Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The W formation in the old days.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How would it get on against today's set ups ? Oldies only need answer or you could have a stab I suppose.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think it would make much difference as the Centre Half inevitably dropped back between the full backs and usually the 2 wing halves had one attacking and one defensive so you had an adaptable back four. The difference would be in the attacking option.

This based on the old 2-3-5 formation.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm an old fart of 59----W----hat u on about:moo:

Two wingers, a centre forward, two inside forwards, two left haves, two left backs and only one centre half.

You didn't watch much then I take it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I dont think it would make much difference as the Centre Half inevitably dropped back between the full backs and usually the 2 wing halves had one attacking and one defensive so you had an adaptable back four. The difference would be in the attacking option.

How deep would the inside forwards drop do you reckon BG. Can't leave 5 up front away from home could you. I think it's all about the defensive side that might have to adapt.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just to be pedantic it was right and left back and right and left half no 2 left halves and left backs.

Sorry of course a right and left. Printing ergot.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How deep would the inside forwards drop do you reckon BG. Can't leave 5 up front away from home could you. I think it's all about the defensive side that might have to adapt.

The inside left and inside right would drop in to where the half backs started leaving a 4-3-3 modern formation when defending. If the 2 wingers play forward that stops the opposition full backs getting forward even in todays formations. If Lua Lua and Murphy are near Hulls penalty box their 2 full backs will be goal side of them to defend.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here