance, to be a bit of a false economy??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know there are a few taxmen that follow the club (yes I know The Cardinal but I'm sure there are others). Does it take special training before someone is allowed to answer the phone there? I have a calculation that I think is wrong and would , at least, like explaining. Just phoned to be told there was a 35 minute wait just to get hold of someone. Also lines close at 4.30 on a Friday still. It's like the last 30 years never happened.

I told them I earn over a million a year, they don't bother me for tax anymore.

#DavesMates

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Hover your cursor over the email address so you can see what it is.....it'll be dodgy.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

The do send some stuff by email - I think you have to opt in for it though.
The emails just say you need to go on the Gov Gateway site and do something (pay them money usually :().

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tip - bogus emails purporting to be HMRC often include the word "fiscal". HMRC never use this word, it is an Americanism.

They don't use email, they still fax stuff, 30 mins plus for a wait- time and it takes months to process basic forms. It's scarily bad, and Tax Returns are set to be abolished with 4 years?! I

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

But still seem capable of sending a dozen contradictory letters about a simple underpayment of tax. I get their numbers have been slashed, and therefore would expect a delay in responses, but they could help themselves if they actually gave the CORRECT answer in the FIRST bloody letter. Really, they are dim and useless at HMRC but not as bad as the DWP.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Tip - bogus emails purporting to be HMRC often include the word "fiscal". HMRC never use this word, it is an Americanism.

They don't use email, they still fax stuff, 30 mins plus for a wait- time and it takes months to process basic forms. It's scarily bad, and Tax Returns are set to be abolished with 4 years?! I

Thats not exactly accurate that HMRC never use the word ''fiscal''

A Fiscal year end in the UK is a 5th April Year End whereas a fiscal year end in the US coincides with the normal Calendar year end of 31st December.

You are correct that these emails are bogus though but i am not sure that Tax Returns will be abolished within 4 years though

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As long as you don't have to speak to anyone they are OK in my experience. I did my tax return online as usual last month and was due a repayment this year - 15 mins to do the return, and I had the money in my account within 4 days.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As long as you don't have to speak to anyone they are OK in my experience. I did my tax return online as usual last month and was due a repayment this year - 15 mins to do the return, and I had the money in my account within 4 days.

I've always done mine online but they've adjusted it themselves this time. The letter said "please let us know if there is anything you don't agree with (there is) or do not understand in our calculation. Our telephone number is shown above" (but makes you wait 35 mins, has a voice recognition program that doesn't work properly and tries to fob you off).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've always done mine online but they've adjusted it themselves this time. The letter said "please let us know if there is anything you don't agree with (there is) or do not understand in our calculation. Our telephone number is shown above" (but makes you wait 35 mins, has a voice recognition program that doesn't work properly and tries to fob you off).

gits

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Remember, if you are employed they know exactly how much you have earned.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I hate that automated system - "OK, you've told me that you want to talk about a self-assessment return. Is this correct? If it is correct, say "Yes". If it's not correct, say "No". Half an hour later: "OK, you've told me that you want to talk about capital gains tax in respect of your self-assessment form for the year ended 5th April 2015. Is this correct?" etc etc. I don't get annoyed easily, but that system really tries my patience.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here