Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying off ebay, how safe is it? Advice needed

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
A question for all you ebay traders. I've just won a auction on ebay and I'm now trying to pay for it. Normally I pay using paypal but this time i've been asked to pay using a bank transfer directly in to the sellers account as the seller does not accept paypal payments. I have received an email from ebay setting out the transaction number, details of the transaction and the sellers bank account details. The email looks official and claims that I will be covered by ebay's money back guarantee. Is this a con or is it safe to proceed?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
A question for all you ebay traders. I've just won a auction on ebay and I'm now trying to pay for it. Normally I pay using paypal but this time i've been asked to pay using a bank transfer directly in to the sellers account as the seller does not accept paypal payments. I have received an email from ebay setting out the transaction number, details of the transaction and the sellers bank account details. The email looks official and claims that I will be covered by ebay's money back guarantee. Is this a con or is it safe to proceed?
I would be dubious. PayPal refunds can be taken from the seller by eBay. Once the money is in their account by transfer there's nothing you can do other than leave bad feedback.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I have only used paypal but would assume that if the item has been displayed on your OWN e bay account as being won, then i think the back up guarantee from E Bay would be genuine.
If you pay from your bank it will all be on record and should the transaction go through and you do not receive your item, then i think the bank would investigate and your money reimbursed.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
What were the payment instructions on the listing?
If they were offering Paypal as an option then you could insist on using Paypal. If the instructions were payment by bank transfer only then you are bound by the terms to pay using the bank transfer, as this was part of the conditions of sale. Is the item local and could you pick it up? If so you could offer cash on collection for your peace of mind. I do believe you will be protected by Ebay's guarantee.

Check their feedback, I always check especially if they are new. If they have made a lot of small purchase ( ie £1 and under in the last couple of months ) then I would be a little suspicious as they want a lot of positive feedback for very little outlay.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just look at their ratings and buyers/sellers comments.

Direct deposit is no big deal if they have 100% ratings.

I've direct deposited many times with no issues.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If the seller has a positive feedback of say 98%, plus if you look at the feedback on previous items he has sold, then i do not think that for 1 item you will get tucked up.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Pay pal fees are a rip off...I refuse to pay pay pal... if feedback ok I`d be happy to put note in envelope....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd be very wary, paying direct into a bank account is second only to Western Union as a dodgy deal for the Lads from Lagos and if done right, it's virtually untraceable.

Can you check the email headers to confirm it is genuiely from Ebay ? Does the name on the account match the registered name/address ?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

How long has seller been using. Less than a year = worry, more than 5 go ahead

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Just don't do it , if the seller has asked you to do this then it against Ebay rules and if you are scammed or just unhappy with your purchase then Ebay won't help you . You're only option then would be civil action . Best option would be to walk away from the sale , report the seller and let them deal with it .

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

depends whether talking £20 or £500...use a bit of common sense........

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Thanks everyone. Pulled out of deal. Did some further investigation and it turns out to be a con. No harm done but it pays to be careful. I've learned a lesson the easy way.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I would be dubious. PayPal refunds can be taken from the seller by eBay. Once the money is in their account by transfer there's nothing you can do other than leave bad feedback.

As far as I know it is obligatory that you have a paypal account to sell on ebay. I'd refuse and say you will only pay by paypal if you have any concerns. (FWIW I am a near 3000 item ebay seller and probably bought 400-500 items too)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What were the payment instructions on the listing?
If they were offering Paypal as an option then you could insist on using Paypal. If the instructions were payment by bank transfer only then you are bound by the terms to pay using the bank transfer, as this was part of the conditions of sale. Is the item local and could you pick it up? If so you could offer cash on collection for your peace of mind. I do believe you will be protected by Ebay's guarantee.

Check their feedback, I always check especially if they are new. If they have made a lot of small purchase ( ie £1 and under in the last couple of months ) then I would be a little suspicious as they want a lot of positive feedback for very little outlay.

Referring to my post above this one, as a seller on ebay you are required to accept paypal, not an option.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I bought a diving watch from Japan. Works perfectly. Very pleased with it. Had to pay VAT on it but still cheaper than buying it in the UK.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Thanks everyone. Pulled out of deal. Did some further investigation and it turns out to be a con. No harm done but it pays to be careful. I've learned a lesson the easy way.

Pleased to hear that ,if you haven't already done so then do report the seller to Ebay , hopefully they will be naru rapidly .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here