• No thanks no flags

Votes: 182 83.5%

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Refugees Welcome Flags v Hull City-Do you want them

A campaign has been launched by Yvette Cooper

Labour leadership candidate Yvette Cooper and MP Chris Bryant are writing to every Premier League club to urge them to allow supporters to unfurl #refugeeswelcome banners in a show of solidarity with those seeking help in Britain.
Only one Premier League club’s supporters’ group – Aston Villa – have so far backed the #refugeeswelcomeEFL support group who are campaigning for banners to mark an “English Football League Day of Solidarity” a week on Saturday. Supporters have been previously prevented from flying flags which are perceived to be of a political nature and Bryant, who is supporting Cooper’s bid to become Labour leader, told clubs to allow fans the right of expression.
“It would be a real shame if the football clubs either prevented fans from expressing their views and holding up banners, or players from taking part in that show of support,” Bryant toldThe Independent.
As opposition grew to Prime Minister David Cameron’s reluctance to grant a safe haven to a substantial number of the tens of thousands fleeing violence in Syria, Afghanistan and beyond, fans of Charlton Athletic and Swindon Town pledged support for the banner campaign, with Villa’s supporters preparing a show of support for refugees during their next game, away at Leicester. But three clubs is a meagre expression of solidarity compared with the compassion fans in Germany, Sweden and Spain have demonstrated for those fleeing war and conflict.
There has been markedly less evidence of British clubs’ supporters acting as a force for good in the war on xenophobia and suspicion of those seeking shelter. Banners demonstrating a welcome for refugees have been seen at FC United of Manchester, the fan-run club established by Manchester United supporters in protest at the corporatisation of their club. The equally enlightened Dulwich Hamlets and Clapton FC have also lead the way. But Germany has a far more extended network of clubs using the power of their profile to encourage an understanding of those forced to flee their homelands.
With the international break giving clubs and supporters an opportunity to plan a show of support, the Premier League is understandably encouraging clubs to establish strong lines of communication with fans, ensuring that there are no conflicts over banners not complying with safety regulations.
Celtic have said they will donate their share of the proceeds from a weekend of charity events in Dunfermline to assist people affected by the refugee crisis. But British football’s contribution pales by comparison with Germany – where Bayern Munich’s pledged to donate €1m (£730,000m) to help refugees and set up a training camp for those arriving in Munich.
“FC Bayern see it as its social responsibility to help those fleeing and suffering children, women and men, to support them and accompany them in Germany,” the Bayern chief executive, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...r-those-seeking-help-in-britain-10485360.html

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd have thought the decision to take a flag of this nature (or anything similar) into a ground would be a personal decision for that individual or group of fans. Somehow, it would lessen the gesture for me if the likes of Yvette Cooper are jumping on the bandwagon & using it to make some sort of political capital.

The banners displayed initially at certain German games looked to me like spontaneous & heartfelt representations of their owners' feelings on a difficult subject. If they started popping up at English games now it would smack of people doing it because they thought they should be seen to be doing something. The spontaneity would be gone & it would all seem a bit forced.

If people wish to express their feelings on the matter, I've no problem with that whatsoever, but at least do something original rather than just copying something you saw in the papers.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
some clubs have already signed up to this( see article) it would be interesting if BHAFC if they also had to consider this looked at this poll to gauge public opinion

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
some clubs have already signed up to this( see article) it would be interesting if BHAFC if they also had to consider this looked at this poll to gauge public opinion

You see, that's where my issue lies. Why should clubs have to "sign up" to it? Stuff like this is a personal choice, not a decision taken by the Football League or the FA or whoever. I know certain messages can't be displayed in football stadiums, and probably with good reason, but I still don't think people should have to seek approval from a bunch of suits in order to take a banner into a game.

Where on earth would Chelsea fans be if the club had to approve all their (admittedly piss poor in the main) hand-crayoned banners?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No, it is against Football Regulations and I see no reason to bend the rules for this issue. Next we will have David Cameron asking for flags supporting a yes vote in the EU referendum.

If people want to show the wider public what their views are, then not an issue in a free society just don't do it at football grounds.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'd have thought the decision to take a flag of this nature (or anything similar) into a ground would be a personal decision for that individual or group of fans. Somehow, it would lessen the gesture for me if the likes of Yvette Cooper are jumping on the bandwagon & using it to make some sort of political capital.

The banners displayed initially at certain German games looked to me like spontaneous & heartfelt representations of their owners' feelings on a difficult subject. If they started popping up at English games now it would smack of people doing it because they thought they should be seen to be doing something. The spontaneity would be gone & it would all seem a bit forced.

If people wish to express their feelings on the matter, I've no problem with that whatsoever, but at least do something original rather than just copying something you saw in the papers.

Agreed, we also have a cultural dynamic to consider here too.

The Germans have a long history of choreographed political flag waving in arenas.........

Just because it's a different flag this time, there's still no need for us in Blighty to get involved.

Leave them too it.

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Slightly rich when we spend a minute in silence before a match remembering the victims of war, but we don't want to acknowledge the refugees?

The Germans are applauding the refugees as they enter their country whilst we're spending £7 million on fencing at Calais. Is itreally too political to hold a flag at a football match saying 'Refugees welcome'?

Where's our humanity gone?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You see, that's where my issue lies. Why should clubs have to "sign up" to it? Stuff like this is a personal choice, not a decision taken by the Football League or the FA or whoever. I know certain messages can't be displayed in football stadiums, and probably with good reason, but I still don't think people should have to seek approval from a bunch of suits in order to take a banner into a game.

Where on earth would Chelsea fans be if the club had to approve all their (admittedly piss poor in the main) hand-crayoned banners?

i agree with you 100% we shouldnt have to sign up at all,we do however live in a world where social media and social pressure rules the roost,its quite likely given what is going on in Europe and people launching a campaign the club might have to make a decision whether or not to join in,considering other clubs have pledged already including Villa without discussing it with their fans it would be nice to think the club could look here on NSC and say it influenced a decision

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Political statements are against the regulations which the flags would be displaying.

Nonsense. There's plenty of FL and club initiatives which could be deemed analogous in nature to helping victims of a civil war; these don't seem to suffer.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Slightly rich when we spend a minute in silence before a match remembering the victims of war, but we don't want to acknowledge the refugees?

The Germans are applauding the refugees as they enter their country whilst we're spending £7 million on fencing at Calais. Is itreally too political to hold a flag at a football match saying 'Refugees welcome'?

Where's our humanity gone?

When you say the victims of war do you mean the minutes silence at the Remembrance Sunday weekend?

I am not aware of any other minutes silence, I may be wrong.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
When you say the victims of war do you mean the minutes silence at the Remembrance Sunday weekend?

I am not aware of any other minutes silence, I may be wrong.

Maybe he's referring to the minutes silence for the Brighton fan that lost his life serving a while back? Not sure.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
In what way? The club handed us all flags at the first AMEX game.

I got a Brighton flag, i don't think the Doncaster fans got them presumably because they were not there to support BHA. Had i been handed a flag that was nothing to do with football, then depending on the wording i may have kept it and used it in a more appropriate place...eg a demo say in London or wherever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here