Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jimmy Greaves needs YOUR help..?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And there are Tottenham playing waster like striker Adebayor £100K per week. £30K is 4 days net wages for a bloke that hasn't scored a Prem goal for almost a 2 years.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
A legend..I have donated so I hope others will. he deserves it.
I remember back in 1985 after we beat Liverpool at the Goldstone 2-0 in the FA cup, I was walking home with my Dad and this was before the days of the By-Pass so all traffic used the Old Shoreham Road and Preston Circus to get out of Brighton. The traffic was always jammed and by the time we walked to the bottom of New England Hill there was Jimmy in his sponsored Ford Granada with the writing "On the Ball" on the side. I had my Brighton shirt and with a beaming happy 14 year old smile from beating League Champions Liverpool and Jimmy gave me the thumbs up. He made the day even better for me. I bet he had a great laugh winding up Mr St-John.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I'm very sorry for Jimmy Greaves but I won't be donating. He made a good living after football from TV and corporate work and there are many people who've had less opportunities in life in equally desperate circumstances that we've never heard of because they aren't famous.

I don't mean to sound callous, I wish him all the best and hope he gets the treatment he needs. But appeals like this strike a wrong note to me.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Isn't there a fund or something similar set up by the PFA that all current players pay into that is supposed to help ex-players in these circumstances? I seem to remember a hoo-hah about it years ago when it was discovered that David Beckham paid the same amount per month into it as a player in League 2 (ie it was a fixed fee per month per player).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Isn't there a fund or something similar set up by the PFA that all current players pay into that is supposed to help ex-players in these circumstances? I seem to remember a hoo-hah about it years ago when it was discovered that David Beckham paid the same amount per month into it as a player in League 2 (ie it was a fixed fee per month per player).

I know Everton have a scheme that supports ex-players, and assumed all top clubs would. Peanuts for them.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm very sorry for Jimmy Greaves but I won't be donating. He made a good living after football from TV and corporate work and there are many people who've had less opportunities in life in equally desperate circumstances that we've never heard of because they aren't famous.

I don't mean to sound callous, I wish him all the best and hope he gets the treatment he needs. But appeals like this strike a wrong note to me.

I think I can understand where you're coming from...I certainly hope he gets himself sorted and if people want to help out then that's brilliant. Equally though, there must be many more people out there in similar positions to Jimmy Greaves who don't have a national newspaper to champion their cause. The target has now been hit, going by the JustGiving page. It does very much look like it's the general public who've made the donations. Great news for him: at least he won't end up having to sell his house to get treatment, unlike many Joe Publics who've also suffered the effects of a stroke.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Also read recently that players are effectively members for life once they've registered and subscribed. Applies to the 17 year old who gets a professional contract and is binned off a couple of years later as much as the Beckhams of this world. Means that the kids who get released can apply to the PFA for training courses, funding support for education and so on.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Also read recently that players are effectively members for life once they've registered and subscribed. Applies to the 17 year old who gets a professional contract and is binned off a couple of years later as much as the Beckhams of this world. Means that the kids who get released can apply to the PFA for training courses, funding support for education and so on.

That's it. I think it is the PFA Benevolent Fund - there is certainly a charity by that name anyway. There is also a PFA Education Fund.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Have to agree with what your saying. Like you I feel sorry for him and I hope he gets his treatment but I won't be donating either.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's it. I think it is the PFA Benevolent Fund - there is certainly a charity by that name anyway.

Certainly that should be the first port of call, assuming JG meets all the criteria of that fund. Else Tottenham should do the decent thing and just write the damn cheque out of petty cash. Shouldn't even be an issue. Sake!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Certainly that should be the first port of call, assuming JG meets all the criteria of that fund. Else Tottenham should do the decent thing and just write the damn cheque out of petty cash. Shouldn't even be an issue. Sake!

Quite, although to give them their due, Tottenham have been working on his house for him since the Stroke to make things easier for them. Quite why they will not pay for rehab is a bit odd, but there you go.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Very this, just because he was a footballer - and deserving of the overused term legend, doesn't mean he's any more deserving than hundreds or thousands of others who didn't get lucrative TV contracts

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I would hope that now Tottenham know his financial predicament that someone like the captain would go round his fellow players and organize a quick whiparound.
A couple of grand each is loose change to these players and the money doesn't need to be found outside these circles.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I would hope that now Tottenham know his financial predicament that someone like the captain would go round his fellow players and organize a quick whiparound.
A couple of grand each is loose change to these players and the money doesn't need to be found outside these circles.

Most first team EPL players arent English so i suspect have little or no affiliation with this. The club or PFA need to get into gear

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Most first team EPL players arent English so i suspect have little or no affiliation with this. The club or PFA need to get into gear

And the general public should not be asked to contribute a single penny, what with all the millions currently sloshing about in the game.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I hope JG gets his treatment, but like many others, it's a no from me.

PFA, Tottenham, his own earnings whilst a pundit, and lastly the likes of Lineker, Hanson, Lawro etc still earn a small fortune when compared to the bloke on the street, these should all be contributing long before a national newspaper gets involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here