Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It Was Alright in the 1970's

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
We were only talking about 70's stuff on the SDU Facebook page on Friday night, straight out of the Python sketch, try telling the kids of today and the wouldn't believe you.
One of the things that did make us laugh, do you remember the 3 day week and power cuts, remember your parents filling the paraffin heater by candlelight, elf and saftey would have a field day these days.
Being able to park your car in any damn street you liked, free of charge or trying to record the top 20 on a Sunday night and trying to hit pause before the DJ spoke.
The Cup Final being the only club match live on TV and when it finished you'd actually have to get out of your chair to turn it over.
I'd love to see this programme but I doubt I'll be able to see it online.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
One of my childhood heroes too although I'm not sure why. Only remember him on 'heads and tails'. What else did he do? Used to love him though.
Play School mainly. Him, Fred Harris and Carol Leader were always my favourites. Derek Griffiths dabbled in acting as well - usually when a comedy foreigner was required. Bizarrely, he played a Spaniard in Don't Drink The Water - the spin off from On The Buses.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I was however a bit disappointed at Derek Griffiths being shown a clips of him singing Melting Pot and doing slitty eyes when singing about a Chinky. He couldn't see a problem even in retrospect. One of my childhood heroes.

No idea why but I have an early childhood memory of DG appearing on Play School and proudly exclaiming, as only he could, that this pylons1.jpg was an electricity pylon but of course, it did not grow but was put there.
Absolutely flummoxed as to why this has stuck.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
For those of you that missed Don't Drink The Water, here is a taste. Which is probably plenty! (Spoken as someone who has watched both series).

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Watched it. Very funny but a little cringe worthy. Watched Kate Bush at the BBC after. Is she the most sensual (sexy sounds wrong for her) women of that time? She pisses on Debbie Harry, Suzie Quatro and Sally James (or is that just me?)

video link, PLLEEAZZZE!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Play School mainly. Him, Fred Harris and Carol Leader were always my favourites. Derek Griffiths dabbled in acting as well - usually when a comedy foreigner was required. Bizarrely, he played a Spaniard in Don't Drink The Water - the spin off from On The Buses.

Was that even worse than the spin-off of "Are You Being Served?" That was monumentally awful.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just watching now on catch up. Great clips from The Tomorrow People. Incredible to think we were happily entertained by the worst acting and special effects imaginable.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I loved all the Public Information films, like "Don't play near deep water," "Don't play on farms (10 lttle indians?), "Don't fvck about on railways / electricity sub-stations etc."

Above all, I think I loved the uncomplicatedness of it all.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I loved all the Public Information films, like "Don't play near deep water," "Don't play on farms (10 lttle indians?), "Don't fvck about on railways / electricity sub-stations etc."

Above all, I think I loved the uncomplicatedness of it all.

There is a thread of these somewhere on NSC worth looking for.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Hmm. 'celebs' feigning disgust at stuff they might well have been up to themselves, or are actually too young to even know about.

Why is tv filled with so many z-listers?

Hear my VOICE! We want proper TALENT- STRICTLY no cheeseball media whooers...

I'll get me coat

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
One of my favourite TV series of the 70s was Play for Today. Some of the best of British Playwriters, Directors and Actors cut their teeth in this series. Brimstone and Treacle by Dennis Potter is one that sticks most freshly in my mind. Probably because it wasn't broadcast until 1987 even though it was made in 1976. (Not the Sting version, the one starring Michael Kitchen) Great theme music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WRSF4QsfpU

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I 'd lie to punch those 3 wankers sitting on the sofa

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bulletproof vest scene was staggering.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
For those of you that missed Don't Drink The Water, here is a taste. Which is probably plenty! (Spoken as someone who has watched both series).

It's great how they managed to find genuine Spanish actors. A sophisticated well thought out labyrinth of a plot with a very subtle twist at the end. Laugh! I could not stop myself! The neighbours were banging on the wall. Fawlty Towers? Fawlty Shmowers! This is REAL comedy gold!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here