Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

October 4th XH558 Vulcan Final Days display

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Really enjoyed a day with Mrs Jakarta at the Shuttleworth Collection Old Warden Bedfordshire today, lots of Pre WW2 aircraft displaying plus the only remaining Sea Hurricane and a Gladiator.

The main issue is those (for obvious reasons) who didn't see the Vulcan XH558 at Shoreham it is displaying over Old Warden on the 4th of October.

Got my tickets earlier tonight, its a bit of a haul from Sussex but it will be the last time you will ever see it flying so just thought I would give those interested a heads up.

Link is: www.shuttleworth.org

:thumbsup:

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
Going to go for this. I'm not having much luck with seeing the Vulcan this year, she's cancelled each time I've gone to see her recently :(

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
It looks like the Vulcan will make an appearance at Goodwood this Saturday for the revival festival, so should be seen over parts of Sussex, weather permitting. I'll be there for the revival (so missing yet another Albion game - I've not been yet this season, despite being a season ticket holder, maybe I'm best staying away?) and I live a few miles away from Old Warden, so hopefully I'll see the Vulcan fly a couple more times before she's laid to rest.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Thinking I might have to take a trip up too. Saw her at Wellsbourne Wings and Wheels, along with a fast taxi by XM565 and still blown away by the sheer power.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
So I missed today's win against Hull as I was at the Goodwood Revival meeting. One consolation was going to be seeing the Vulcan on a low level fly past. Well it got within a few miles, we could just about see it, when we got told it had developed a fuel leak and therefore had to return to Doncaster.

Fingers crossed for Shuttleworth now.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm going to the Yorkshire Air Show on the 26th of this month - fingers crossed I'll get to see her one last time.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Heading to Church Fenton, just outside Leeds, today for the Yorkshire Air Show.

Weather forecast is looking good, so fingers crossed for one last chance to see her. :thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Heading to Church Fenton, just outside Leeds, today for the Yorkshire Air Show.

Weather forecast is looking good, so fingers crossed for one last chance to see her. :thumbsup:

Best of luck, she does seem to have 'gone technical' a lot on this Final Tour. I'm also hoping for this fine weather to stay until the 4th.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Perfect weather, great overall display and XH558 was bang on form. Started by doing a formation with two Gnats including a tribute to the Gnat pilot killed at the Chris Evans event a couple of months back.

Once that was done, the Gnats landed and it was full-on Vulcan time. She looked and sounded brilliant, and did a great display with Martin Withers at the controls, my only complaint was that a tiny bit of grit or something got in one of my eyes as she disappeared over the horizon for the last time. :wink:

I will upload some pics at some stage, most likely tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Slightly late, but some photos from Saturday as promised. :smile:

P1050326.JPG

P1050330.JPG

P1050331.JPG

P1050339.JPG

P1050342.JPG

P1050346.JPG

P1050348.JPG

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That is an awesome aircraft and some great photos.

Although I never quite understood why it had a woodland camouflage paint scheme on its underside...?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
That is an awesome aircraft and some great photos.

Although I never quite understood why it had a woodland camouflage paint scheme on its underside...?

I think it was to make it stand out more to airshow crowds, in high wing manouveres.
If it was painted blue it would not be so visable.
At least thats what I think I was told at Fairford a few years ago.
Its on a website somewhere.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Bounced thread as Mrs Jakarta and I are off to Old Warden to see XH558 do its final Display tomorrow, I'm sure there won't be a dry eye in the house. :(

I'm going to take my camera with me and inept as I am I hope to get something worth posting.

Next weekend sees it doing its final two days flying with a Flypast Tour of the North on the 10th and the South on the 11th.

Actual details of the routes will be released on the 6th on http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I saw the Vulcan at a flypast over Thorney Island [Chichester Bay] in 1953/4,the three V bombers if i remember correctly, Vulcan,Victor and V? were stars of the Battle of Britain show, I have never forgotten the day, the Vulcan made a last pass and slowed down and opened its bomb doors,the sound was shattering,I had planned to see it at Shoreham this year but at the last minute had to cancel my visit.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I saw the Vulcan at a flypast over Thorney Island [Chichester Bay] in 1953/4,the three V bombers if i remember correctly, Vulcan,Victor and V? were stars of the Battle of Britain show, I have never forgotten the day, the Vulcan made a last pass and slowed down and opened its bomb doors,the sound was shattering,I had planned to see it at Shoreham this year but at the last minute had to cancel my visit.

Vulcan, Victor and Valiant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here