Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big interview: 'Evil' Hans was a Goldstone cult hero - and still takes no prisoners in TV

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Hans Kraay did not mind a bit of controversy during his days as a cult hero of the Goldstone Ground.
He arrived from Holland in 1983 after serving a 24–game ban for pushing a referee.
Fans chanted “Hans is evil” as the scrapes continued during his year-and-a-half with the Seagulls.
Now he is whipping up a few storms off the pitch as star attraction in the most popular – and heated - football programme on Dutch television.
“I speak like I played football,” Kraay told The Argus of the confrontational Voetbal International show which captivates a nation.
That will bring a smile to the faces of Albion fans of a certain age.
Especially those who wondered why on earth their club were signing the man once dubbed Europe’s dirtiest player.
“I was suspended for 24 games in Holland for pushing a referee,” Kraay still recalls.
“I’d already signed a contract in Greece for three years, then all of a sudden (Albion boss) Chis Cattlin phoned and said ‘I want you for a month’.
“I ripped the contract up. It was a good contract but I wanted to go to England.
“I was in a hotel with Danny Wilson. Then after a month I got a contract and I had a great time there.
“Every now and then Chris thought I was too aggressive for English football. He was scared of red cards, etc, etc.
“But Chris Cattlin is still my all-time favourite manager. What a great man he is!
“Everything was honest. He spoke the same to Frank Worthington, Joe Corrigan, Steve Foster as he did to young players.
“He loved my aggression but he knew I was a bit crazy too at that time.
“Sometimes I went over the top, even by English standards.
“He tried to make me cool my temper but that was very difficult. I’m still headstrong even now.
“Every Monday night I’m a regular on the most popular talk show in Holland.
“We say everything about Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV but the time when 25 years ago we thought we in Holland were the only ones who could play football have gone.
“I like to disagree with the other guests on the table.
“We disagree with each other, we challenge each other and the whole country likes the programme.
“There are four people there who wouldn’t drink a glass of wine or a lager with each other but they would fight with each other!
“So you can tell Chris Cattlin he didn’t totally change me. And he didn’t really want to change me.”
There are so many stories regarding Kraay’s time with Albion it is hard to believe he only played 23 games.
Many fans enjoyed his celebration after a crucial goal at Notts County in the second division promotion race of 1985.
Kraay recalls the background to that – although his most vivid recollection is of celebrating with Cattlin rather than the away fans.
He said: “In the first half I got a big kick on my ankle.
“At half-time I went to take my boot off and Chris Cattlin said ‘Don’t take it off because you won’t get it back on again’.
“I played a rubbish second half but the last thing I did was score the winning goal to make it 2-1.
“I was very happy he hadn’t taken me off at half time so I ran 70 or 80 yards to celebrate and then went into his arms.
“I wouldn’t do that again! But I really respected him – and my big friend Frank Worthington.”
He does not appear to remember the reserve team clash with Portsmouth’s John Crumplin which earnt him a ban.
And the trademark pogo-ing in front of opposing goalkeepers at corners, which was something new for his English audience, does not really stand out in his mind.
But the reaction his attitude got from the North Stand does.
“Behind one goal there was the hardcore Brighton support,” he said.
“At every corner they chanted ‘Hans is evil!’. But they only had to shout it once. They didn’t have to shout it 25 times!
“Even after one time I was crazy so I just tried to get the opponents all messed up.
“I remember one game we played against Tommy Docherty’s Wolverhampton Wanderers.
“I went running around in the box and it caused chaos. Their No.5 and No.6 clashed heads.
“I think the No.5 lost two teeth. That was one of the highlights for the supporters. The whole Goldstone Ground was laughing.
“I liked the chant at the time but later on I started playing in Holland again and tried to be more skilful.
“I don’t know why I did the pogo-ing. But I did everything the Brighton fans asked of me. If they liked me doing that, I did it.
“If they wanted sliding tackles. I made 50 sliding tackles.
“I think I had a problem at home to Cardiff.

“I was taken off and took my shirt off and threw it at the bench.“The headline was ‘Crazy Hans gets shirty’ so I got on my knees to the boss afterwards and said I was very sorry.”
His biggest regret, though, is his departure along with Worthington.
“After one-and-a-half years, Frank and I both asked for a signing fee,” he revealed.
“We were always together so we asked for the same amount of money.
“There was no money for a signing fee and I went back to Holland. They tried three times in the summer to get me back and that is the thing I regret the most.
“Everybody will laugh at us now. We said we wanted our wages, I think it was £50,000, and we each wanted an £8,000 signing-on fee.
“I admired Frank so much I gave him my word.
“When Frank came out of the office he said ‘No signing on fee’; “I said ‘What are we doing?’. He said he was leaving so I said I was leaving too.
“That was a very big mistake, to leave a fantastic club for £8,000. I wish I’d have stayed.
“I married Gill, from Brighton. She still lives there and we have a daughter there.”
Kraay coaches lower division side VV Dovo and his style might surprise some people - including Cattlin.
“I really enjoy coaching,” he said. “I do it in the Chris Cattlin style in that there can only be one boss in the dressing room.
“I believe in a very attacking football. We leave a lot of space behind the back four but I think the football we play is very skilful.
“Everything I did as a player, I DON’T want from my players!
“But the most important thing now is television. That’s why I have no ambition to go higher in management.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here