Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 mile South Downs walk for Albion in the Community - Just dunnit

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I ache, my god I ache. But I have got a warm glow. Just done this today - starting in Lewes at 7.45am, and crossing the line 25 miles later at 4.30 this afternoon at Beachy Head. Myself and 30-40 intrepid walkers all yomped our way o'er hill and dale in a generally south-easterly direction to reach our goal. I thought Firle Beacon would be a challenge (and by christ it was), but after 19 miles, nothing had prepared me for the final 5-6 miles across the seemingly neverending undulating cliffs of those Seven Sisters. They are sluts. Every last one of them, and I NEVER want to encounter them again. I'm not sure I've ever heard my heart pumping in my head before, but today did. And I also discovered today that my right achilles ain't that great, which meant hobbling pretty much sideways downhill to avoid collapsing in a sweaty heap. Incredibly, uphill was somehow a relief. And following my soak, I've also required copious amounts of Sudocream in some very intimate areas, for which I will spare you the details.

Anyway, now for the boring bit (or the even MORE boring bit). The target was to raise £250. I'm on £392. If anyone would like to muster another tenner for a fantastic cause, then please feel free to do so on the link. I'm conscious that there has been an incredibly worthwhile cause lately connected with the airshow disaster, and I don't want to do the charity burnout. But if you would like to contribute to another truly brilliant cause, and get this over £400, then here's the place. (Frankly, I'm gonna do it myself regardless, but any other contributions are of course welcome). I've met some amazing, dedicated people today who have made me so, so proud to be Albion.

https://www.justgiving.com/David-Rider1/

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Ooo, well done.
I'm a bit OCD so I sent eight quid to make it a round £400

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well done Easy. Weather couldn't have been more perfect eh? No blisters?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well done Easy. Weather couldn't have been more perfect eh? No blisters?

The weather was an INCREDIBLE blessing. Frankly, given some of the climbs, it would have been horrendous in the wet just getting traction, it would have added (I think) another hour at least, probably more.

I'm blister free though. Wore my trusty old trainers with some deeply unfashionable but thick supporting socks (rolled to the ankles). Its my calfs and thighs that are suffering a bit, I'll probably wake up stiff as a board. And going downhill, when its so steep, just killed my knees and that right achilles (which has never been a problem before).

Hows this for depressing. About 21 miles in, on the HELL that was the Seven Sisters, a couple I saw at the start cheerily JOGGED past me down the hill, gave a wave and a thumbs up to me, and somehow kept it going up the next ridiculous incline I was dreading. I've never felt so inadequate. Fair play to them, that was superhuman as far as I'm concerned.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The weather was an INCREDIBLE blessing. Frankly, given some of the climbs, it would have been horrendous in the wet just getting traction, it would have added (I think) another hour at least, probably more.

I'm blister free though. Wore my trusty old trainers with some deeply unfashionable but thick supporting socks (rolled to the ankles). Its my calfs and thighs that are suffering a bit, I'll probably wake up stiff as a board. And going downhill, when its so steep, just killed my knees and that right achilles (which has never been a problem before).

Hows this for depressing. About 21 miles in, on the HELL that was the Seven Sisters, a couple I saw at the start cheerily JOGGED past me down the hill, gave a wave and a thumbs up to me, and somehow kept it going up the next ridiculous incline I was dreading. I've never felt so inadequate. Fair play to them, that was superhuman as far as I'm concerned.

I always wake up stiff as a board (ahem), but congratulations - I'll bung in £20 to the cause.

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
Ah, you'll be the chap in the Albion shirt I saw hobbling towards the Beachy Head pub at the end. We had a brief chat at the half-way stage. Well played, sir: https://twitter.com/DannyLast/status/640564864633675776

As with everything the club puts their name to nowadays it was superbly well organised and a joy to be a part of. Nice too to meet Brighton & England's Matt Francis at the end, that lad is a great ambassador for the Albion.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Well done easy, I walked that very route but from Brighton racecourse in July. Did you go through Alfriston, if so aren't those 2 sets of steps through the woods as you head towards the coast tough. And as for seven sisters at the end...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ah, you'll be the chap in the Albion shirt I saw hobbling towards the Beachy Head pub at the end. We had a brief chat at the half-way stage. Well played, sir: https://twitter.com/DannyLast/status/640564864633675776

As with everything the club puts their name to nowadays it was superbly well organised and a joy to be a part of. Nice too to meet Brighton & England's Matt Francis at the end, that lad is a great ambassador for the Albion.

Ahh yes, we had a chat at the stop for lunch didn't we, nice to meet you fella. That certainly was a hobble at the end, once I'd stopped for a while my legs just started seizing up. Twas a bit of a struggle from there, but that was without doubt the best pint of Peroni I've ever had. And totally agree, the organisation and support for the whole event was top notch, met some great people.

Well done easy, I walked that very route but from Brighton racecourse in July. Did you go through Alfriston, if so aren't those 2 sets of steps through the woods as you head towards the coast tough. And as for seven sisters at the end...

Cheers chap. I did indeed go through Alfriston, and blimey those steps up through the woods were a real struggle, steep doesn't even come close to covering it. And long !
Seven Sisters was the worst though, I thought that would never end. They should DO something about that.

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
Well done, Easy, tremendous effort. I'm the other (fatter) one you met at lunch, and my word you're right about the Sisters, total bitches.

But what a great day, everyone deserves a medal. Best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here