Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Dickenson

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Indeed, he had such talent but never took advantage of it on the pitch

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As I recall for a tall man he had real problems getting off the ground to head the ball.

Mind you he also had problems breaking into a trot most of the time :lolol:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Barry Lloyd had scouted him; when Lloyd heard that Slade was thinking of bidding for him (for an initial ₤300k), Lloyd apparently told the manager "He waddles around the pitch and can't jump. His first touch is crap, can't head the ball."

A little over six months after we signed him, he was going out on loan to Peterborough. He was sold after the end of the season for half of what we paid for him.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Barry Lloyd had scouted him; when Lloyd heard that Slade was thinking of bidding for him (for an initial ₤300k), Lloyd apparently told the manager "He waddles around the pitch and can't jump. His first touch is crap, can't head the ball."

A little over six months after we signed him, he was going out on loan to Peterborough. He was sold after the end of the season for half of what we paid for him.
That sounds very much like something written in 'The Nowhere Men', a book all about the world of scouting.

It might even be that story, I have to admit it's been a while since I read it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

And Salde still wasting money on crap strikers at Cardiff, signed Doyle for a load and he has gone out on loan already

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Yep, that is the source of the quote.
Excellent. I too saw your post and instantly thought of that book. Reminds me that I still need to finish it actually before I order Calvin's new one, think I'll crack on this weekend.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Excellent. I too saw your post and instantly thought of that book. Reminds me that I still need to finish it actually before I order Calvin's new one, think I'll crack on this weekend.

Just started Calvins new one but early doors it isn't massively interesting so hope it will perk up. However I have also just download Das Reboot about the rebirth of German football and so far it's a cracking read

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
His new book is even better - you won't be disappointed
Just started Calvins new one but early doors it isn't massively interesting so hope it will perk up. However I have also just download Das Reboot about the rebirth of German football and so far it's a cracking read
Mixed reviews then! Cheers though, am expecting good things.

Might investigate into Das Reboot also - huge fan of Rafa Honigstein but have never gotten round to reading any of his books (assuming he's written more than just this one).

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Playing and scoring for Guisley in the Conference, another waste of talent

Gone up a division then. Saw him playing last season for a (very poor) Stalybridge Celtic team , losing 2-0 at home to Oxford City. Started at Centre Back, moved up front last 20 mjns in desperate attempt for Staly to get back in the game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here